ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tire name brands

S2 106 GTI
do you just pay for the name??? reason being i work nxt door to a garage, and sometimes just pop round for a chat, a 206 2.0 cc came in and had 4 new tires put on. old tires were goodyear eagle f1's new ones were called 'fullrun' they were both exactly the same tread pattern! i asked the owner what are these 'fullruns' he was saying they are made by goodyear in the same factory but just don't have the goodyear name on them and there about half the price! He said alot of tire companys do this, yoko's, michelin and pirelli...

is this all true????

Black-Gold 182
I used to work for Goodyear Dunlop and have to say I've never heard of Fullrun tyres. Doing a search for it Fullrun is a chinese brand, that I've honestly never heard of (and I worked in the Retail side of Goodyear Dunlop!)
Fulda is the low-budget tyres that Goodyear Dunlop own, but they wouldn't use the same mouldings as the Eagle F1 - the mouldings are old tyre patterns that are no longer used by the main company.

However, the tread pattern might be the same, but the compound ISN'T! It'll be a less grippy, more durable, poor quality rubber (to keep costs down).

So yes, paying extra for the name DOES help!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i know 'cheapo' tyres are often made by top brand companies or are sister companies of top brands etc.
surely the rubber must be a cheaper compound or sumthin??

You're paying for the quality.

People who buy cheap tyres obviously don't value their life all that much. Only reason I'd buy budget tyres was for a car I'd seldom use and never travel over 30mph in.

S2 106 GTI
goodyear are changing the tread pattern at the mo, been trying to get hold of some! lol

just curious on if they are the same tread pattern and made in the same place then is it just the name you pay for? ....... but as you said to keep the cost down they will be made out of differnt compound - wear faster, not as grippy to the road.

172 ph1
Fullrun HP 199 DitchSeekers...

Similar appearance to the F1's.
They are not much cheaper than the real thing though, only £5 a tyre or so.

I wonder what the Uniform Tyre Quality Grading System numbers are for these?

Black-Gold 182

People who buy cheap tyres obviously don't value their life all that much. Only reason I'd buy budget tyres was for a car I'd seldom use and never travel over 30mph in.

You're absolutly right. When you think about the fact that the contact patch on ANY tyres is only about the size of a foot-print, it's well worth forking out extra for the rubber on the corners!

I've heard some right horrer stories over the years!

MB_182

S2 106 GTI

You're absolutly right. When you think about the fact that the contact patch on ANY tyres is only about the size of a foot-print, it's well worth forking out extra for the rubber on the corners!

I've heard some right horrer stories over the years!

MB_182

I totally agree, i've always run decent tires. The only time i had 1 s**t tire was beacuse it failed an mot cos one of the tires had a slight wear on the outside, so they had a tire there an then to put on....it went on to become a spare!! :)

Mégane RS
would never buy cheap tyres personaly, after all there the only things keeping you on the road

clio 200 F4Rt
bought a set of scooby wheels (wheni had the car) off ebay and they came with a set of tyres that i didnt recognise the brand.

The pattern was identical to that of Yokohama AVS sports.

It wasnt till i read the side walls, that i noticed the word RETREAD!!! lol

Budget tyres have thier place in the world, mainly on 1.3 fiesta's and the like.

I once bought a set of Marshall Power Racer 2's purely for track work.

They were shite, had little grip, but where made of clay, so lasted for ages!

If cheap tyres were dangerous, why would they sell them?

Because people buy yhem like hot cakes because "technitions" fill them with s**t like above.

Abudged tyre will meet the minimum safety guidelines for a tyre.

Mid-range or branded will exceed them

Hybrid runs on f1's 1.2 on firestones. would never put budget rubber on

172 Race Car
my mrs' 1.3 fiesta has real cheep tyres on it (came with the car) and they are shocking in the wet. You only have to breathe on the brakes and they skid. she hates them and we will be getting some better ones soon. On my car tho i only have good brand tyres

Seat Leon Cupra 290
really annoys me people who think that becuse your paying a premium for tyres you are an idiot for doing so, and that your cheap chinese crap is a much better alternative, grrr

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Well, you get what you pay for.

I go for mid range tyres. No point getting the best because i can't get to silly speeds in a 1.2, nor do i 'rag' my car about.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Japanese cars were crap when they first built them. But over time they caught up. Its the way industries work as they mature. The companies and countries that were first start off with a big advantage, but over time there are fewer and fewer remaining ways of making the product better, and the everyone pretty much ends up making the same product at the same price.

Chinese tyres were initially complete crap. But they're catching up. And they have a huge labour cost advantage. In a few years they have products that are nearly as good, at a lower cost. And in a few more years the European and American and even Japanese big-name tyre manufacturers will be out of business.

Japanese cars were crap when they first built them. But over time they caught up. Its the way industries work as they mature. The companies and countries that were first start off with a big advantage, but over time there are fewer and fewer remaining ways of making the product better, and the everyone pretty much ends up making the same product at the same price.

Chinese tyres were initially complete crap. But they're catching up. And they have a huge labour cost advantage. In a few years they have products that are nearly as good, at a lower cost. And in a few more years the European and American and even Japanese big-name tyre manufacturers will be out of business.

What a load of utter bolocks. What part of the industry do you work in?!

Budget tyres are made to fill the demand for cheap tyres there are now more than ever new ways to improve tyres, (runflats and support rings for one).

Far eastern tyres are still crap by no means are they catching up, they dont want to make good tyres, and with the economic growth of China there has been a massive lack of cheap tyres from the far east over the summer due to the demand for tyres in their home country as they can sell them for the same price over there as they can over here.

Also the chinese government are looking to tax EVERYTHING that leaves their shores so anything from China will go up in price therefore the companires arent going to be looking to improve the technology in the tyre they are going to look at reducing costs.

Clio 172, 2001
I only run Michelins, very good tyres imo. It is never worth buying poor quality rubber. I work for Kawasaki btw, not Michelin, in case you were wondering....

saxo :P
its like everythin in life, u usually get what u pay for, the trick is finding a lower price for a decent product.

tyres are trial and error, u have to buy them to compare them or rely on other peoples opinions but with tyres this isnt a good idea because there are alot of factors, best just buying a decent brand then buying another brand when uve used the old ones up. then u can compare urself..