ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyo Proxy T1-R's??!

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Was out at the garage getting my new exhaust fitted on Sat and decided to get new front tyres at the same.

I knew the tread was getting low on the corners but really noticed the poor grip on the way out the road as it was quite wet.

Anyway...Decided to opt for toyo proxy T1-R's on the recommendation of the guy at the garage (who usually knows his stuff).

I've had T1-S's in the past and they were 'ok' but the T1-R's are AWFUL in the wet!!

In my view, when you get new tyres they should feel awesome compared to the old worn ones but it actually has less grip in the wet than the worn uniroyal rainsports did!!

Literally no grip at all in the wet and I feel like I'm treading on egg shells now as it understeers really easily!

I checked the pressures the garage put in and they were too hard (40 odd psi) so I lowered them to my usual 32psi but it's no better really.

Anyone else got any experience with the T1-R's?

Cheers,

David

106 GTi
Found the S crap in the damp on my old 205 GTi so have not bothered with them since. I have driven a mates 172 on the R's and found them slightly better, not as good as Goodyear F1s or Exaltos IMO.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Definately worrying how bad they feel!

I never really boot it 'that' much in the wet but even on roundabouts etc I really notice a SEVERE lack of grip from the front!

Got exaltos on the back still...Do you think it's be a bad move swapping the T1-R's onto the back. I prefer oversteer but don't want to stick them on the back and end up facing the wrong way everytime I go round a round about.

106 GTi
Remember the tyres will take a few hundred miles to lose the mold release crap of them too.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
I did think of that but wasn't sure how long that took lol (ie. a few miles or a few hundred)

Not been on a dry road yet so probably still got all that crap on them.

I'll leave it till the next dry day and give them a bit of stick then see how they fair in the wet.

Fingers crossed they improve!

Octavia vRS tfsi
I have T1-R's on the front. I find them excellent in the dry.

I don't drive hard in the wet, but they certainly don't 'just understeer' everywhere either.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
I have T1-R's on the front. I find them excellent in the dry.

I don't drive hard in the wet, but they certainly don't 'just understeer' everywhere either.

Thanks mate,

They have only seen soaking wet roads since Saturday so hoping once they see a dry road they'll be better in the wet afterwards.

Cheers,

David

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Haha, yeah toyos are crap, i tried them once, been waiting for them to wear out so i can never buy them again. i ordered 2 uniroyal rainsports from mytyres 2 weeks ago (had them fitted originally before i foolishly wasted my money on toyos) , went to the fititng staion saturday, and the guy was like why did you want uniroyals, (with their toyo dealers stickers everywhere, and loads of toyos tyres all out), and i told him they suit the car better, paid my £11.75 and drive off with my nice grippy tyres. now to just wear out the other 2 toyos

Lionel Richie
Toyos are by far the best dry weather tyre (for the money) available

and in the wet they very good as long as you get the pressures correct

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Toyos are by far the best dry weather tyre (for the money) available

and in the wet they very good as long as you get the pressures correct

What sort of pressure would you run them at mate?

I've got them at 32psi (front) and got my exaltos at 30psi (rear).

Cheers,

David

Lionel Richie
can't really answer that tbh as its personal choice, but for dry weather we run 30psi all round

wet they're down at 25 from memory

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Cheers mate.

I'll have a play about with the pressures once I've had them on a dry road then back onto the wet.

Prob end up dropping them a couple of psi.

VX220 lightning
Ive got TR's and run them at 28psi... which has massively improved the performance from 32psi...

The only thing i would say about them is there not great in slightly damp conditions but "proper" rain there pretty good..

Im also abit dissappointed as to amount of miles im gonna get from them (estimate about 7000-9000 max)

Welcome to the L4yer
Proxes T1-Rs rule in the dry and are okay in the wet. I have had Yoko A539s and they are s**t in the wet.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
^^Cheers for the input bud.

I knew the old T1-S's wore really quick (I went through a set on my old rover in a matter of a few months - it did chew tyres though) but the guy at the garage said the T1-R's are designed to wear slightly better.

Will def fiddle with pressures etc in both wet and dry and try and get the best out of them all round.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
I have them on my 172 and my brother has them on his s1 exige

done 3 trackdays in the exige both wet and dry and they were really good until they start to heat up.

on the exige 22 on the rear on the dry and 20 on the front for best grip, any harder and they get skittery. if you know what i mean?! thats a light car though, so slightly harder for the clio i would imagine

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
i just switched from the t1-s's to the t1-r's, both are brilliant provided you get the psi correct, i have mine all the way down to 23/24psi, i find that people like to fill them way to high at around 30 psi... feels like your driving on glass even at 28psi imo so keep it low ;)

CX-7,westfield,ix20
23/24 seems a tad low like. I'd have thought you'd have got an awful lot of wear on the outer edges of the tyres at such a low psi?

Clio 172, 2001
Exalto PE2's, 33Psi F, 29 Psi R. Sorted.

I tried a set of Toyo's once, first time it rained I ended up in the weeds.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I have T1R's on my clio, I havnt done that many miles but find them fine. The only downside i would say is they cause a harder ride having a reinforced sidewall. I tested this theory with my cooper s, running back to back with t1r's and yoko parada spec 2s, the paradas gave an unbelievably better ride! However they were very noisy and wore quickly!

Im going to try lower the pressures in mine now, im currently running 31psi front and 29 rear, will try 29/27 i think! :)

VX220 lightning
i just switched from the t1-s's to the t1-r's, both are brilliant provided you get the psi correct, i have mine all the way down to 23/24psi, i find that people like to fill them way to high at around 30 psi... feels like your driving on glass even at 28psi imo so keep it low ;)

ill try and drop mine a bit then!

you have them that low on the back too?

Been just reading this thread and is it safe to put your tyre pressures as low as 24/25 psi (on standard size 195/45 r16 tyres)?

Will the not have a risk of coming off rim at that low pressure ? :S

Fiesta Silver Limited Ed.
Been just reading this thread and is it safe to put your tyre pressures as low as 24/25 psi (on standard size 195/45 r16 tyres)?

Will the not have a risk of coming off rim at that low pressure ? :S

id keep them 27 or upwards IMO. currently got 195/50 r15 tyres, can i drop to a 195/45 r15 without any problems

Monblue bombay badboy!
I put cheap tyres on my ph-quick all brand new went into a roundabout lost all grip bang wrote it off! I have toyo`s on my 172ff and i find in the wet they are rubbish and understeer like crazy! When i get my turinis it will be PE2` all the way :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
dunno...I had T1-s and they were horse s**t...and jem had T1-R on his DC2 and they were a bit skittish!