ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Position Sensor (car cutting out)

My 2003 1.2 16v decided to cut out today, and the light on the dash came on (think its the preheat one or something, I cant find my manual to tell you which one it is sorry) basically, its driving, cuting out, then ill restart it and its dying again or it will only rev to like half revs. Rac man came out, diagnosed it as Throttle Position Sensor, so I need a new one, are these only direct from renault? are they expensive? and has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks,

Darren

LY 182
what sort of year is the car,,, if its the old shape inlet manifold 1.2 16v i'd bet its not a throttle position sensor (they dont have one as such being fly by wire) it will either be the pedal or the throttle body hes on about

the big one on the older 1.2's though is the ecu cover rubbing through the wiring.

if its that is just a simple delete the cover and repair the wiring.

renault will try and baffle you will bullsh*t about needing a new ecu and engine loom and try to leave you 500 quid odd lighter but no need for it

Its 2003, yea the big metal box came off back in like 04, and cut through all the wires, completely screwed the loom up, that was all repaired under warranty lucky for me

LY 182
ah right, well as said theres no throttle postion sensor as such, either the pedal or the throttle body

LY 182
RAC man said I need a new throtle position sensor, so aint I better order one? lol :S
you can have a go mate but expect an interesting conversation with the parts dept.

throttle setup consists of two parts, well 4 acutally but 2 that go wrong on the regualr,, throttle pedal, connected to the ecu via wiring loom, then out of the ecu to the electronic throttle body.

Fook me, my uncle just rang renault for me, they said there are 2 throttle position sensors, one in the engine and one on the pedal, the one on the engine which I think has gone they have quote £297 for the part!

****UPDATE*****

Was reading around forums off google and other car sites, quite a common problem aparently, a few people said they unconnected the sensor (one in the black anti tamper box), then I noticed where renault repaired it before they have just used insulation tape on the wires which were broke through. So I took the tape off unclip it, there was on connector plug a bit clogged with dirt, got it out slowly with a pin, cleaned it up, then re taped the wires as there was copper showing through one of them. And touch wood been out twice light has gone out and car feels back to normal. Im going to give it a good run out later for a bit and see what happens

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
used to get this all the time, got it diagnosed, same thing. i belive ditz gave me the same advice he has done here and i checked and the box was rattling about on the wires so i fiddled with it sand got it on firmly, box must have fell off lol and all is well :D so i think you should be ok now

LY 182
Fook me, my uncle just rang renault for me, they said there are 2 throttle position sensors, one in the engine and one on the pedal, the one on the engine which I think has gone they have quote £297 for the part!
yep, ones the throttle body, others the throttle pedal, thats what i was on about mate.

and well done for sorting it