ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

torsion bar tools?

clio mk1 ph1
im gona lower my clio tomorrow i was just wondering what tools i need. its a mark1 phase 1 please help cheers

For front, swan neck spanner+ allen key or impact wrench.
Other spanners and such to whck out the dampners. Will need spring compressors.

Rear, slide hammer, ruler and LOTs of WD-40 :D

Honda Civic Type R '02
I assume u know whats what with the front macpherson struts....
The proper tool u will need for the torsion bar is a slide hammer. however they are not easy to come by, i only seen them online.
I fabricated the tools for the torsion bar when i did mine. U basiclly need to just pull it out (v stiff). So i screwed a high tensile M10 bolt into the end of the T-bar then wound a nut down the bolt onto a cylinder (closed at one end, like a baked bean can, (with a 10mm hole in it)) and this converts the screwing circular motion into a lateral force.

Its quite hard to describe in writing, there are a few walkthroughs around.
I suggest you familiarise urself with thr task before jumping into it. U dont want to get stuck and have a car with only half of its suspension. ;)

P.S don't take the baked bean can analogy literally, u will need something a lot stronger than that. :D

good luck

Honda Civic Type R '02
yeh, and dont forget about the spring compressors, or else lowering ur car will be the last thing you do.

CB600FS
A couple of days before you do it, soak the lot in penetrating oil, don't be shy with it, and do it the day before aswell. Wire brushing the bolts aswell will held no end. I'd recommend a cheap 1/2 inch impact wrench, saves loads of time and loads easier.

If you haven't got the proper tool, I'd recommend the bolt in the end of the shaft, and the large socket over it, and wind the nut method. Don't forget a big hammer

clio mk1 ph1
i have a slide hammer if i just thread that in n pull it out tht way will it work? but how will i get it equal on each side is it a spline that u just have to move q couple of turns n just slide back in?

Dci 100
remove both the bars, you'll know when there out of their seating

then you need to jack up the rear beam to the desired amount (that you want to lower it by) and then bang the bars back in, with the addition of some grease, cus you'll probably need to repeat the process a couple of times to get it perfect

if your slide hammer doesnt shift the bars get a pack of M10 bolts some washers and a 30mm socket and make a removal tool that you can use a spanner on ( you may go through a few bolts if the bars are siezed, so be prepared)

S2000
^^ can also do each side individually if you want. Just measure it accurately to get both sides the same. If it's a 1.2/1.4 then you should be OK as they rarely seize as they have a closed bar but the 16v can be a pain at times with the bars seizing.