ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Topaz Blue M3

Took the day off to mow my grandads lawn and do a few odd jobs for him. Had meant to wash my car whilst I was there as it's much easier than at my place, but was far too hot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435776922.255656.jpg

Finally fitted my new grilles, look much better IMO. Undecided whether to colour code. Still need to fit the new clean plates which are sitting in the boot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435776963.217735.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435777005.792093.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435777020.658042.jpg

Definite improvement!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435777088.695308.jpg

This arrived today, it's a lower steering coupler as the steerings got a bit of play. Should hopefully fix it, for £60 it's worth a try. Also received some LEDs for rear number plate and sidelight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435777340.580918.jpg

Should be fitted Saturday and also a general health check/subframe check over.

Last edited:

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I'm hoping so, the seller was a really nice guy and seemed genuine. Apparently whilst his mechanic was recently under the car changing the exhaust he had a little look at the subframe and there's no obvious sign of damage, however I'm still counting on it going at some point.

I bought my old 46 cracked and took it to BMW Exeter. They had to have two looks at it and then invite me to the workshop to show them the cracks!!

Cracks I found in the pouring rain in an Edinburgh car park whilst laying on my back! They carried it out FOC, which was nice.

Thanks for all the kind words first and foremost.

Today I finally got the plates on, but apparently I'm the kind of nob who waits until it's nearly dark outside before cleaning it!

I'll have to go out for a drive with my mate and do a little shoot with his Elise 111R, as he knows how to take a decent photo.

Still, I'm bloody happy with it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957177.001703.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957294.946057.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957321.280389.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957345.501509.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957373.973422.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435957401.217823.jpg

Anyone toying with the idea of buying one - do it! Prices have pretty much bottomed out now so it's an ideal time.

Got round to fitting LEDs for the sidelights and rear plate light, looks a bit smarter and for a few quid not much reason not to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436036438.582179.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436036477.215976.jpg

I also finally have cup holders! Matching oddments tray was bought off eBay yesterday about 3pm and arrived at work today! So will be fitting that tomorrow.

It also rained last night soon after cleaning, and then seagulls decided to crap on it today so the car was clean for about 4 hours in total.

Not too much has changed, needs the clutch doing so that and the flywheel will be replaced next Wednesday. Quotes were around £1,000 but luckily I know the head mechanic at VW heritage, who knows German cars very well, so will be £700 or so.

Also had a chance to look through this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437123983.139425.jpg

And found that it's had new standard Sach suspension in the past 3 years, along with trackrods and a few other bits, all of which I had planned on changing so that's saved me a fair bit!

I've also been waiting for a CSL style rear diffuser for about a month, bought off a group buy on Cutters. It should be dispatched next week so looking forward to fitting it. Should look similar to this -
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437124144.134027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437124154.235636.jpg

Because of the delay I asked about discount on the front splitter, and as the deal was decent, I've just purchased that as well. I'm not 100% sold on it, but I won't lose money on it if I change my mind. Should look something like this -
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437124271.909728.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437124350.805312.jpg

I also bought a purple tag steering rack to fit, as there's still a bit of play in the steering wheel and apparently the purple tag is a slightly quicker rack.

Ok I have cancelled the order for the splitter, sticking with just the diffuser. I can see the splitter does look slightly too gangster and that's the exact opposite of what I want. Lesson learned!

I have instead chose a remap! Guy called Mike does it remotely, and has a good rep on the forum, should see 10-20bhp gain.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good, had mine for two weeks now..

Let me know how you get on with the purple tag and how easy it was to fit if you're doing it yourself?

image.jpg

The wheels certainly modernise the car, love the mystic blue too.

Looks good, had mine for two weeks now..

Let me know how you get on with the purple tag and how easy it was to fit if you're doing it yourself?

View attachment 131822

The wheels certainly modernise the car, love the mystic blue too.

Looks lovely! Does yours have spacers?
How are you finding it?

Will be getting my mechanic to swap it over as the clutch and flywheel are being done soon but I believe it's a pretty easy job.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Looks lovely! Does yours have spacers?
How are you finding it?

Will be getting my mechanic to swap it over as the clutch and flywheel are being done soon but I believe it's a pretty easy job.

Mines lowered 30mm on eibach's, but I'm getting 265 PSS's (instead of 255 M3 contis) next week, haven't got spacers yet but I'll see if the spacers will work without rubbing.

I've changed my rear number plate bulbs for LED's too. I've got the sidelights programmed as DRL's so need to get bright white sidelights.. Where did you get yours from?

As for the car, absolutely love it. Managed 36mpg on a motorway run and 9mpg on a drive last night! The rasp is addictive but I keep looking at 100 cell cats and a remap

Already been to BMW, subframe is all ok - warranty work on a rear arch is being done shortly as well.

For the money the purple tag is likely to be the best modification for the M3?

Same as mine then! Have eibachs and 265 Michelin PSS - they're great tyres!

Costco were cheapest for PSS if you have one local (and a card for them).

I've heard that it's a great mod but haven't driven any M3 other than my own so wouldn't know! Fingers crossed though.

Mine should be mapped by Wednesday so will let you know how it goes afterwards!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Same as mine then! Have eibachs and 265 Michelin PSS - they're great tyres!

Costco were cheapest for PSS if you have one local (and a card for them).

I've heard that it's a great mod but haven't driven any M3 other than my own so wouldn't know! Fingers crossed though.

Mine should be mapped by Wednesday so will let you know how it goes afterwards!

You get the 30 profile rears? (As per CSL?)
You can't skimp on tyres on these cars, I can't imagine mine with budget tyres.

Yours manual?

Yeah 30 profiles mate. Yeah I cringe when I see performance cars with ditchfinders!

Yup mines a manual, one less thing to go wrong!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah 30 profiles mate. Yeah I cringe when I see performance cars with ditchfinders!

Yup mines a manual, one less thing to go wrong!

Ahah, I went for the same mentality - if you haven't got a short shift kit already, get one!

I need something ///M powered

Yes you do! Only thing I can see myself swapping this for is an E92 M3 and it will be a few years until they drop to the 10k mark

Damn I need CSLs

CSLs are the Turinis of BMW world!

Ahah, I went for the same mentality - if you haven't got a short shift kit already, get one!

Yeah I'm tempted, apparently there's a 330d shifter you can use which is much better?

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'm tempted, apparently there's a 330d shifter you can use which is much better?

Yeah I can't recall the part number from BMW, but I have it fitted and it makes gear changes really precise and 90% shorter (I think) I also have the club sport gear knob - modernises the interior no end.

The rear diffuser looks great!

Everything you're doing to the car is improving it, good job!

Can any detailing gurus help me with what products to buy etc?

I'm going to give it a decent clean/valet whatever you want to call it, but need to start afresh with any products as I haven't used the polish I currently have for about 4 years.

This is what I have planned (again any help is welcomed)

Snow foam
Rinse
Wash using 2BM
Rinse
Iron-x
Rinse
Tar-x
Rinse
Clay mitt
Rinse
Wash?
Rinse?
Dry
Polish
Wax

I need to buy everything except buckets and lambswool mitt!

I'll think I'll be getting valetpro snowfoam, but are iron-x and tar-x the best for decontamination? Anything cheaper but nearly as good? I'm a complete novice but need to start somewhere!

Also what polish and wax?!

With regards to wheels, I currently use wonder wheels but don't use any wax or sealant on them - again any recommendations? Also for tyre shine?

Last edited:
Finally had my clutch and flywheel changed, also had CPV o-ring swapped out for one which doesn't degrade, removed the clutch delay valve and had a purple tag steering rack fitted. The clutch was definitely overdue, it was very worn when removed so I am glad that's been done.

Thought I'd share costs involved so far in my ownership to give people a realistic view of what running costs are, as there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

Clutch / Flywheel - £400
Steering rack - £60
ATF dexron III fluid - £10
O-ring - £4
Labour - £300

Previous running costs are
2 x Michelin Pilot Super Sports (235/35/19) - £320
Steering UJ coupler - £50
General health check - £50
Tracking x2 - £60

Mods
CSL style diffuser - £180
Genuine de-chromed kidneys - £70
Remap - £350

Currently averaging about 27mpg which is a mixture of driving. If I'm on the motorway and chuck cruise control on then it will easily get into the 30s, doing a 800 mile trip soon so will see a pure motorway figure then.

Tax is about £25 per month (£280 annual) and insurance for me at 25 years old, 6 years NCB, 0 points is c£650.

I am very tempted to get some 10mm or 12mm spacers all round, as these cars (especially with CSL style rims) look great with the arches filled.

So today I bought my brothers Passat. There's a chance I'll be commuting sometime early next year, and as this was offered rather cheap I couldn't say no. Don't fancy the prospect of 80 miles a day in the M3!

I am storing the Passat at my Grandads, as I don't want to use it if I don't have to. If I don't end up commuting I'll sell it on.

It's a piece of s**t, but hopefully not a unreliable piece of s**t! Only done 100k but looking at the bodywork you'd think that it has spent time abroad in a war zone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443892306.295562.jpg