ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top end oil leak?

Hi everyone,
I took the top cover off my engine today (Clio 182 42,000 mls)
and it was quite oily underneath and there were puddles of oil sitting on the lower part of the inlet manifold (see pic)
the cam cover also had oil on it too. Is there a known 'weak spot' that could cause this?
I am doing the belts next weekend and it would obviously be a good time to sort it out.
many thanks.

IMG_0474.jpg

Resealing rocker cover is a big job, cambelt off job to do it.

Looking at that pool of oil in the pic, sure it's not just oil that's been split down there?

Thanks for replies.
Beasley - do they do a gasket ? I thought the cam cover was sealed with a loctite gasket sealant only?

Jonff - I did wonder that john, if someone had topped the oil up and spilt it as there is quite a bit there. I have only just bought the car so havent needed to top the oil my self yet.
I was wondering if there was a common place to look for problems. As I am doing the belts next weekend it would be the time to sort it. I understand the cam bearings form part of the cam cover. Can anyone give me any pointers if I do have to take this off to re-seal it.
many thanks.

Thanks Laine, I will be doing the belts next weekend anyway, just wondered if there was anything else I should be aware of that could give problems - or other things worth checking.
cheers

Blue 182 sport
Hi everyone,
I took the top cover off my engine today (Clio 182 42,000 mls)
and it was quite oily underneath and there were puddles of oil sitting on the lower part of the inlet manifold (see pic)
the cam cover also had oil on it too. Is there a known 'weak spot' that could cause this?
I am doing the belts next weekend and it would obviously be a good time to sort it out.
many thanks.

IMG_0474.jpg

Hi Quattro, I assume that you have tackled the came belt change by now, are you any the wiser where the oil came from
as it appears that I'm in the same boat as yourself, oil sitting in the same place any Info would be wicked cheers

I had a similar problem, but luckily for me it was seeping from one of the rocker cover bolts.

Undid that one bolt lifted it up and but some silicone under the head of the bolt. Hey presto no more leaks.