ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tow hook thread

got my tow hook and went to put it on today but it seem to start and get tight any idea what the thread size is??
thanks

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I got my tow the other day, it took ages of going in and out before it got all the way in, it is very tight.

Use a piece of metal or something to put through the ring to make it easier.

E46 M3
The thread will be rusty and full of crap. I got a toothbrush and WD40 down mine to clean it up, you will still need a bar through the ring though. Its good its tight, stops it being nicked!

Si

RS Clio 172
I've sold hundred of these and you're the first to have a problem fitting it. It's the same with any threaded element on a car... they corrode and you need to treat them with care before thinking about screwing anything into/out of the thread. If you try and remove a bolt from a rusted thread it's likely, if you don't treat the area with care, that the bolt will shear if you put too much force though it. The same applies in reverse for this.

I had my bumper off, cleaned the thread thoroughly and as a result I can screw my towing eye in by hand.

You need to have cleaned the thread thoroughly if you are at all worried about it being a tight fit.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
How did you bend that? I got mine from Si and I don't think its actually possible to break that thing!

Si

RS Clio 172
I've bent the ring on one when I loaded it up in a test rig at work. I've seen one other one bend also. but generally they seem pretty tough. They're not the stiffest of things though as I didn't want them snapping!

Si

RS Clio 172
which bit bent mate? the ring?

use a dremel or something with a little wire brush attachment. Or take the bumper off like i did. lol.