ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To wet sand or not to wet sand?

Monaco Blue Mk2
That is the question!

I have basecoat on. Now to my previous knowledge I should not be wet sanding until clear coat is on? I have read conflicting views on here. Some people say wet sand after bascoat then laquer, some say dont even think about wet sanding basecoat, get the laquer on and then wet sand. I have 2 tins of laquer. One has no instructions of use at all and one specifies wet sanding the basecoat before laquer.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Should I wet sand now or get the laquer on first?

Thanks.

Trophy
In my experience, don't touch it till the lacquer is on!
Unless it's a 2pack Basecoat which can be nibbed slightly when set.

Mat.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What are ya painting ? You might not need to wet sand even when your lacquers on , just don't put too much on at once , thin coats are best cos lacquer is thicker than basecoat and tends to run more easily .

Leave it a few days , more the better for the lacquer to harden and polish with AG super resin polish .

106 GTi
I would only touch the base coat if you have defects in it that need removing before you lacquer.

Chocolate Bar™
i often use a very fine sandpaper to smooth down the basecoat, but i wouldnt on metallic colours tbh. just give a light sand between laquers and to get a really even coat use leveller (5 quid from halfrauds)

bang the clear coat straight on after base. If it's something like plastic side skirts or bumpstrips that your spraying then you won't really need to flat them down after you have clear coated them. Things like bonnets, wings, doors etc will need polishing up with a compound after clear coat.

I'd only wet sand the basecoat if you have runs, grit in the paint or there has been some kind of chemical reaction with the paint.