ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle bodies or turbo

clio 182 turbo
hi there got a clio 182 ,im looking at throttle bodies or turbo ,I know with turbo engine dynamics are the folks to use ,but throttle boddies who do folks say ,I want to drive in and drive out with it done ,does and donts with it and guide on cost .

172 Turbo
Mine is a personal view, I love ITBs. The noise from the bodies is worth it alone, the car is noticeably quicker and the power delivery is linear.

Still not sold on low boost turbo's though, they give you 30-40bhp more than ITBs at peak.

To me, there is nothing better than the rumble of ITBs from low rpm in 2nd gear to hitting high rpm in 4th.

Mk1 1.8 16V Turbo
Turbo.... low boost Engine dynamics. Look at the figures they speak for themselves, BHP is around 230 and the torque is around the same, its a no brainer.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I had bodies on my 172 and if I could go back
I would turbo instead. It sounded sexy did my car and was quicker BUT if this is for your daily turbo charging is a no brainer. It will make the car more responsive from low down and you won't have to drop it to 3rd to over take a wagon.

clio 182 turbo
how do the standard internals respond to having a turbo on there ,with all the extra pressure and things on there .

I have ITB's. The noise is something else. I drive my car once a month. It's SO loud and exciting when I rev it out, the adrenaline rush is something I could never get bored of.

It almost feels too scary to rev out on the road. But mine is fully stripped and on hardcore suspension so it bumps around a lot as well as being noisy as f**k. All adding to the thrill.

I love ITBs, but If I was power hunting I would go turbo and with Engine Dynamics.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have ITB's. The noise is something else. I drive my car once a month. It's SO loud and exciting when I rev it out, the adrenaline rush is something I could never get bored of.

It almost feels too scary to rev out on the road. But mine is fully stripped and on hardcore suspension so it bumps around a lot as well as being noisy as f**k. All adding to the thrill.

I love ITBs, but If I was power hunting I would go turbo and with Engine Dynamics.

Any video's of your car?

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
IMAG2111_1_1.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I am currently saving for ITB's. But the set up I want is the "Performance Engine Build 2" from Engine Dynamics for the block as my +168k miler I have in it probably wont last long with any more power! The power figure I am after is ~210bhp I think I will need a rebuilt engine and cams, which I don't think is too unrealistic. When I come to purchasing it all, hopefully next year, speak to ED about them fitting the ITB's and getting it set up ready, but not too sure what ITB's to get, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Products/Product.asp?departmentid=298&id=105813

This is my brother's fault as every time I see him he keeps asking when am I getting it done. He had ITB's in his old 106 and that was prety epic.

phase 1 flamer 172
Is not the engine more suited to boost than itb,s ?, surely the long stroke narrow bore, poor conrod length isn't really best for high revs which is what itb,s are all about.

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I fitted itbs and 421 cams last year. Absolutely epic, biggest adrenaline buzz, the noise, power isn't everything. Personal preference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've had two previous ITB builds. They were great (but, sadly, very short-lived). I'm now going boosted and wish I had done from the start. I'm an NA lover but wish I'd stuck to NA mod's for the Type-R and simply gone boosted on the Clio from day one. On personal experience I do think the F4R is better suited to boost (although there is always a risk when considering and implementing modifications).

If you want the noise and drama (and nicely responsive feel) then ITB's and cams are a great option. But - I always say this - you need to be realistic and temper your expectations as to the potential gains. They aren't massive but they are noticeable. And the sound and aesthetics of an ITB build are always good on the eye and ear. If you go with a relatively mild ITB setup (ITB's, cams) then depending on how healthy your engine is then a genuine 200bhp+ is achievable. Possibly more with a good engine, map and mild mods elsewhere. If you're looking for high power NA then the cost increases significantly as you'll need to look at lairy cams, forged components, high compression, block / head work, maybe solid lifters. You are suddenly looking at thousands of pounds more and the result will still only get you to around where a low boost Clio would be at (and with less torque). Such a high-powered NA wouldn't be good for a daily driver either and would really be better suited to weekend fun and track days.

As you are looking at a drive-in, drive-out service I would guess you don't have the time or expertise to do the work yourself so would probably be looking at a few thousand pounds for a nicely sorted ITB build (nothing too mad). Personally I would put those few thousand towards a low boost setup and enjoy that.

Ph1
I am currently saving for ITB's. But the set up I want is the "Performance Engine Build 2" from Engine Dynamics for the block as my +168k miler I have in it probably wont last long with any more power! The power figure I am after is ~210bhp I think I will need a rebuilt engine and cams, which I don't think is too unrealistic. When I come to purchasing it all, hopefully next year, speak to ED about them fitting the ITB's and getting it set up ready, but not too sure what ITB's to get, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it
http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Products/Product.asp?departmentid=298&id=105813

This is my brother's fault as every time I see him he keeps asking when am I getting it done. He had ITB's in his old 106 and that was prety epic.

Mate your crazy. Just go CT fully forged turbo conversion. Far more power, freshly built block and probably save you 500 to a grand.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
ive had both and i'd go bodies, infact, thats what ill be doing at some point with my latest clio

Whys that mate? Just personal preference or is there a reason?

I had a certain someones ITBd clip after them and I would love another set of bodies but due to the power/money ratio I'm looking at boost. Doing some looking into it at the moment byt I may still swing for the bodies if the boost isn't all its hyped up to be?

The turbo is with out a doubt faster i just prefer the power delivery of the itb's, ive had an engine dynamics low boost ph1 and a mk1 with both low boost and high boost, i just prefer the itb's.