ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle body setups...what's required?

Ph1 track slag
After doing a few track days I'm looking to do something I always said I wouldn't!...hunt more power!

What's required for throttle bodies barring the bodies, manifold, and management of some kind?. Just weighing up the potential costs. I'd fit it all myself and maybe seek help with the electrical side and the mapping of course.

Listerine & Poledo
as above, boost will be a cheaper option and with greater scope for MOAR POARS!
but nat.asp. is just generally cooler.....maybe not with the Paul Walkerettes, but, well, they have special needs

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
NA would be best for track work though, would it not? Charger would be an option asyou get to keep a similar power delivery.

Listerine & Poledo
NA would be best for track work though, would it not? Charger would be an option asyou get to keep a similar power delivery.
Pretty much yes, if you want mid-corner adjustability then a fan in the exhaust isn't the best route.
Superchargers / ITB & Cams / Displacement.

And since the 3rd of those isn't really an option, the other 2 are the kings :)

I'd go for cams aswell while your at it, and whilst doing that maybe new valves, im currently doing my throttle body build on a spare engine and its costing alot for not much gains but if your not botherd by that then carry on, im doing it as i want it to still be reliable and fun to drive :)

Listerine & Poledo
I'd go for cams aswell while your at it, and whilst doing that maybe new valves, im currently doing my throttle body build on a spare engine and its costing alot for not much gains but if your not botherd by that then carry on, im doing it as i want it to still be reliable and fun to drive :smile:
I want to see what the final outcome of this is :)

ITB's, Cams.....maybe you could balance that crankshaft and lighten the flywheel too....think of the revs! :D

Listerine & Poledo
ONly thought I just had... I'm sure I read a post by one of the tech gurus on here saying that the F4R isn't really one for big revs.... not in the Honda-style of big revs anyway.

All to do with the bore & stroke, IIRC.

But yes, updates!!!!!

Ph1 track slag
I want to stick to n/a as I prefer the driveability to a turbo. Thinking a bodied car will be more reliable than a turbo'd one aswel. Just trying to work out what it'll cost realistically not a ktec job of give them £3/4k and hand it back with 200hp. I'd rather buy each part at my own pace and fettle it myself. Basically want to know what to buy??

ONly thought I just had... I'm sure I read a post by one of the tech gurus on here saying that the F4R isn't really one for big revs.... not in the Honda-style of big revs anyway.

All to do with the bore & stroke, IIRC.

But yes, updates!!!!!

True. The whole engine just isn't designed for revs. It's designed and manufactured to do 180bhp and 40mpg.

You want a rod ratio As close to 1.75 as possible (length of rod against stroke) the F4r is 1.54, b16 meanwhile is 1.74:1. This means less of the Piston speeds are lower in comparison to the crank speed. And also results in less wear on the bores while its pushing the rod sideways, also means there is less inertia on the big end (think of a weight in your hand and spin round, it gets 'heavier' the further away from the axis it is) which also results in lost energy.

The f4r's lifter setup is also crap for high revs with roller rockers. Where as if it had mechanical lifters or even cams directly onto the back of the valve it'll be better for Revs. The whole design of the engine is just to deliver everything it's got at 5k, and it does that.

Ph1 track slag
How does a standard bottom end hold up? Obviously boost levels affect it but needs to be worth while...2 bar minimum lol