ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo T1R- tyres for track?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Got a set of TOYO T1Rs for daily road use primarily, (Cheap) then if it gets too wet on track when I'm using the Yoko AD08r's on the track (Which don't wear well, but are really grippy) I would then put them on .

Ive used the T1Rs for about 3 months and they seem OK in the dry, (Wouldnt want to test them too much) but the recent wet weather they are quite exciting, as they wheel spin, and slip all over the place. Seem a hard compound, and worse when below zero temperature

Does anyone use them for track use, and are they as pants in the wet as I am experiencing?

Yoko's are fab, but twice the price, and I wrecked a pair of Yokos in one day at Lydden

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The internetz will tell you that you'll die if you put T1r on your car - 905 of those who do haven't even tried them.
I had them years ago on my first 328 sport, they were fine for me, they did flex a fair bit though. In the wet I remember them being OK, better than budgets obviously but nothing major. A step up from budgets I'd say but tyres have come a long way since I had them!
I've heard the AD08R aren't that bad in the wet to be honest.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’ve never used them, road or track.

I have used better road tyres on track so feel I give an honest assessment.

Don’t bother.

:)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
The internetz will tell you that you'll die if you put T1r on your car - 905 of those who do haven't even tried them.
I had them years ago on my first 328 sport, they were fine for me, they did flex a fair bit though. In the wet I remember them being OK, better than budgets obviously but nothing major. A step up from budgets I'd say but tyres have come a long way since I had them!
I've heard the AD08R aren't that bad in the wet to be honest.

AD08's are pretty good in wet, just wanted a back up set, and cant seem to get on with the T1Rs in the wet. Maybe lower the pressure a bit.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'm looking forward to trying out the AD08Rs.
Or have I already? What were those tyres on that Clio you sold me @imprezaworks ? Yoko something or other.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had them several times. I'd have second thoughts about driving to the track with them if it's wet! On par with mickey wing wangs in my experience.

You can get better for the money for sure.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I have used T1-r’s a few times on track, I thought they were fine perhaps a little soft on the sidewall but I wasn’t driving like a pro so it didn’t matter. The tracks were dry though but I never thought I’d be going through a hedge backwards driving on wet roads with them.

I’m more interested in how you ruined a set of new AD08r in one day.

Something definitely wrong with toe/camber, cold or hot pressures or driving style if you’re not exaggerating.

As far as trackday tyres go AD08Rs are definitely the best of the budget-bunch (595 RSR, NS2R), but premium road tyres (PS3, Conti SportContact etc) are definitely faster and less “all or nothing” in terms of grip.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I actually preferred the rsr but was on a different car so not a true test.

Ruined a set of ado8’s in a day, good effort

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Loved mine in the dry at Bedford. Not quick, but very fun.

On a side note.. PS3's are worse than T1r's in the wet, almost lost it the other day!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My theory is always that if you can drive fast & hone your skill on T1R’s (or similar), you always run rings around everyone who has “grown up on R888s” when you progress to a stickier tyre.

Less grip also allows you to find the weak point in a chassis (& driver) far easier. As an aside, its also ruddy good fun finding the limits!!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I’m more interested in how you ruined a set of new AD08r in one day.
Something definitely wrong with toe/camber, cold or hot pressures or driving style if you’re not exaggerating.

The set of 4 had been used for about 3 hours track time and 4 months over summer on the road
Lydden is really twisty circuit, and took some advice from an ex pro and dropped the pressure to about 25psi on front for grip
The front nearside was wrecked after 8 x 20 min sessions, most of the excessive wear down the centre. The offside front wasnt much better, but probably ok for a few more sesh's, but been advised replaced both. both rears seem fine.

Will not be dropping pressures that low again, although the grip and performance from them was fab. Lapped the whole session at one stage, and had a decent duel with the ex-pro.... but wrecked the front tyres.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
Loved mine in the dry at Bedford. Not quick, but very fun.

On a side note.. PS3's are worse than T1r's in the wet, almost lost it the other day!
Not just me then, they feel hard and slippery to me in cold/wet conditions compared to cheaper alternatives.

most of the excessive wear down the centre.

I’m with JB21, absolutely textbook sign of hot pressure far too high, or a damper failure.

25psi is sensible for hillclimb, single-lap sprints, qualifying etc but not 20 min sessions on a circuit without any long straights for cooling.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, central wear mean you need to drop the pressures more, aim for around 28psi hot on the fronts, so do a 20 min session and check pressures
as for t1r, use them on road few times over the years and they are on par with parade spec 2, soft and wobbly but functional enough
I use rainsports and ps3's for road now and both are light years ahead for wet and dry grip, although the rainsports are soft so wear quick. never had an issue with Michelin in the wet, grip just as well as the rainsports

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sorry for track I wouldn't use the t1r or parada spec 2 type tyres personally. I use the ps3 for wets as well on track and perform really well, did a day at Mallory in torrential rain other month and without sounding like 'that guy' I was quickest out there when the weather was its worst.
dry for track I typically use Michelin ginetta slicks, but I have used R888's in past. I now have some AD08R and R888R's to try once I kill off the current slicks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve used parada spec 2 in the summer on a previous phase 1 at Oulton and they were spot on. Enough to lap 2.12 in an otherwise standard ish car.

2.10 in over better specced cars as a comparison.

Of no use I know but thought I’d mention.

:)

sorry for track I wouldn't use the t1r or parada spec 2 type tyres personally. I use the ps3 for wets as well on track and perform really well, did a day at Mallory in torrential rain other month and without sounding like 'that guy' I was quickest out there when the weather was its worst.
dry for track I typically use Michelin ginetta slicks, but I have used R888's in past. I now have some AD08R and R888R's to try once I kill off the current slicks
Where do you get the slicks from mate and what compound do you use?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
trawl ebay usually chap @JB21 no idea on compound, never really looked into it that far but the ones from the ginetta series which are Michelin I think are pretty hard as they seem to last forever. I've had dunlops off ebay before as well, no idea where from originally, but they were far grippier but also wore out in like 3 trackdays max.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
If you're wear is in the centre then the pressures where to high hot. At the CSF Blyton recently my cold front pressures where 18psi after cooling down.

Presumably you didn't check hot pressure throughout the day? l

Didnt check pressure for first 3 seshs ( 1 x 20min sesh per hour) when they were set at 27psi on advice from threads on this site, after that were checked and dropped to 25psi at every sesh. (Ex pro wanted me to drop to 20psi- i said no lol) Next time out took the first lap pretty easy, so to warm up.
They do warn you at Lydden that the Circuit absolutely eats tyres, as so many corners virtually no strights, but its also really good for small motors that like cornering. So they got a hammering.
In fact only one front got worn down centre, the other just had lots cracks on the shoulder, which looks like lumps are gonna drop out

No doubt i didnt do something right, but had great fun. just gonna cost me £160 for a new pair!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
as above, central wear mean you need to drop the pressures more, aim for around 28psi hot on the fronts, so do a 20 min session and check pressures
Couldnt aim for 28psi, as set them at 25psi, and still had central wear on one front.
I like to muse that i am just an animal on the track :tongueout:

@JB21 generally all the used Michelins flying round are the S9 (hardest) compound. Purely because most Michelin championships don’t allow a choice (Clio, Ginetta Supercup etc).

Whereas every Dunlop series I’ve come across e.g. BTCC, Britcar & the old 24hr series do allow a choice so you get a mixture of medium/firm on ebay. Dunlop compound codes are a total mystery to me though!

Bit dubious of this “ex pro.” 20psi hot is the sort of number you aim for on an F3 car so maybe he’s not had a tin top background. Main thing is having fun though and you can definitely do that without getting bogged down in a few psi

Last edited:
Yeah seen the Michelin slicks are mostly hard compound, S9 as you say. I wanted a soft for the rear and medium up front. Think Kumho do different compounds, might have to buy new though.

Don’t fancy a hard compound on the rear of a Clio. Currently use Avon ZZS wets (20 treadwear) on the rear and Pirelli Trofeo R on the front (60 treadwear), not tried the latter yet though.