ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top Mounts

keo

Clio Trophy
I am just after a little help, i think my top mounts need replacing so:

Should i replace with standard renualt items? I am guessing i can get them from any Renault garage?

Has anyone got an idea of how much they are and how hard they are to fit?

Thanks

Sorry wrong section, will a mod move it please

Ph 1 172
I bought a new set when I fitted my coilovers, £48 If I remember rightly plus a few quid for the bearings that you need not sure why Renault sell them seperatly when you need both bits to replace the unit.

Easy too fit as well just front wheel off 2 bolts near break caliper and top mount bolt undone all pops out nice and simply

Lotus Elise
Hi Keo

They are relatively simple to replace when there are two you doing it. No need for a spring compressor and its only really everyman tools as well. Whilst you are doing it would be a good time to un-pin your dampers too ;)

I replaced mine a few weeks back with standard renault items which I believe came from GSF. I looked into solid top mounts but on a road car that only has occasional track use they are fine. Solid mounts are silly for road cars imo.

Good luck any question ring BTM after 28th :)

Sam

keo

Clio Trophy
Thanks for the replys

Hey Sam you ok mate? Yeah i agree would be a good idea to unpin my dampers while they are off, no idea how hard/soft i would need to set them though, wouldnt want to ruin it. I suppose i got the chance to do many a track day next year to do some fine tunning :)

What ever i decide to do, i dont think i will be doing it untill the weather gets a bit better lol

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
Hi Keo

They are relatively simple to replace when there are two you doing it. No need for a spring compressor and its only really everyman tools as well. Whilst you are doing it would be a good time to un-pin your dampers too ;)

I replaced mine a few weeks back with standard renault items which I believe came from GSF. I looked into solid top mounts but on a road car that only has occasional track use they are fine. Solid mounts are silly for road cars imo.

Good luck any question ring BTM after 28th :)

Sam

What is this un-pinning of dampers please? Am intreged...

I am just after a little help, i think my top mounts need replacing so:

Should i replace with standard renualt items? I am guessing i can get them from any Renault garage?

Has anyone got an idea of how much they are and how hard they are to fit?

Thanks

Sorry wrong section, will a mod move it please

Report it next time, we dont read every thread.

Standard are fine for occasional track use

Lotus Elise
What is this un-pinning of dampers please? Am intreged...

Trophy's have adjustable sash damper which are pinned in place at the factory. Un-pinning is the process of removing the holding pin so they are fully adjustable again :D

Keo

Im good mate. Sounds like a good idea not working on the car until the weather perks up a bit. I tell Fred that everyday but he still make me work in the cold :(

keo

Clio Trophy
Lol Sam

So i am guessing just undo the bolts at the top and bottom of the strut, strut comes out? Remove old top mounts and bearings, fit new and build back up?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Before I fitted my AST top mounts I used a set from an old 1.2 as they are all the same.

Westy. MX5
The standard bearings are £18 from Euro Car Parts and sit between the shock absorber and the rubber mount. they will be adequate for your car. If the rubber mounts are not damaged/split etc. just change the bearings.

Lotus Elise
So i am guessing just undo the bolts at the top and bottom of the strut, strut comes out? Remove old top mounts and bearings, fit new and build back up?

You got it in one. Might need someone to spin the nut on whilst you hold the spring down when fitting the new bearing.

keo

Clio Trophy
Ok thanks for your help everyone, i might try to brave doing it before i go back to work. If not it can wait till it gets a bit warmer.

Will i need to have my tracking/ alignment set again with the dampers being removed?

Westy. MX5
The OE top mounts are not bolted in to the car, the weight of the front of the car just holds the struts in place. After you have renewed yer bearings and mounts allow a couple of hundred miles for the rubber mounts to wedge themselves back into to the turrets and settle. then have your alignment done.

keo

Clio Trophy
Sam i dont know who held your springs compressed but i cant get anyone to hold them down enough, need wait for the gf get back so she can go fetch me some spring compressors!!!! lol

DCi 100
gi8dt.jpg

The red nut is the only thing holding the spring from flying down your street while it's off the car soo.. don't be undoing that one in a rush! Blue is obviously where the body work sits. Hope the pic helps you.

Lionel Richie
mickey mouse ones don't fit for some reason (that i've found anyway)

part numbers are different, but they're all the same on phs2 clios

keo

Clio Trophy
The rubbers that i have got from renault are smaller than the ones that i have taken off my car. The rubber doesnt look bad so i have put that back on but replaced the bearing. Going hopefuly build it all up tommorow in the light

keo

Clio Trophy
Thanks Fred. Built it back up today and gone for a spin its still creaking a little bit but no where near as bad as it was before. Mainly when slow turning parking ect and braking. Any ideas anyone

keo

Clio Trophy
Right my car is doing my head in now, its still creaking. I took the near side strut off again yesterday. There is alot of play in the rubber bush on top of the strut, i would think it shouldnt move t all, as play there would cause a creak/ noise. Stripped the strut down and cant see anything that would cause it. The rubber bush and bearing are both less than two months old.

FF 182
Dude i had this i got 2 new top mounts, the bearings the rubber mounts etc the lot, the whole lot came to about £70 for parts and replaced both ball joints and my creaking has gone ever since

keo

Clio Trophy
Soot1e yeah it mainly creaks when slow speed turning, parking up ect, but it also does it when i am braking. Elfy so maybe i need to change a ball joint?

Thanks for the help people

Flame Red Delight
just to clairfy this is a common problem on 182s etc, this is when the suspension top mount hits the bodywork i am led to believe, if you do a search you will see that a £10 set of washers you put on the top of the strut removes the creaking noise, hope this helps out

Artic Blue 182 FF
Mine had been creaking for weeks and then started to knock. It had the washers fitted by the previous owner.. I replaced the ball joints and problem solved.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Next job on the list, can anyone recommend the cheapest place to source? Lots of cheap ones on eBay / GSF / ECP but want to get the right ones and that will last.

Thanks