ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Mounts

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Afternoon All,

I hope you're all well.

As most of you know I'm in the process of upgrading my suspension and I'm just ordered a set of AST 4100's and PMS top mounts.

However over the past few days I've had doubts over the top mounts and should I have gone with the AST items?

Have a made a boo boo and am I missing out by not running AST top mounts?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Nah I used the PMS with my 4100's no issues whatsoever. I couldn't stomach the cost of the AST units just for a bit more camber, albeit they'll have better bearings.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Go for the pms top mounts and strut brace kit. ?

Nah I used the PMS with my 4100's no issues whatsoever. I couldn't stomach the cost of the AST units just for a bit more camber, albeit they'll have better bearings.

This was my issue also, they were a lot more and I couldn't work out the benefit (other than extra camber).

How much camber did you manage to run @JB21 ?

-2.5 each side and I didn't use the slots on the AST strut for more so reckon you should get -3 each side with camber bolts. That will be a nice balance for road and track.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Depending on the threaded shaft diameter/pitch, you could potentially run the BC solid mounts designed for the Twingo.

May not be possible though i'd have to see the AST's.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
These

IMG_5597.jpg

Gc8

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182FF
How much camber can you achieve if you just use the slotted holes in the AST’s?

With camber wishbones I think about 0.75 and the slotted holes with full amount the max was -2.6. I run ast top mounts and have it set max caster, im not sure it standard but its now +4.76. I wont run any less caster now Ive seen the benefits from it, very very solid. I have bump steer correction with 205/16 and 16mm spacers and the car has minimal tram lining, its pretty much irrelevant.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
With camber wishbones I think about 0.75 and the slotted holes with full amount the max was -2.6. I run ast top mounts and have it set max caster, im not sure it standard but its now +4.76. I wont run any less caster now Ive seen the benefits from it, very very solid. I have bump steer correction with 205/16 and 16mm spacers and the car has minimal tram lining, its pretty much irrelevant.

Standard is around 2.50, so you have a lot more!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Thanks all.

I'm thinking I should have gone for the AST's now for the additional adjustments.

Serves me right for not doing the research.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
do you want caster adjustment?

I feel like I need it now!

If I'm spending all this money surely I may as well go the whole hog to make sure the set up can be perfect.

Do you not feel it's a benefit?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
But then I need to get someone to weld them. Which again is going another level.

If you were to choose out of the AST’s or PMS “standard” top mounts which would you go for.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Track days/Sprint event but also drive to all event and for Sunday blasts (maybe a trip to the ring)!

dan's cast offs.
when you adjust them it alters camber and castor so you have to mess around setting the other back up as well.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
All so interesting!

I’m now thinking I’m going to keep the PMS mounts. Not sure how much I’ll benefit from the extra adjustment...

I’ll sleep on it!

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Thanks for the advice. Although what's your view on the below?

Didn't even know these existed. Has anyone had any experience with these?
I think we sold about 60 of them but not enough interest to keep running production and storing the parts. I think we will just focus on the BC racing ones as they do the job at a great price (I think £140 retail) and I dont have to faff with high volume production runs.

Even with the BC top mounts its not too much to machine a custom nut and sleeve if it needs to be done to work.