ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt procedure question

Clio 172
In the workshop manual it says you have to rotate the timing assembly 6 times to equalise the tension etc. i understand that the pulleys are all friction fit. The crank pulley is so tight onto the crankshaft it does not want to rotate easily.

Is there a procedure or method for freeing off the crank pulley a bit so that everything can be easily rotated?

any input would be much appreciated

cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You will need to use a puller on it (there are two small threaded holes to allow this) then clean up the crank/sprocket contact faces.

As long as you have two of the three sprockets moving you will be okay but you will have to double check the timing after angle tightening.

Clio 172
Thanks very much for the fast replies!

So with just the 2 camshaft sprockets loose and the tensioner set, I will be ok to angle tighten everything, rotate the engine a couple of times, then recheck tension and timing?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep it will be fine but always tighten the crank pulley first before moving to the cams

Lionel Richie
you can sip the angle tightening if you want (not recommended)

30nm + 86deg = 130nm in english for exhaust cam
40nm + 110deg = 140nm in english for crank bolt

do at your own risk - not my fault if it goes wrong!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I did it that way fred but I also made sure everything was 100% oil free. (Clened with brake cleaner)
I also used new nuts and bolts, that was 3 year's ago now. Car's fine. :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
you can sip the angle tightening if you want (not recommended)

30nm + 86deg = 130nm in english for exhaust cam
40nm + 110deg = 140nm in english for crank bolt

do at your own risk - not my fault if it goes wrong!!

Also worth noting to that these are with 100% NEW fixings to.

Clio 172
One other quick question on this, i have read than the ebay horseshoe tool is shite and bend when undoing the bolts etc, i have the renault pulley tool and crank locking pin, but an ebay horseshoe, will the horseshoe survive the tightening? I battered the bolts off with an impact gun so it didnt bend during that.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Its the cam pulley locking tool and crank pin that does the work of locking not the horse shoe mate.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The D-shape tool is a position setting tool, not a lock tool. Try using it as such and it'll bend the tool amd destroy your cams.