ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips on Cleaning

Clio 182 Trophy
Hi all,

Recently purchased a BG 182 and the paint work is rather dull. I am new to this whole car detailing thing and would appreciate if some people could recommend a list of products for me to purchase to give my cars paintwork a bit of life.

I have read through the stickys but quite frankly, I don't understand what is needed as this is my first car so any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
To break yourself in gently, if I was you I would buy...

1) shampoo. There's loads to choose from!

2) Some non acidic wheel cleaner.

2) tar and adhesive remover.

3) Autoglym super resin polish

4) some glass cleaner

5) Some tyre shine.

Wash the car with the shampoo and a good quality wash mit. Rinse it all off. Use the tar remover liberally over the bottom of the doors and get rid of all the big fat tar spots.
Wash bottom of car again. Rinse all over.
Polish with the Autoglym super resin polish, then use the tyre gel to shine the tyres.

That should take you about an hour or so and if you enjoy it, great go and buy some more in depth kit. If you find it a chore and can't be bothered, you've only wasted about. £25.

Alternatively you could of course pay someone to do it for you. Anything from £50-350+

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm far from being an expert mate. However I do like to give it go. What kind of condition is your paintwork in? Post some pics up and it will make it a lot easier for people to advise what products you'll need.

The basics though are 2 buckets, 1 for your shampoo and the other to rinse your wash mitt off after washing each panel (known as 2 bucket method). A decent wash mitt. Drying towels (shammy leathers are a thing of the past)

Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks for the advice! :)

I will get some stuff ordered tonight and probably have a go at it next weekend by the time I get some spare hours.

I will try and get some photos up of her soon, I'm going out in her in a bit so will get some then :)

Thanks again

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Blackhole by poorboys is great on Black cars. A wax, something like a dodo juice sample pot, £6 ish and would do the car a few times

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Blackhole by poorboys is great on Black cars.

Not just black. I've used it on an extremely dark blue volvo, very dark green Audi, black. All dark coloured cars will be fine with this one from personal experience

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Daniels advice is spot on, I spent years happy with the results from similar and then bought a wax, and once I felt it's something I'd happily spend a day or 2 doing a car I increased my arsenal.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not just black. I've used it on an extremely dark blue volvo, very dark green Audi, black. All dark coloured cars will be fine with this one from personal experience

Well yeah but for the sake of a debate, op has a black car.

FF Artic 182
My tip is don't start....i caught the bug and its cost me a fortune! :D

This is the best advice, I started with the kit knuckles suggested and I even won the AF weekly waxathon and now i have shelves full of various products, two big bags of MFs applicators and towels, easy to lose a weekend cleaning.

It's a sickness!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've tried lots of stuff. But my fav, wait for it... Colour magic white!.

Gtecniq P1 via a DA gives great results on white mate. I did a 1995 white audi on friday. Looked bloody lovely when i'd finished.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Will take some pics of mine tomo, weather permitting. Looks spot on. Wouldn't trust myself with a polisher lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I am but I know what I'm like. Me-polisher=upset. I just know that's how it would pan out. I get a free day Sunday as the boss rarely comes in so I tinker with the car. He doesn't mind and tbh it's a conversation starter sometimes with customers.