ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

to write off or not.....

Monaco 172
got some damage to the clio recently (not going into details) but its a dent in roof and a couple on the bonnet.

spokent to insurence and the excess is £300, however the body shop a has said it could be a total loss if the roof cant be repaired and requires a new skin.

so that would be £300 excess + remainder of my premium - £400 ish.

I could then buy the car back at scrap value.

So, do I proceed with the claim or wait til im back from afghan in april next year and buy a standard car with a good body and swap the mods over and sell the monaco.

Your thoughts peeps.

Monaco 172
here are roof pics

20120918_134129.jpg

20120918_134134.jpg

rob

172 Cup
Not the best pics - why are you going through insurance? I'm assuming you didn't do the damage yourself? I'd be tempted to drop the roof liner and try and push as much of that out as I could first.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why the hell would you buy a whole shell and change over the bits? You surely realise that will cost a lot to do?

The full story might also help.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Can't really judge the damage, but I'd try and push them out.

It's not worth claiming imo, lose excess, bonus and have a claim on record for a car that's worth very little anyway. Just live with the car like it is, picking up a bonnet when a monaco one comes up for sale. Or break it.

Monaco 172
And you aren't guaranteed to be able to buy back the car either.

you see thats the problem,

well without going into detail, something / someone has been on the roof. I know what / who is was but cant prove it.

she's on 101,000 miles now and i love the car but if its not gonna be financialy viable then I may aswell either live with the damage or buy another one and break mine.

I havent tried to push them out yet but I have today off so will go give it a go.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Push them out, paint looks intact from the pictures. As what I can see of it.

Keep the car, just get a new bonnet

Monaco 172
Just had roof lining out, can't push them out as they behind the cross member and other metal.

Dad face.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Was you smashing the missus on the roof per chance? lol

Aye, Dent dude should suss that for lass than half your excess. Watch your insurance go up next year just for mentioning though.

First rule of Accident club, don't mention the accident to your insurance unless your gonna claim!

Lionel Richie
we have a customer with a Trophy who had his roof walked across, went to a dent place nearby, you CANNOT tell it was ever damaged!!

no offense, but a 100K mile 172 isn't going to be worth fixing, i'd live with the damage, its not at all bad!

Monaco 172
cheers for your advice guys. going to see a dent man tomorrow and get a quote. finger crossed its fixable.