ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

too young for a 172?

Cappy said:
Does anyone seroiusly think i could afford insurance on a 172 (prepared to go on my parents insurance) at 18? Or should i wait till May when im 19? Any help appreciated. Paul

right back to the point

1. do not go on your parents insurance, it will be glaringly obvious the car is yours and, god forbid, worst comes to the worst, you stack it, any sensible inspector would be able to tell who the real main driver is, therefore invalidating the policy and you end up paying for all the repairs out of your own pocket, not worth the hassle IMHO - get your own insurance

2. if you can't afford the car and the insurance, then you cannot afford the car, simple as that

3. between 18 & 19 you will see minimal difference in costs, however between 0 and 1yrs NCB you will see a marked improvement in the cost of the policy

M140i/Orange 182
iam 20 now iam geting a 182 in december second hand of course! trading in my 1.2 and hey presto! just under £1500 with elephant.

was going to get one 3 weeks ago but matey at reno garage said wait three more months and you will owe less on my 1.2.....not sure weather to re-finance ( for aobut £253 a month) or loanidge!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cappy said:
cool thanks. already have my pass plus, started the day i passed my test, and i was taught by my dad (IAM, skid pan instructor) so he's making me do my IAM asap aswell. Dont like to think of myself as a typical 18 yr old boy racer. To be honest they do my bloody head!

Do that and you're much more likely to get through the first year unscathed :D

Hope you get your cover sorted.

Phase One 172
hmmmm i think ive started a bit of a debate here. Thanks a lot for all your comments. I can appreciate why people opt for a 106 (handling etc) but personaly safety is important and tbh there isnt much meat to a 106, and I dont want to be in a load of s*** if my insurance dont cover me because im not actually the 'main driver'. Thought i was certain about getting a 172, now im not sure; my heart says yes but my head says no! i will let you all know but im starting to think i mite keep my mini. it all depends on the insurance though. I suppose thats the down side to being 18. b****cks! I'll just have to be patient like the rest of the 18 year olds, unless i can sort something out...

Racing Blue 182
Hi mate, iv got a 182 and had it when i was 18. try elephant and admiral, they are the cheapest by far, and will accept mods.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's a tricky one, bri and day are rite...I wish i had my own insurance from when i passed ma test...i would have had 3yrs ncb...I've got nout and ins under the garage poilcy...also a bit dodgy...But whilst i'm insured fine, i'm nevous when i drive...not a nice feeling. It's diff now tho...coz my last car was mod'd it was blatiently obvious it wasn't a garage car..lol...

Be careful guys...

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
Sorry for hijacking but how you go about doing IAM test. want to do it but bit confused. PM me to keep this thread on point if you can.

Cappy said:
.... i was taught by my dad (IAM, skid pan instructor) so he's making me do my IAM asap aswell.

Phase One 172
For I.A.M try http://www.iamfleet.com/, you may have to email them for some specifics though. When my dad did it there was a set amount of about £80/£85 for lessons and test and I think you take it in your own car. Bear in mind it is a charitable organisation so i think they expect a annual donation. You may also want to try R.O.S.P.A (a similar organisation). If that doesnt float your boat just buy the roadcraft book, thats what i did. Hope that helps