ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ticking noise (cam area) with videos

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all

I'm currently suffering with quite a loud ticking noise from the engine of my 182.

Car is on 105k now and had all belts and dephaser pulley changed last april so I'm hoping it isn't to do with the dephaser.

Last week I changed the oil and filter for Titan race pro S (5w40), it only seemed to start after this? it may just be a characteristic of the oil but I would like to make sure.

The car doesn't appear to feel down on power at all when driving, it seems to get faster with the revs but I have only held it up to about 2k, can't seem to hear it over normal driving noise.

There are two videos of the actual engine below, it seems to be coming from the actual engine as opposed to carbon canister area.

And also one from the exhaust as it is also misfiring which I could do with getting to the bottom of, this only started happening after new lambada sensors were fitted so those running correctly has probably highlighted the other problem.

Any ideas of where to start would be brilliant, I've sat and read all sorts of threads today for different ideas and my heads full of allsorts now!

Thanks

Paul

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
It sounds like one of the hydraulic lifters.
Did you use a genuine Renault oil filter?

They were one of the possibilties I was reading into, yes genuine filters have been used on the last 3 services I have done on the car, it only seemed to happen after it was all changed though so could a loose filter cause it im any way maybe? Just fishing for ideas now.

clio 172 phase 2
Check the spark plugs are tight. Mine have come loose a couple of times even at the correct torque.
And makes that sound when they are loose.
also seen it on a few other cars, where it sounds alot more serious then that.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Check the spark plugs are tight. Mine have come loose a couple of times even at the correct torque.
And makes that sound when they are loose.
also seen it on a few other cars, where it sounds alot more serious then that.

I'll check that out this weekend then, thanks a lot :smile:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
How did you get on Paul?

I haven't looked into it any further at present buddy, everything I read/was advised on was pointing towards nothing destructive happening and the car appears to be running okay so I've just been plodding on for now, I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets worse I'll do something more proactive about it.

Hows yours doing?

Titanium 182
Yea mine is running very well at the mo! Got a slight exhaust leak though which I am hoping is the cause behind my ticking noise haha