ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Towing eye query

ST TDCI
:S Is the thread for towing eyes different on different age cars?

I have just bought a s/s towing eye and it wont fit!

The std towing eye in the tool kit measures about 16.3mm in dia where as the new one measures nearer 17mm and wont fit?

I guess I can have the thread recut at work but am surprised there are 2 sizes or???

Cheers Dave:cool:

RS6 C7
Only one size as far as i know, Did you get it off eBay mate? If so it might be from us!

You may need to clean the thread on the tow eye hole as they get clogged up with crap.

ST TDCI
No not of ebay but I think it is one of yours - certainly looks the same as the one in the pics on your advert.

The 2 threads measure about 0.6mm different - even the std one was a bit tight but as you say I put that down to crap in the thread - I did give a clean as best I could and a good squirt with WD40 to try and flush the crap out - but the new one just doesnt look like its going to fit:S

Not different between phases?

RS6 C7
Never known any issues with fitting on any of the Phases. I will check tomorrow at work and measure the threads of the one's in stock. They are usually all checked on thread gauges though so i would doubt it would be that. Just occasionally you do get on with tighter threads if a tips gone etc.

Si

RS Clio 172
It's an M16 thread. The believe they cut the thread on the standard ones knowing the hole would clog up. That's why it's a looser fit.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
do the s/s tow eyes fit in the rear one ok and clear the bumper?

dont have an original to use and need to fit a tow eye in the rear to move the car.
have a s/s one here but cars miles away so cant test it.