ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing of jobs how long they should take etc.

Below are the start of a list of how long jobs are listed as taking in a well equipt competant garage. These are from a few sources and some are a bit generous but since these are what many garages will use these arrn't a bad guide. Some of the jobw taken much longer if you don't have an equipt garage with the appropriate lifts.

Modification most people do
Changing springs or shocks or both all round 2 hours 6 minutes

Changing exhaust from 48 minutes to 2 hours 30 thats the full system and top time is just for the diesel due to where the cat is on them.

Service bits

12/24/48/60/84/96k service are all 1 hour 24 minutes

Cambelt 5 hours 12 minutes

36/72/108k services are 4 hour (aux belt needs doing at this time at these services)

Change the coolent 42 minutes

Fuel pump/filter change 36 minutes

Spark plugs 42 minutes

Oil filter 18 minutes

Bodywork

Rear bumper remove and replace - 48 minutes

Front bumper remove and replace 1 hour 54 minutes

Mechanical

Brakes

Front or rear brake pads 48 minutes
Front or rear brake pads and disks 1 hour

Rear drum shoes 1 hour 30 minutes
Rear drums is 48 minutes

Bleeding brakes 48 minutes

Changing both brakes hoses 1 hour 48 minutes
Rear lines take just as long

Service and hanging both calipers 2 hours 24 minutes

Tracking

Geometry/tracking setup 1 hour 12 minutes (full 4 wheel check)

Front Geometry/tracking setup 18 minutes

Front end work

Driveshaft left hand side 1 hour 18 minutes
Driveshaft right hand side 1 hour 6 minutes
Both driveshafts 2 hours 12 minutes

Front wheel bearings one side 1 hour 36 minutes
Both front wheel bearings 3 hours 12 minutes

Rear end work

Rear wheel bearing 48 minutes one side
Rear wheel bearings 1 hour 24 minutes both sides

Rear stub axle 1 hour 12 minutes

Engine/gearbox stuff

Change the gearbox 7 hours

Clutch change 7 hours 30 minutes

Change clutch cable 30 minutes

Catalictic converter 42 minutes

Water pump 4 hours 6 minutes

Radiator change 2 hours 30 minutes (18 minutes less if there no air con radiator)

TDC/crank sensor 18 minutes

Coil pack 18 minutes

Engine/gearbox mounts are 2 hours each

he does say this in his post but a basic estimation is great mate thanks very much again alot of my possible future work is on here so it is good to know many thanks

come up with your analysis then ????

A lot less than that I'd fit engine mounts for a living at that sort of timing.

However that what many garages will tell but as said I'm not writing two sets of time otherwsie people will start complaining saying the guide says 10 minutes to fit bottom mount and it took me 2 hours etc etc etc.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
In the time it takes them to Bleed brakes (48 minutes) and Fit front brake pads (48 Mins)

I did -

Changed both rear wheel bearings, fitted front and rear brake pads, bled the whole system new and changed the dogbone mount.

Bloody robbing Renault garages, if anyone uses them for any type of work, other than warrenty, they are fools.

In the time it takes them to Bleed brakes (48 minutes) and Fit front brake pads (48 Mins)

I did -

Changed both rear wheel bearings, fitted front and rear brake pads, bled the whole system new and changed the dogbone mount.

Bloody robbing Renault garages, if anyone uses them for any type of work, other than warrenty, they are fools.

Thats not just the times Renault use.
I'd say chnage disk and pads is a 1 hour job though bleeding brakes another half hour.

VX220 Turbo
I changed calipers brake lines and discs on the front of the clio, drained the fluid completly and refilled with dot 5.1, bled the whole system and then got bored and painted my calipers in just over the 1 hour 48 they quote!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
no wonder our arses are so sore after getting work done if they go buy this s**t guide! apparently it takes 10.5 hours to do a clutch on a williams, this is what 1 of these guides says, anyway my garage that did mine took 4 hours including waiting for delivery of my clutch for 30 minutes!

these guides are written by people who obviously have a financial gain in the matter!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Thank god! Was thinking maybe time to get rid, esp as exhaust is getting loud, brakes need replacing and who knows what else and by that guide above, it'd be cheaper spending more money on a newer faster car.

no wonder our arses are so sore after getting work done if they go buy this s**t guide! apparently it takes 10.5 hours to do a clutch on a williams, this is what 1 of these guides says, anyway my garage that did mine took 4 hours including waiting for delivery of my clutch for 30 minutes!

these guides are written by people who obviously have a financial gain in the matter!

Or people who work in the industry?

There bound to be over estimates depends as I said on skill level and tools but 4 hours to do a Williams clutch err thats err very very good. Plus was they two people working on it?

Book times 7 hours for a Williams/1.8 16V from memory.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
A willy clutch change in 3 and a half hours. Was the engine removed already then when he did it or was there ten people working on it, because thats impossible. I have seen it done in 5 hours with three pros on the job

A willy clutch change in 3 and a half hours. Was the engine removed already then when he did it or was there ten people working on it, because thats impossible. I have seen it done in 5 hours with three pros on the job

Ha ha good point that about engine being in the car.

or maybe they just didn't do it and did the cable instead.

CB600FS
Yeah are you sure they changed the actual clutch, or just fixed your pedal ratchet and charged you for 4 hours labour lol.

Or was it a 'Willy Hybrid' with a 1.2 8v engine?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
they gotta allow for f**k ups, if you strip a bolt an hour job can become a two hour one. it all evens out in the end
when i worked for scania they give (and charge) 6 hrs to da a clutch, i could do 'em in 3!

CB600FS
I know someone who works for Renault trucks Benji he was saying when doing a clutch one day, the tech doing it couldn't be arsed to get the lift or whatever it is they use, and the box took the end of his fingers off, nice.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
LOL
you can't cut corners with lifting when working on commercials! i had a road spring land on my knee once 'cos i was trying to do it on my own. was off work for over a month

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
yeah sweet :)
trouble is where i am now i'm on salary don't get no extra for call outs or standby anymore, i keep thinking of leaving and going back to scania, but its cushy where i am

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
yeah sweet :)
trouble is where i am now i'm on salary don't get no extra for call outs or standby anymore, i keep thinking of leaving and going back to scania, but its cushy where i am

lol I took a driver to pick up one of our 580 Toplines the other day. Scania were supposed to leave it out side. When we got there it was locked in their compound.

Scania charged us a £300 call out fee to get it out.