ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tiger Racing GTA

Forester STi SG9
At the beginning of this year I fancied something fast to use as a weekend car/take to work on nice days and to also perhaps break my trackday cherry in. However, I didn't want something that will depreciate too much and doesn't have high running costs. I really did want an evo but that doesn't really fit in with those conditions I don't think. Maybe one day though!

With that in mind, a friend suggested that I look at kit cars as they generally hold their value incredibly well, and the associated running costs tend to be very low. After a bit of research I had my mind set on getting a bike engined Fisher/Sylva Fury. Unfortunately, with it being the middle of winter, there weren't actually any Fury's for sale. I looked at Westfield's, Tiger B6's, and a locost/Haynes, but was never really committed to any of them.

Then, all of a sudden, a Tiger GTA cropped up for sale from a local dealer. It wasn't bike engined but I thought I would go and see anyway. I booked a test drive, on what I believe was one of the coldest days of the year, just 2 weeks after I had had major open abdominal surgery as well! Needless to say, I still really enjoyed the test drive! So much so, I decided I had to have it.

It was pretty much a blank canvas when I bought it, put together with very little individual touches added by the builder, so it's very much open to me to add some of my own touches to it which I'm more than happy doing, so is a bit of an ongoing project atm.

Anyway, here it is. Cue the "looks like a Fisher Fury to me" from those in the know. Yes, it does. And I like it :)

IMG_20140515_160030.jpg

IMG_20140617_1647122.jpg

IMG_20140617_164639.jpg

IMG_20140625_142558.jpg

IMG_20140414_185407.jpg

IMG_20140301_144830.jpg

IMG_20140531_135024123.jpg
Sorry about the picture quality

That looks a fun bit of kit Is that an 1.8 mx5 engine? Engine bay looks lovely. Like it a lot. :cool: Would love a kit car.
Think my s2000 is the nearest I'll get to one of these for a good while yet.

Forester STi SG9
Thanks you two. Yeah it's a 1.8 mx5 engine (mk2) so a little bit underpowered compared to some of the other kit cars, but is still seriously fun! There aren't many of these GTA's around at all although there is one with an s2000 engine. I can't even imagine how much fun that will be!

I had hoped on supercharging this at some stage but I think I'm happy with it as it is.

Thanks you two. Yeah it's a 1.8 mx5 engine (mk2) so a little bit underpowered compared to some of the other kit cars, but is still seriously fun! There aren't many of these GTA's around at all although there is one with an s2000 engine. I can't even imagine how much fun that will be!

I had hoped on supercharging this at some stage but I think I'm happy with it as it is.
Sounds great to me. I had a mk2.5 mx5 with that engine in and it's not too shabby! And your car would be much lighter than a mx5 too. It would be quick enough I'd say! What's it weigh roughly?
Supercharging would really make it fly, I was going to supercharge mine but sold it instead, have the s2000 now and that engine would be superb in a kit car! :D
If you get bored of it in future though, as you say, you can always charge it! :cool:

Forester STi SG9
Tiger say that they weigh 600kgs with the ford zetec engine in which is pretty much identical to this mazda engine, which would make this 240 bhp/tonne :)

Forester STi SG9
Well, after some lovely drives out in it these last few weeks, and a good blast with my friends Spire GTR (pictured above), which tbf is a fair bit quicker than my GTA, I have decided that it does in fact deserve more power.

This is where having an mx5 based kit car has the advantage over the more common ford zetec based ones. Plenty of boost options available! I've been advised by Tiger Racing to go with a supercharger as it will be more driveable than a turbo, but will it be as fun? I'm not so sure. I really don't know what to do! Lots of research needed.

This will be a winter project so I have plenty of time to decide. If anyone is clued up please feel free to drop some kind advice in here!

In the meantime, plenty of pictures of a recent outing to Shortgrove Hall, Essex, the scene of an insurance swindle from the infamous Kray twins. b*****ds burnt down nearly the whole entire estate for a sizeable payout!

IMG_20140719_143447.jpg

IMG_20140719_143244.jpg

IMG_20140719_143435.jpg
IMG_20140719_143306.jpg

IMG_20140719_143343.jpg

IMG_20140719_143343.jpg

IMG_20140719_143546.jpg

IMG_20140719_143759.jpg

IMG_20140719_143219.jpg

IMG_20140719_143519.jpg

IMG_20140719_143503.jpg
IMG_20140719_143329.jpg

IMG_20140719_143648.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Lovely car! Don't see many of these about on the road! Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out.

Jack

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Nice piece of kit, bright green FTW ;)

Have to say though, that c**kpit makes the one in the westie look massive! Even though in reality they're probably a similar size.

And yes, it does look like a fisher. They're actually pretty good from what I've seen, post good times.

Forester STi SG9
They are based on the Avon which is quite a popular one, exactly the same chassis ect just different body. Although, the body was only designed in 2012 so most are still in the build process. Although, for some reason it hasn't proven to be very popular just yet so yeah, not many around or currently in production. Shame really!

Don't think I'd even heard of Tiger before today but this is the second one I've read about tonight strangely enough.

A friend (formerly of this forum) raves about his supercharged MX-5, sure it'd be a riot in something of this weight.

Last edited:
  Forester STi SG9
The seats are actually westfield seats so there probably isn't that much in it, but every little helps trust me! I am very, very snug in there and I am very slim at just over 10 st and 5'9".

Nice new pics! Looks amazing.
When I was looking into boosting my mx5, I would have gone for supercharged. Supercharger in your would be good due to weight, with its smoother delivery. Turbo could be bit harsh coming on boost in a light rwd car like yours.
I'm sure you'd still have more than enough fun with it supercharged, but more predictable sideways action, when you actually want a bit of fun. ☺

Forester STi SG9
You can convert an Avon to a GTA quite easily. They do a conversion kit which just involves adding the mounts for the body, that's it, everything else is the same.

Forester STi SG9
I don't want smooth delivery, I like a good kick in the arse :) Although I see your point!

I really need to do a lot more investigation into supercharging etc, but is power delivery always very linear? Or, can this be manipulated with mapping or different types of charger perhaps?

Being belt driven I'd say it's very linear. Not much adjustment. Maybe I'm wrong.

I know what you mean, I wanted aggressive delivery too, then was imagining agressive delivery mid corner in a rwd car on a dewy Sunday morning. :eek: could get caught out.

Then again with a small turbo and good map I suppose it wouldn't be such harsh delivery. I'm sure a bit of reading up and you'll make right choice. :cool:

Forester STi SG9
There is so much I need to learn that I think if I try to make my own decision on what to go for it will probably end up being the wrong one. Haha

I've not really got enough driving experience under my belt (not driven anything supercharged before, and turbo is limited) to know exactly what I want out of the car so unless I can get test drives in different applications I'm better off just going with what someone like Tiger advise as they have already run several supercharged mx5 Avons.

Well in that case I'd recommend supercharged without doubt. I've had a lot of turbo cars and one supercharged mini Cooper s. Power delivery is great with supercharger and has an amazing addictive whine sound
If you have limited driving experience supercharged lot better

Although my experience is in front wheels drive for a comparison, the supercharger kept more of the NA feel just more powerful. Turbo is a little harder to control wheelspin due to the way the torque comes in. The T5 in my Focus was particularly torquey though. Sure you'll have fun with either.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Light weight, short wheelbase, sticky tyres + coming on boost mid corner = backwards, unless you're wide awake.

So you could do what chip did and limit boost according to throttle position (so you're only getting what you ask for) or supercharge.