ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle body cleaned but made problem worse- help

Clio 172 sport
I have had the sticky throttle problem and was told to clean out the butterfly in the throttle body, it has made the car faster and more responsive but the revs are now sticking at like 2k rpm.. when i stop

any body know why/ how to resolve the problem?

Clio 172 sport
throttle body cleaned out but made problem worse?

Cleaned my throttle body out with carb cleaner and the car is now idleing at 2k

can any one help?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Re: throttle body cleaned out but made problem worse?

Got a good fit on the TB? if the rubber o-ring gasket has a gap in it you will get a nice humming idle

Clio 172 sport

I just took the intake hose off that holds the induction kit and sprayed the butterfly and cleaned all around it with car cleaner,

but didnt remove the throttle body... now its faster but when i stop its sticking at like 2k - 2.5k... so annoying im meant to be running at santa pod 2mo so want to get it soprted asap any one??

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Havent been playing with inlet manifold/acoustic valve?

Any of those can lead back to air leaks resulting in higher than normal idle

Clio 172 sport

no i just cleaned the butterfly and around the edges that was all.. i have tried running it for a while and giving it a blast but still revin really high.. sounds like a tank

ITB'd MK1

tried revving it a bit to clear the carb cleaner that will have gone into the plenum?

Ph1
Check the throttle cable isnt frayed. Also check that the cable holder (the black disk on the TB) is sitting back against the idle gromit.

Most common problem with ph1's is the spring on the TB wear out.

Clio 172 sport
it seems all seems fine.. the wire the disk and the spring... the spring seems to be working quite well and if i play with the throttle cable while its revving high it has no effect...

Clio 172 sport
I was thinking?

shall i take the throttle body off completely and clean the whole thing?

remap again it with rs tuner?

take the idle control valve off and give it a clean?

do you think any of these will help

Ph1
it seems all seems fine.. the wire the disk and the spring... the spring seems to be working quite well and if i play with the throttle cable while its revving high it has no effect...

Yeah but is it sitting against the gromit?

If its only as little as 2mm off it will race your idle up

2 seconds to check. Car revs up, open the bonnet and physically move the black holder to see

Jamesstone, ph1's dont have a acoustic valve

Clio 172 sport
I was thinking?

shall i take the throttle body off completely and clean the whole thing?

remap again it with rs tuner?

take the idle control valve off and give it a clean?

do you think any of these will help

any of the above??

PH1 172 Sport
my advice would be to remove the tb and then the upper plenum. remove all sensors from the plenum and clean everything including the sensors thoroughly.

Check both gaskets are ok and then put everything back together. Make sure the oring on the oil breather on the back of the plenum is sealing correctly also.

Another thing to check is when the car is over reving at idle lift the accelerator peddle up and if the revs drop then this points to a problem with either the cable of the tb return spring.

Ph1
TB spring

TB cable

Air leak from a gasket

Air leak from a pipe not connected (vacum on the plenum, IVC pipe, or Intake pipe)

Your TB wont need cleaning if its as high as 2 - 2.5k idle. Thats more than a bit of carbon build up

Clio 172 sport
if i lift the accelerator from below or rev it it doesnt cure the problem of the high revving

Clio 172 sport
sometimes it will just drop to normal but as soon as i touch the throttle it will start the high idle again.. i had it in 3rd gear and it was doing 30mph on its own without me touching anything.. hmm

Ph1
Another tip is when the car revs up on idle, stationary, hand brake on, car in gear and slowly lift the clutch out to bring the revs down 'manually'

if you can bring it down so its nearly stalling, put it back into neutral and it still revs up your probably sucking in air somewhere

Did you clean the return spring?

If all the grease is removed from it then it can become 'sticky'.

When its idling high, try closing the throttle via the spindle on the TB.

Clio 172 sport

ok i didnt want to start it while the air filter was off..is this ok?

Clio 172 sport

yea i have loaded the spring and cable with wd40 lubricant

its not really a very good lubricant for the job.

and its ok to do it without the filter on, unless your in a sand storm.

PH1 172 Sport
i used some motorcyle chain oil on the tb spring and cable the other day and it seems to work really well. Its runny when it comes out the can so it gets in all the hard to get places and then it sets like a grease within a few minutes.

Clio 172 sport
i used some motorcyle chain oil on the tb spring and cable the other day and it seems to work really well. Its runny when it comes out the can so it gets in all the hard to get places and then it sets like a grease within a few minutes.

i lubed up the return spring with some oil and also lubed up the butterfly and around it and it fixed the problem for about an hour

any one know where to get a new spring that is attached to the butterfly??

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
had the same problem with mine - did all thats been mentioned. Finally replaced the idle control valve and job done car working sweet again.

Clio 172 sport
where is it located mate..? is it the black thing with 2 star key screws on the front of the throttle body?

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
take engine cover off. about 6 inch back and to the left of TB you'll spot it. cable plugged in to left hand side and hose plugged in underneath, held in by two bolts. cost me £63 ish from dealer. i can get you part number later if needed.

Clio 172 sport
Resolved the problem... the butterfly in the throttle body was sticking as when i cleaned it out i took away all the lubrication in the throttle body

so i sprayed inside with plenty of silicone lubricant and took off the black thing thats connected to the front with 2 screws and lubricated this... fixed the problem completely... running great