ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top speed of my car?

R35 GTR
After the other thread it has got me thinking. I want to know the top speed, but dont want to do it on the road.lol. Anyone know what the maximum possible speed is?

Depends I guess you have a stock gearbox is so what the rr say about the power ou might find its not that much quicker it power more low down the rev range like a stock 172/182.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The answer is that with a turbo it'll probably run out to whatever the rev limiter is set to, if you've got one. So find out what that is, adjust the standard car's mph/1000 rpm if you've fitted different tyres, and multiply.

If for example your rev limiter is set to at least 7250 rpm and you've got at least 240 bhp you you get to at least 153 mph (245 km/h).

Shed.
The answer is that with a turbo it'll probably run out to whatever the rev limiter is set to, if you've got one. So find out what that is, adjust the standard car's mph/1000 rpm if you've fitted different tyres, and multiply.

If for example your rev limiter is set to at least 7250 rpm and you've got at least 240 bhp you you get to at least 153 mph (245 km/h).

wha ?

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v

even with 5 people in towing a caravan with a boot full of lead and a full tank of petrol with 18" wheels on and a stupidly big body kit.

E90
Toms 182 would do 143 orso GPS, No way a 172 would get to 144, without the mother of all tail winds, we battered up the autobahn for 20 minutes at top whack, and he just pulled away from my 172, and was then monstered by a 330D bmw, LOL

VaVa
Oh I'm sure they won't. That's just what they're geared for.

Thought I'd save someone the embarassment of saying "I've had 155 GPS out ma 172 on the M1 innit"

This forum amuses me in that people buy a hot hatch renowned for it's handling and all they harp on about (not necessarily this thread) is straightline races on the dual carriageway, quarter miling and top speed runs.

Turbo 182 should hit the limiter in top no problems, I've had 151mph on GPS (pvt road) with some more to go... how much more I'll probably never know... until I get it on the autobahn. But that's showing a little under 160mph on the clocks too

^^^^ Worth pointing out that the 172 Ph-Ugly has looooooooonger gears than the other RS's...

f**king tell me about it, 80mph in 2nd!!! lol

4th gear is enough to get you send down, 135mph :S

deffo wants a Cup gearbox installing when the engine is next out...

with a long enough road 160 gps may be possible... I'd like to know, but not that much haha

E90
that on the way back down to base camp???

everest.jpg

Classic Mini Cooper
Yeah, i'd be interested what the top speed of my scooby wagon currently running about 240bhp would be, ive only had it for a few weeks, and she just wants to keep going and revving when i give it some! It makes my 172 seem rather slow!! But the quality look, not build, but look of the 172's interior is far more superior and pleasing to the eye than my Scooby. :)

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah, i'd be interested what the top speed of my scooby wagon currently running about 240bhp would be, ive only had it for a few weeks, and she just wants to keep going and revving when i give it some! It makes my 172 seem rather slow!! But the quality look, not build, but look of the 172's interior is far more superior and pleasing to the eye than my Scooby. :)

my old scooby was about 250 bhp mate and it pushed the speedo just off the wrong end of 160mph.....and she was still going :eek:

172cup
well mine is std and got 150 showing on the dials (142 showing on GPS) slightly down hill, and wasn't on the limiter

.... i assume you wont get mich more than that as a top speed... you'll just get there a LOT faster

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Used to have a Honda Civic I used for club racing and driving around the street. But under the bonnet it was very non-standard. The only rev limiter was the conrods. You knew you'd revved too far when one went out through the side of the block. Whenever anyone looked under the bonnet the conversation would go more or less like this. "Waddle she do?". "H". "Waddaya mean haitch?" "You know down the bottom of the speedo where it says MPH ... well it'd do 'H'". Of course back then speedos didn't go up to as high a numbers as they do now.