ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Ticking" from passenger wheel?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mainly when pulling off/changing direction?

I've been led to believe it's driveshaft (well CV joint) but could it be a wheel bearing?

Or something else entirely?

It's a very noticeable ticking, also happens at slow speed when coming on and off the thottle or hitting a bump?

All advice welcomed.

Cheers

53 Clio's & counting
Clicking when turning is a sympteom of cv joint wear, but not usually over bumps mate, it could be a number of or combination of a few things - id look at a knackered shocker/arb bush/wishbone bush for the knocking-is it a knock or definate click?

Mk5 golf gti
sometimes when the clip that holds the cv boot on snaps it can catch and cause a clicking noise

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It is a 1000% a clicking, no knocking.

It seems to not be relevant to wheel rotations, I.e if you're rolling backwards, sling it in first and accelerate it could click loads of times very quickly with no real "click per wheel turn" type thing?

Im giving it a good looking over tomorrow.

Cv joint isn't too much of a problem, I'll just throw a new shaft on.

53 Clio's & counting
I doubt its cv if its not linked to wheel rotation - it could be a few loose ball bearings i suppose, but i doubt it mate - id say something is loose

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
When this started, I had a damn good look over it, couldn't see anything. Couldn't replicate the noise with my hands either. It is linked to wheel movement, but it doesn't just do it once per rotation if you see what I mean?

As said, I'll take it apart tomorrow, if the gaitor is CV clipped, I can't take a look, buy if it's jubilee, I'll open it up too.

Going to fit two new balljoints too, I need a refresh of all of those sort of components really, just need the time and money.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah its a right pain finding the odd noises mate, im doubting the cv boot clip only because they are flimsly little things and break often but are not big enough to make a noise loud enough to be heard inside the car

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You can hear it inside the car mate, and I jacked it up a month or so ago and had a damn good look at that side, saw nothing.

Tried spinning the disc in my hand, no joy, I'll give it another look tomorrow and go for a drive with TEG to try to get a video.

This one is a pickle...

It's a real click/tick, very noticeable.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have taken the silver shims out recently... But they are ds2500's so not supposed to need them!

It doesn't sound like pads though, it's a very weird noise, one I've never heard from a car before.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Had the whole car apart today, well not literally.. but anyway....

New balljoints on both sides, and there's NOTHING loose/wrong on that side.

It must be CV joint related I guess.

I need my tracking sorted so bad it's untrue, but I need to fit a new shaft first. Kill me. :(

Clio 1.4 16V
Hi, did you manage to track down the cause of this? mine is doing what i think is the same thing from the passenger side, when going over bumps amd pulling away, clicking type ticking, happens for the same amount of time, every time (1 sec ish) and can hear it from inside.

Matt

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Not sure but by the sounds of it you say its coming from the front.

Just an idea. check the rear pads arent rattling around and the retaining springs etc are in place. might sound like front but actually from the rear

Clio 1.4 16V
Na its more than one, had a look under car today and noticed CV boot had come of, would this cause a noise.

I have drums and shoes on the back

I also noticed the passenger brake disc doesnt spin freely, related?

Matt