ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies

Clio 182
I've seen a lot of people mention ITB but I don't know much about them.
What do throttle bodies do and what will I benefit from?
Probably most importantly, what do they cost?

A lot.

Direct to head "trumpets" rather than an inlet manifold with an airbox.

Then you can either just have a sausage filter covering the 4 trumpets or you can have them enclosed into its own kind of airbox.

Probably 40bhp gain over std now?

They need a standalone ecu unless someone has figured out how to do them with stock ecu.

You need to ditch your fly by wire throttle control on your 182 and you'd need a ph1 throttle body with a propper throttle cable linked to your pedal.

They sound good and make it more responsive. Sharper and more immeadiate acceleration.

Clio 182
Not a simple job then? I've seen and heard cars have this done and they sound amazing. Just what my 182 needs I think but its whether i can afford it or not which is the problem.

Well if you source the parts yourself i.e - direct from jenvey you could get it inc managment for under £1.5k i think. Then you would need it fitting unless you did that yourself. There's a few guy's on here that are pretty handy and have fitted itbs themself, whether they would do it for you at a cheaper cost i don't know.

Generally your looking at around £4k to have someone supply & fit itbs, drive in drive out but then theres more work that you may want doing i.e cambelt, aux belt whilst the engine is in bits, this bumps the price up.

Decent cams will cost you about £850-1k fitted as far as i can remember.

Clio 182
Thanx for the info. Will have to give it some thought. Had no idea it was gonna cost that much but judging by what i've seen, its worth it!

Clio 182
If you're feeling adventurous you can build a tb setup for far less money that £1.5k.

A few friends of mine have built engines running bike throttle bodies with custom inlets and then fitted a 'megasquirt' ecu. These can be more work but if you use your loaf you can build a setup like this for around £500.

Clio 182
If you're feeling adventurous you can build a tb setup for far less money that £1.5k.

A few friends of mine have built engines running bike throttle bodies with custom inlets and then fitted a 'megasquirt' ecu. These can be more work but if you use your loaf you can build a setup like this for around £500.

Sounds good but I have no mechanical abilities at all!!!:S

Clio 182
Maybe you should lay off looking at tb's in any respect until your skills develop my friend :)

Even if you had them fitted by someone else they're very rarely a fit and forget item, can be quite tempramental. Designed for racing not road use you see.

Best to still with the standard inlet and look elsewhere for decent gains. Suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres and finally weight reduction IMHO.

Clio 182
Maybe you should lay off looking at tb's in any respect until your skills develop my friend :)

Even if you had them fitted by someone else they're very rarely a fit and forget item, can be quite tempramental. Designed for racing not road use you see.

Best to still with the standard inlet and look elsewhere for decent gains. Suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres and finally weight reduction IMHO.

Sadly i'd probably agree with you. I just love the sound. Suspension is on the way next week, wheels and tyres in a couple weeks and brakes fairly soon as well so I cant complain too much.

Clio 182
No you can not my friend, no you can not.

That's a fine shopping list. Mine's not dissimilar i fancy an exhaust and IK first just to get a bit more roort into my life, then an ecu map, and then some coilys and some fat ass brakes. Then maybe i'll be happy, maybe.

I disagree, never had a problem with mine and many on here that do have itbs don't have to do much maintenance on them what so ever.

I'd say they need a 10 minute tweak every 6-12 months and regular cleaning of the trumpets and sausage filter. Whoever installed them should tweak them if you had the car serviced with them every year. They would also check the map.

I still don't think they are worth the money though mate. It's such a lot of money for not much gains.

Clio 182
I reckon your right and i think i'm just gonna stay pretty much standard to be honest. The 182 is quick enough and I can use that money in better areas. I appreciate all the advise, its always good to know there is help available.