ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

time to convert

hi guys and gals, not been on for a long time due to personal reasons but i feel its now time to start my new project.

yes yes its another 172 into a mk1 valver but as my old lump is getting tired i think its gotta be worth it.

after reading the 2 cracking threads by geesus69 and Matteh about there conversions i just want some quick advise?

ive got a load of stuff already but whilst the conversion is being done ill be on my pushbike so im trying to get everthing together at once to minimise my time off road. below is what i already have so if those in the know can think of whats missing or incorrect and let me know it would be much appreciated.

1 clio ph1 172 complete engine,gearbox,loom and ecu (yet to be uncoded)
2 driveshafts from my valver
3 both radiators so i can decide when installed
4 engine and gearbox mounts from the 172

i know there is going to be some mucking about with coolant pipes, wiring and the exhaust from the manifold back but it all seems too easy so far?

once i start ill post up all the progress.

cheers

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Good luck with the project, sounds like you've got most evereything you'll need as long as you can get your head round the wiring. If you need any advise please don't hesitate to ask.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
radiator fan?

steering?

aux set up?

battery tray if you're going to use the 172 box & mounts (do you have ABS?)

keeping the oil pressure gauges?

I think between us, we have most of the issues nicely sorted :)

what ecu have you got? (numbers?)

oh, and good luck! :D

yeah got rads and fans off both cars, undecided which to use yet and was reading the progress on getting the 172 one to operate.

wanted to keep the pas really if i could, theres a issue with clearance aint there?

no abs, takes the fun out of track driving, got the battery surround.

yeah want the oil pressure gauge to work if non of the others.

whats the score with the auxillary set up? junking the air/con off the 172 engine!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
hopefully the 172 fan will work on mine, but i need it running first (and a fan come to think of it :()

means the pipework is easier if you use the 172 rad - though you will need adapters for the heater matrix

standard PAS will not fit with the 172 downpipe, so it needs to be a manual rack, though I'm looking to fit a 172 rack...

no ABS means you're free to fit the 172 battery tray and gearbox mount :)

for the oil pressure gauge to work, you can either connector the sender where the oil pressure switch goes and loose the oil pressure light on the dash or get a T-piece (they're both the same fitment)

for the aux set up, I've just bolted the valver brackets etc.. onto the 172 lump, though I', not sure what others have done, especially re: pas pump

get cracking :D

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
hello mate, good to see another one being done :D

me and beanie have used the same aux setup iirc, that is removing the pas and aircon pumps and using either a renault safrane or volvo (not sure which model) adjuster. together with a valver alternator it all seems to work.

and if you are going manual rack dont forget you will need the manual column aswell :)

apart from that it looks like you've got it all worked out, as beanie says dont hesitate to ask if you get stuck or need some advice

oh Matteh you asked about the ecu numbers, whys that? is there some that cant be uncoded?

mmm i would have liked to keep the pas, that might set me back a little!!! the 172 rack could be a good option if it will fit Matteh.

need to get an adjustable fuel reg too, forgot about that one!!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
if you're lucky, you can get an early ph1 172 with the fuel pressure regulator on it - if not, they're not expensive from renault. I'm using a mk1 rail with some brackets

I'm fairly sure the 172 rack fits (seen it on a french conversion) but I need to find one first (and fundage :dapprove)

I was asking about the ecu numbers purely out of interest as I know there was a lot of hassle/confusion with our round of conversions - except beanie, who seems to have it all sussed :D

just to add, you can keep oil temperature and level gauges too, the senders are swappable between the mk1 and 172 :D