ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle body owners

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
obviously i have quite alot of experience driving ITB cars well car but i want to hear the overall impression of them.

whats the fuel like in yours, reliability, etc etc
what would you change

cheers T

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Well most of the TB'd cars came out of GDi...so best askin andy!...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio v6
Very interesting subject Laura.

I too have seen a few pictures and the odd video of people making a noise with these throttle bodies. I haven't read much about their day to day expereinces with them, or any regrets etc.

Clio v6
Well most of the TB'd cars came out of GDi...so best askin andy!...

Ah but Andy sells the things, he's not likely to say anything people might really want to hear is he?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The problem with an ITB install will be ECU and loom related. Nothing to do with the ITB hardware.

This is true, TB's are TB's really when it comes down to it its all about the control of the things. There are several designs but ive never seen RB-ITB's available for the clio.

Laura, what setup are you considering?

Cooper S
A friend of mine a few years back put throttle bodies on his Valver......Cost him alot of cash and to this day he says it wasn't worth it (in his opinion). The car sounded sweet afterwards and was a bit more responsive, but for the price it did not significantly improve performance enough for him to justify doing it to future cars...Was also quite a bit more thirsty afterwards...

I thought the best thing to do is hang around the GDI workshop?
Nice name change!! Guess you got sick of being called dude and fella???

Mark

Lionel Richie
erm, they're fine, as long as the install is neat and tidy (i've seen some shockers!) and all the lights aren't on on the dash (the most annoying thing in the world)

erm, they're fine, as long as the install is neat and tidy (i've seen some shockers!) and all the lights aren't on on the dash (the most annoying thing in the world)

Agreed, wiring and mapping is the key.

Bad connection in the loom can be an absolute f**king nightmare to find, as I found out recently. Your nice 3 year old car feels like a bag of nails and all the companies I spoke to, to have a look at didnt really want to touch it.

It has taken me ages to find the problem and now my wideband controller appears to be knackered aswell!

CX-7,westfield,ix20
To be honest I would never bother with 'serious' mods again.

Been there done it in the past and it always gave me grief.

I'd much prefer a better more standard car now instead of a heavily modified one.

I'd save the money for throttle bodies and put it towards a better car.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
mark are you looking at having itbs done?

we need to try a few new things on some f4rs!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
lol jon i couldnt ask you to pay for all that :p

as said will be a few months before i can think obout saving for them, and need to speak to the insurers to see if i can get insured, im 20 for those that dont know.

Reliability - Excellent

Only problems you are likely to find are electronics related where the Renault parts are interfering - its best to remove all the renault crap and make your own loom for what you need.

Fuel Consumption - Normal if you are not leathering it
Fuel Consumption - Sub 10MPG if you are at full chat

Jesus could have told you that, but then he would always have got a good 30mpg driving it as he does... ;-)

/y0z

lol @ edit - too slow ;)

as Yoz says, good normal mpg, bad when giving it death lol... but it's true, I drive mine like a girl for the most part and just like the noise they make. Actually, you still owe me a go in yours Yoz after Donnington all those many moons ago... best not have sold it, I wanna have a go round the Ring in it!!! lol

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Your going about it the best way Laura, research and ask lots of Q's!!

Paying for them and backing the build yourself really helps, I guess you have more confidence in the work done and any problems (if any) you will know about as you will have built it from start to finish rather than getting one allready done.

Good luck, there should be more people out there which put there own money in to creating these TB'd beasts!

:)

Sam.

Paying for them and backing the build yourself really helps, I guess you have more confidence in the work done and any problems (if any) you will know about as you will have built it from start to finish rather than getting one allready done.

Good luck, there should be more people out there which put there own money in to creating these TB'd beasts!

Sam.

lol, knowing the car from the start is easily the best method, glad I'll be in this elite catagory of people now my cars standard and starting afresh ;)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Sam.

lol, knowing the car from the start is easily the best method, glad I'll be in this elite catagory of people now my cars standard and starting afresh ;)

williams and trophy
lol@ as economic as norm .......bollox...even driving mine as i normally do...fairly steady for the 1st 2 mins ...;).......10 mpg.

M

mini-valver

FPMSL!!^^

I'd make sure I had a loom extension and placed the ECU inside the car for a start!

Exige S1 + Honda S1
Im loving them, mpg is about 36 on a good motorway run and about 10 when giving it some. If its not about that then it aint mapped very well.

only thing I would change is the radiator, need a lower one.

Or maybe higher profile cams and solid lifters.