ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on the Samsung UE40F6500

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Bit of a price difference between the 6500 and 8000 series though.

Any recommendations for a 40" up to £600

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Nice, I need 2 of them, wonder if I'll be able to get a deal out of John Lewis or Richer-sounds.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
42" is to big for the space I have for the TV in the bedroom.

Just noticed price has dropped by £50 for the 6500 at Richer Sounds

Edit: has a John Lewis as well :)

Its a good tv mate but its an old model now. 8000series is far better. (if you want a samsung)

The current 8000 series is good. Decent blacks for LCD, and hugely improved backlight uniformity over previous generations. However, the viewing angles are comedy. Really, REALLY bad. Moving your head just a foot off centre results in blacks turning into a nasty silver. Really not a very suitable TV for a family. There is only one sweet spot for viewing, and it's very small. Dead centre they look great, but move over one sofa cushion and it starts falling apart.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The current 8000 series is good. Decent blacks for LCD, and hugely improved backlight uniformity over previous generations. However, the viewing angles are comedy. Really, REALLY bad. Moving your head just a foot off centre results in blacks turning into a nasty silver. Really not a very suitable TV for a family. There is only one sweet spot for viewing, and it's very small. Dead centre they look great, but move over one sofa cushion and it starts falling apart.

Don't get that problem with mine (6670), viewing angle is huge and the blacks stay black. Maybe it's something about the 8000 series?

Do you need 3D and voice?

I didn't so bought this (well the 42" version) about 6 months ago - http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40f5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-40-with-freeview-hd/p587837

I've been very impressed, the smart features are excellent, great picture quality and looks good too imo.

I use the voice control with mine, the tv controller has a touchpad and controls Sky but has no pause, FFWD, RWD, play etc. so I use the voice control for that.

3D I haven't tried yet, even in the cinema most films don't need to be 3D, one of the best I thought was Avatar as it gave it a much grander scale. I'm going to have a go of it with some of my compatible PS3 games to see how they look.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

You're welcome to make the drive up here to see for yourself if you like :)

I didn't say it was better did I, obviously the 8000 series is far better and I've seen that for myself. I'd love an 8000 series. The way the LEDs in the TVs work will be slightly different (edge or back lit, dimming technology etc.) and that might be why the blacks at an angle differ.

Leon Cupra 300
The F series are all the current models..

it's just that the 8000's are nearer the top of the range, the 6000's more middling.

ive got a 46F6740 it's a brilliant set.

I'm buying something similar at the weekend (I think it's the 6400 series though) but in man size. £649 for 46" or another £100 to go to 50". I'm in two minds. I have no idea on the difference from 6400 to 6500 - impress me?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
You're welcome to make the drive up here to see for yourself if you like :)

I didn't say it was better did I, obviously the 8000 series is far better and I've seen that for myself. I'd love an 8000 series. The way the LEDs in the TVs work will be slightly different (edge or back lit, dimming technology etc.) and that might be why the blacks at an angle differ.

No, the LOL was at the fact you said maybe it's just the 8000 series when it clearly was just the 8000 series we were talking about!

Yeah I thought I made it clear I was talking about the 8000. Owned one for a few weeks and returned it. As good as it was at nearly everything, it just didn't cut the mustard in a home theatre environment.

It's only an opinion though. Clearly not everyone is sensitive to such things.

Leon Cupra 300
I'm buying something similar at the weekend (I think it's the 6400 series though) but in man size. £649 for 46" or another £100 to go to 50". I'm in two minds. I have no idea on the difference from 6400 to 6500 - impress me?

'Apparently' somebody else makes the 50" panels, whereas Samsung make the others.

'Apparently' somebody else makes the 50" panels, whereas Samsung make the others.

That's interesting.

I'm probably not as anal about televisions as I should be. I have had a Samsung LCD for about 5 years now and decided to stick with the brand. I personally like the aesthetics of them, stand and surround wise compared to others such as LG. It's not for home cinema use.

To be honest my biggest concern is sound quality. I've a surround sound setup, but I don't really want to have to use that to settle down infront of Eastenders if the 'on board' speakers are truly tripe. If they are good enough for general viewing I am happy. Film wise I will use the surround sound anyway. I'm fairly easily pleased.

I should just buy the 46", but the wife suggests we should just buy a 50 as we hope to have it for about 5 years and don't want to regret going that little bit bigger. Typical.

Leon Cupra 300
I'd do your own research, I say apparently as I read it from someone on av forums.

i had a 50 6500 that was returned for being faulty. Replaced with a 6740 46.. This is a better screen, and tbh for our modest room, a better size.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Picked up the 40' 6500 today, picture is great, blacks are sharp and deep and YouTube HD videos are awesome.

Busy playing with all the features

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
My parent just bought this TV today. Is it a good 'un?

Yeah. I'm not really into TVs though as I don't use them much. So all I was really interested in was something that gave a half decent picture. Seems to fit the bill.

I went to buy a 46" 6400 last night but saw that £100 more got the 6670 which looks much better with a 600hz processing rate vs just 200hz on the 6400. Only issue is a 4/5 week bloody wait for it :(