ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim Lockhart's Monaco Correction

Hai.

Started with the usual pressure wash down, which showed there was a fairly decent amount of wax/lsp on the car. So to the pH neutral snow foam, I added some Chem Guys Citrus Wash as a stripper.

While the foam was doing it's job I used Megs APC (aka Tesco Daisy ;)) coupled with Envy brushes for all the nooks and crannys, coming across very little dirt issues, but good to cover.

The wheels were also washed down with APC, a mixture of brushes and a microfibre mitt. The tyres were also degreased and cleaned, again with brushes. Unfortunately an issue was exposed on the front wheels when washing behind the spokes. Clue; the yellow brush turned black :( (Tim make sure you get on to NW Performance and get her booked in for those CV boots).

This had its effect and cut the lsp to allow a fresh start on the paint. The car was then washed TBM with Megs Lambswool mitt and Gold Class shampoo.

The car was then re-pressure washed and dried with I4D towels.

iPhone495.gif

iPhone499.gif

iPhone500.gif

iPhone501.gif

iPhone513.gif
iPhone514.gif

iPhone515.gif

The car was then clayed using Megs Mild and No16 detailer;

iPhone505.gif

iPhone506.gif

I wasn't expecting to much contamination from the roof;

iPhone509.gif

Hmmmm. OK! Ahh well, good thing I had a large supply of clay!

Drivers side door and 3/4 :S

iPhone510.gif

The car was then rewashed, water sheeted over the car with open hose technique to minimise the amount of water on the surface and taken inside to be taped up.

iPhone518.gif

iPhone519.gif

iPhone520.gif

iPhone521.gif

iPhone522.gif

iPhone523.gif

The paint was then assessed. I took readings over the body work coupled with LED torch pictures. Nothing untoward (or so we thought).

IMG_9113.gif

IMG_9119.gif

IMG_9130.gif

IMG_9118.gif

One point that Tim had mentioned to me before the detail started; some Eagle had done its business on the roof!

IMG_9112.gif

Good old bird etching :(

Out came the rotary with Lime Prime on a 3M polishing pad. I'd had great success with this combo recently on my old Clio, a few recent Porsches (to come), so started on the bonnet;

iPhone525.gif

iPhone527.gif

iPhone528.gif

iPhone529.gif

iPhone530.gif

We then ran into major issues. I had absolute nightmares when I checked my work. The swirls had been irradicated, but the scratches appeared to have been left untouched. Strange I thought, so upped the combo to Menz IP. This had no effect what so ever. On closer inspection it was clear that the front of the car has been relacquered, but over the original lacquer and paint work. This gave a very very very slight dulling effect to the paint but un-noticeable to the glance (even my keen eye!!).

iPhone536.gif

This annoyed me, greatly, as Tim will bare witness to! But hey ho, my job was to make the best of the car's paintwork and make the owner happy as could be!

So on to the rest of the bonnet using IP and onto the roof etc.

IMG_9144.gif

iPhone537.gif

iPhone538.gif

iPhone548.gif

Some messing about by the boys (really good laugh these two, great to meet such easy going lads, happy to "dick about"!).

iPhone532.gif

iPhone544.gif

iPhone542.gif

I managed to achieve around 85-90% correction on all panels, except for the bonnet. The bird etching was greatly improved and with two passes, IP and finished with FF.

iPhone540.gif

FOREARMS FTW! x

The car was finished down with Menz FF on a LC CCS finishing pad for some nice flake pop (God I love this colour!). Tim (quite rightly) opted (read "was forced") to have a wax rather than sealent. And due to the looks *cough* smell off Natty's Blue, this was applied to all paint surfaces.

Glass cleaned with AG Glass Cleaner. Rubbers treated with AG Rubber and Vinyl. Wheels sealed and tyres dressed with Megs Endurance.

The car was then wheeled out to the delight of it's owner. A pleasure to meet you both guys, look forward to seeing the car at Trax (if I make it this year!).

Final photos;

iPhone551.gif

iPhone552.gif

iPhone553.gif

iPhone554.gif

iPhone555.gif

iPhone557.gif

iPhone558.gif

iPhone559.gif

iPhone561.gif

iPhone560.gif

Photos: Canon EOS 400D + iPhone 4
Image quality destroyed: Photobucket

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Beautiful piccys mate!!! Thanks again I'm proper chuffed with the job done :)

Any chance you could email me the pics? He he

lovely. looks like a hoot. i do love watching you work.

/gay

however, you need to employ riad for post car effort shots.. ;)

Bus w**ker
Tim (quite rightly) opted (read "was forced") to have a wax rather than sealent.
:nono:

It would have been quite right to opt for both...and a glaze. :rasp:

Nice job though, but f**k standing around for 8 hours watching someone detail your car.

X

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172

Nice job though, but f**k standing around for 8 hours watching someone detail your car.

X

Ha ha didn't hang around all day lol fucked off to the pub for a bit ;-) he he

DCi 100
Abit disapointed that you were getting lazy with the cable when doing the roof Jamie, or is there a reason to having is dangle close to the car?

As always good work, just a shame the pics when done are all over exposed and stuff.

db

db detailing™
Great work mate... makes me want to get stuck into my Monaco right now!

120d M Sport
Abit disapointed that you were getting lazy with the cable when doing the roof Jamie, or is there a reason to having is dangle close to the car?

As always good work, just a shame the pics when done are all over exposed and stuff.

Theres no pleasing some is there!

Having a detail done by someone who knows what they are doing is a good investment! Top work.

Pipe down young un!

First off, the cable on the rotary is short, so for the roof and spoiler it's wrapped around my body once to keep it off the car.

Secondly, when have you EVER known me to be lazy while detailing?!! 8 hrs straight without lunch to make sure Tim wasn't kept hanging around too late into the evening.

Edit; Christ, pmt atm Alex?? Didn't read the second part of your post! Yes they are. Care not. Simple fact of settings still set to take manual focus marring shots. Was concentrating on getting the car spick and span, not f**king about with canon settings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X

f**k you sexy ;) how you doing? Been a while!

Bumder With A Buffer
Excellent work! Its Odd I did mine yesterday...Haven't got any photos as the iphone camera is s**t for close ups and my normal one is f**ked :(

Probably not as good as yours though :) :) but I was only after an enhancement with mine :). Flake popping is lush!

The Rotary is easier to use then the DA for me :S?????

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Not bad fagger... And wtf!! good grope of the boaby in this pic!

iPhone513.gif

Last edited:
  DCi 100
Pipe down young un!

First off, the cable on the rotary is short, so for the roof and spoiler it's wrapped around my body once to keep it off the car.

Secondly, when have you EVER known me to be lazy while detailing?!! 8 hrs straight without lunch to make sure Tim wasn't kept hanging around too late into the evening.

Edit; Christ, pmt atm Alex?? Didn't read the second part of your post! Yes they are. Care not. Simple fact of settings still set to take manual focus marring shots. Was concentrating on getting the car spick and span, not f**king about with canon settings!

Fair enought if there was a reason, as I asked.

You seem to have taken offence to me thinking that the photo's don't do such a correct justice. I'm not aware of you keeping a portfolio of work, but it's always good to show what's worth doing off well IMO. Those pictures IMO aren't up to scratch of those from the Clio, Aston or even the previous Monaco amongst others that you worked on. Oh well.

I'll go and pipe down...

Fair enought if there was a reason, as I asked.

You seem to have taken offence to me thinking that the photo's don't do such a correct justice. I'm not aware of you keeping a portfolio of work, but it's always good to show what's worth doing off well IMO. Those pictures IMO aren't up to scratch of those from the Clio, Aston or even the previous Monaco amongst others that you worked on. Oh well.

I'll go and pipe down...

Not at all young un! Just pulling your leg pal ;)