ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt service - 172 - when??

Si

RS Clio 172
Hi, I'm currently looking at buying a 172, i've found one advertised with 38k miles on the clock and the advert says it was just serviced. Am a right in saying a service around this mileage should include a timing belt change??

I asked the seller if this had been done and they've said no. what should i do? lol. I've heard in the past that this is an optional change at this mileage? is that right? worth doing?

Cheers :D

Si.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
On a 1#2 the recommend times are 72K miles or 5 years old. Many would recommend 60K or 4 years on here though.

It’s a big job and a costly job

From an independent garage expect to pay around £450 -650 (172 cups a bit cheaper)

From a Renault dealership expect to pay £600- 1000.

Many chose to have the water pump replaced also as if the pump fails the whole belts job needs to be done again.

Rubber is funny stuff. Even if the belts look ok that doesn’t represent the state of the rubber. If a brand new elastic band is left in your garden over the summer buy the end of the season it will still look ok but if stretched it will break as the rubber would have become brittle due to the extremes of heat and moisture. The same principle can be applied to the rubber timing and Aux belts on the engine. All the rain and heat will have taken its toll on the rubber.

If it's not had one it will be due on a 172. Even though it's not done the milage it will be overdue one on age. The belt usually changed at the 36k service is the aux belt not the timing belt. Either get them to drop the price to cover the cost of the belt change (if it's not been done get the aux belt done too not just the timing belt) or get them to have it changed before you buy.

Si

RS Clio 172
aaahh, aux belt. seems i was gettin my wires crossed. how much roughly is it for an aux belt change??

cheers for the advice though guys... i'm guessing as it's an 03 plate the timing belt would prob be a good bet to get changed too. i'm used to doing 10k+ miles a year so never think about the time factor on belts, normally just look at mileage.

cheers for the advice.

aaahh, aux belt. seems i was gettin my wires crossed. how much roughly is it for an aux belt change??

cheers for the advice though guys... i'm guessing as it's an 03 plate the timing belt would prob be a good bet to get changed too. i'm used to doing 10k+ miles a year so never think about the time factor on belts, normally just look at mileage.

cheers for the advice.

Aux belt is 36k or about 3 years (whichever is soonest) IIRC cost to change would probably vary from £250 to £350 ish.

Timing belt you will have to change as it's 72k or 5 years (whichever is soonest) timing belt prices will probably vary from about £400 to £800.

Obviously if you have both done at the same time just add around £100 to the cambelt cost. You'll only need to cover the parts as the labour will be covered in the cambelt cost.

Si

RS Clio 172
so i'm looking at around £500 (at best!!) for both? I'll ask the seller what's been done in previous services. if i can haggle him down enough i'll buy it and get both belts changed asap. does eat into the coilover fund tho. lol.

cheers again :D

I'd say about £600ish at best for the pair done. Yeah either haggle and get it down a bit cheaper or buy my FRSH 42k mile 182 that's had the aux belt done and doesnt need the cambelt doing for another year ;)

Si

RS Clio 172
link to ad Loony????? i do want a black one... lol. is it black? i'm sort into my OCD cleaning and have been after a black car for some time.

53 plate 172

cheers for the advice.

Aux belt is 36k or about 3 years (whichever is soonest) IIRC cost to change would probably vary from £250 to £350 ish.

Timing belt you will have to change as it's 72k or 5 years (whichever is soonest) timing belt prices will probably vary from about £400 to £800.

Obviously if you have both done at the same time just add around £100 to the cambelt cost. You'll only need to cover the parts as the labour will be covered in the cambelt cost.

I'm coming up to 5 years in a few weeks and the dreaded cambelt change. Only have 16K on the clock and had the car serviced by a main dealer at 2 years and 4 years. They never mentioned the aux belt needed changing !

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
^^ good job it didn't snap then as it usually takes the cambelt with it!

53 plate 172

I'll check my receipts later but I'm sure they didn't. May gave them a call anyway to get a cambelt quote (just for a laugh) and ask if they have a record of it being changed.

53 plate 172

I'll check my receipts later but I'm sure they didn't. May gave them a call anyway to get a cambelt quote (just for a laugh) and ask if they have a record of it being changed.

Am awaiting a call back for a quote. I asked them to check my records to see if the aux belt had been fitted, they said they would but the two belts are usually fitted at the same time...eh!??!

53 plate 172

Am awaiting a call back for a quote. I asked them to check my records to see if the aux belt had been fitted, they said they would but the two belts are usually fitted at the same time...eh!??!

Surprise surprise no call back they are obviously making too much money ! Checked my bills and no sign of an aux belt being fitted.

How much would a new water pump cost as a matter of interest? Oh and front and rear wipers too? cheers