ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This Months PGTI Willy vs V6 vs T2

The Jinx

Good article. Whose are the Willy and V6?

Just out of interest it says that the Willy was fitted with even more flared arches than the 16v. Is this true or just mis-informed b****cks?

Every bit of bodywork is the same between 16v and Williams, apart from:

The Williams has a colour coded spoiler and Williams badges.. and I *think* the Williams 3 Spoiler is slightly bigger.

The Willy 1,2 and 3 rear lip spolier is bigger and colour-coded. Otherwise no body differences, apart from no sunroof (not 3), wider tracks and different wheels.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

The willy was Roamers and the v6 was specialK and sluggers

There are loads of differences between 16v and Williams.. just, some things are so minor you forget, hehe.

Bodywork, tho, isnt one of them!

They are. Willy 1 wing mirrors are the same as the 1.8 16v. Willy 2 & 3 mirrors are larger as they house the electric motors. Willy 1s had manual mirrors. Go check...

Yea..

Willy 1 mirrors are the same as a Phase1 16v.. (But they are manual)

Willy 2 and 3 mirrors are the same as a Phase2 16v.. (Electric).

Willy1s are Mk1 Phase1, Willy2/3 are Mk1 Phase2s..

Shame they didnt keep the mirrors as the phase 1, and just develop a smaller electric motor :eek:(

So what was the outcome? Havent had a chance to buy PGTI yet!

Phase1 16Vs all had electric mirrors, but the Williams 1 didnt (cost/weight).

Heres a quick guide for you:

Williams: The original homologation special, 400 RHD cars, numbered individually and made in late 1993 (some LHD cars were numbered under 400, so some RHD cars are numbered into the early 400s). Basically, Renaultsport took advantage of FIA Rallying rules that allowed engine capacity of up to 2.0 litres when a car was homologated (at the time, they were using the 1764cc Clio 16V as the homologation car). In order to do this, they had to make 2500 road-going 2.0 Clio examples. The car was named the Williams to celebrate the Nigel Mansel/Williams/Renault F1 victories, although it was basically untouched by Williams F1 Engineering Ltd. Nevertheless, Frank Williams is among the Clio Williams more famous owners.

The original edition was based on the Phase1 Clio 16V, with the various modifications basically concentrated on making the best hot hatch of the day an even more fitting home for the new Group A/N rallying 2.0 F7R engine. The Willy also wore that unmistakable trademark combination of 449 Sports Blue bodywork and gold/silver rimmed Speeline wheels, with wider tracks filling the 16Vs already pumped-up arches and sporting a larger rear lip spoiler. The suspension and transmission were very heavily revised, with the interior getting attention too.

The distinguishing features over the Williams 2 and 3 are the Phase1 exterior/interior trim ("retro" would be kind), lack of sunroof/electric mirrors/ABS/basic sound system. None of the three editions have any mechanical differences worth mentioning.

See here: http://williamsteam.free.fr/videos/Essai.mpghttp://williamsteam.free.fr/videos/Essai.mpg

Williams 2: Such was the public and press reception for the original Williams (see http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asp), that Renault produced a second batch of Willies in 1994: much to the anger of the original Williams owners. Still, with numbers of RHD cars at less than 400, these are again very rare. These were also Phase2 cars, which in line with the general Clio range are smoother-looking and more soundproofed cars - see elsewhere for more details. The Willy 2 gained some of the refinements of the Clio 16V lost on the original Williams, such as electric mirrors. Still no sunroof or ABS and still 449 Sports Blue in colour.

Williams 3: Renault again gave in to the pressure and produced a final edition in 1995. These cars were imited to approximately 300 RHD examples and were Phase2 models. They are distinguished by their Monaco Blue pearlescent paintwork (shared with the Clio 16V), which is a lighter colour than the 449 Sports Blue. These final editions came with an electric sunroof and with ABS as standard too (I think, or at least a very popular option).

To some extent at least, its the look and your view that decides your favourite: Willy as the original rally homologation, Willy 2 the best of both worlds and Willy 3 as the refined final edition.

172, Tiguan

a VW camper.

Seriously the Williams beat a Mk2 V6?

I knew PGTi was going downhill, but gaud....:confused:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 15 April 2004

Weight?! PMSL. Must shave 0.00001s of the 0-60 time.

T2 is the turbo 2 Maxi kitted 5. Nice.
*edit* I thought you were taking the piss out of my profile, nevermind.

I did hear that renault were going for the purists driving experience, and decided not to have ABS and the like on the original willies, so maybe they decided that electric mirrors were another necessity that wasnt in keeping with what they were trying to achieve at the time? Good job the windows are electric though (until they go wrong)!

Yea.. I would have thought theyd have dropped the leccy windows too.. hehe.

I cant see electric mirrors costing LOADS more/saving much weight, heh.

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 15 April 2004

a VW camper.

Seriously the Williams beat a Mk2 V6?

I knew PGTi was going downhill, but gaud....:confused:
LoL come on you know youd have the williams over the v6 any day ;)

The Jinx

That V6 looks very tasty. But in a couple of years time and with £14k-ish in my pocket Id be hard pushed to decide between that or an old school turbo 2 TBH. Used to have a Corgi one as a kid and it was my fave toy.

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 15 April 2004

That V6 looks very tasty. But in a couple of years time and with £14k-ish in my pocket Id be hard pushed to decide between that or an old school turbo 2 TBH. Used to have a Corgi one as a kid and it was my fave toy.
It is very tasty thanks !!!!! :D