ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

to much oil ???

clio 182 + cup packs
can too much oil, over filled by half a litre cause any problems?

i havnt checked my oil since my 36k service at a reputable place and that the only way i can think it has been over filled. :S

i cant take it bk to them either as there on the other end of the country

do i need to take some oil out?

It's A Reno
It can be sucked out through the dip stick hole, but without the right tooling would be a dire job.

I'd say drop it and change it and it's a good opportunity to change that Reno glug for some better oil.:D

I think a genuine Reno filter, which includes a sump plug washer, only costs around 5 or 6 quid.

RS mk2 172
Yes too much oil can have disasterous effects on an engine but if it was only half a litre it will be fine.

clio 182 + cup packs
what worries me is that a highly recomened garage on here did the service 1500 miles ago and that was last time the oil level was touched till i checked it the other day

if the oil has only been in 1500 miles still looks clean too is it worth changing tho?

i'll try the sump plug method i think will pic a washer up tomorrow

clio 182 + cup packs
cheers fred

will i have done any damage driving it for 1500 miles ive not driven it since i found it like that tho the other day just hope it aint damaged out:S

1/2 a ltr wont do that.

if you worried, just undo the sump plug a little and let the excess drain out. If it was serviced a short while ago, why waste the money?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
half i litre will be fine mate, if it was like 1 or 2 litres over filled then u would have problems

Lionel Richie
it will probably just blow the excess out through the breather and burn it off, nothing major to worry about, who did the service? pm me if you don't want to name and shame publically

ITB'd MK1
worst you'll really do with too much oil is breach seals due to excess pressure, but a half litre shouldn't do that. For half a litre I think I'd pull the filter off, catch the spillage and fit a new filter without pre-filling it, you should lose about a half litre with spillage and contents of the filter and will only cost you £5-6

I drove round with a litre to much which was put in by a garage again for about 100 miles. Spat a lot out the breather I think

clio 182 + cup packs
FRED clear your pm's bud

Gonna just let some out the sump plug and top up me thinks tomorrow got a new washer for it any way