ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for a new steering rack?

Ph1 T
Got a hell of alot of play in the steering when moving and turning the wheel quick although no dodgy noises when turning..

But there is this noise when turning the wheels with the car up in the air

th_467B97DB-8269-4D08-9991-675EA19A132B-1557-000000F4FD324BCB.jpg

Sounds just like a squelching fluid noise best way i can describe it and heres where its coming from on the rack

D55B2604-311A-4071-8AB9-5F671B84208E-1881-000000BDEF1695E3.jpg

If anyone can confirm the rack is on its way out or something just needs replacing that'd be great

Dan

Sounds pretty much normal in the video.

Inner tie rods ,tie rod ends and rack bushes.

Those are what i would be checking.

Ph1 T
Think I'd be better with second hand good new rack then. Why would it be rod ends or bushes btw making the noise that close to centre of the rack. Also the rod ends were replaced less than a year ago and look spot on

Ph1 T
Tbh I've never checked weather another sounds like that..

Think ill go for inner rods and bushes see if that cures anything then

You've got a boot that's slipped off there, unless you've removed it deliberately.

Mine makes a squelching noise when you move the rack from lock to lock, pretty sure it's normal though as it's pushing the PAS fluid about

Ph1 T
Yeah I removed that mate just to check there was nothing out of the ordinary..

Right so ill forget the squelching as that's normal then..

Any ideas with the sloppy/loose steering when turning sharp? It's like there's a delay and its swaying.

Arb bushes seem fine. Recent new rod ends and ball joints