ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This forum and the 172/182 etc

Is it my imagination or are 172/182/197's not as well loved by their owners as most other 'enthusiast' cars are???

The reason I put the question is that I am a petrolhead but a fickle and fairweather one. I have no real allegiance to any one brand (bar a bit of a passion for Italian motors). As a result I have got through nearly 50 cars in my 20 years of driving. The latter half of which has seen me register on forums, like cliosport.net, when I had a Mitsi Evo, Delta 'Grale, Abarth 130TC, Alfa and Audi to name but a few.

On all of those forums, without exception, people seem to be a lot more proud of what they own and trust me, some of the cars I am talking about here are a proper heap of problems! There was always fierce rivalry and people would fight their car's corner to the death and beyond! Here, there seems to be a bit more of a tongue-in-cheek attitude going on than I have come across before. Personally, I think It's actually a very good thing as some other forums can become extremely sycophantic and tedious at the best of times.

I have had my PH1 172 for about 3 months and it has spent most of its time (slight exageration but not actually too far off) in one garage or another having this fixed and having that done. I can live with that, I knew what to expect before I bought one and I do tend to go OTT getting everything fixed when I have a car but - I do have to say that I really do enjoy the car a heck of a lot. OK, it's not that fast, but it's plenty quick enough, handles very well, looks very nice, pretty good MPG and the cockpit is a nice place to be. Although, it's got a bit of a wierd seating position in relation to the gearbox and the pedals but maybe that's just me.;)

All in all a very decent motor and a very decent forum.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i reckon most love there cars i do mine but ill be the first to say it aint the best and there are better cars out there i think most are down to earth on here and will admit the clio isnt the best car in the world but for what it is its a damn good car.
i think most respect other cars other brands ect and its a good thing imo.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
True. Some people dont realise how good these cars are. If manufactures stopped making hot hatches, people would be up in arms lol. It amazes me how people say they are slow etc. A reality check in a 1.2 Clio might help change people minds. I also think the people who do whinge about them dont drive them properly. Ie are stuck in traffic commuting all the while. Mine is for pleasure only as i have a works van, and i FULLY apreciate (sp) how good all RS Clios are. ( had a 172 Cup, 182 and now a 197 :)) Yes there are better cars out there, but not in the same class and price bracket. Point to point down a B road, nothing comes close for smiles per miles :)

To the OP, they're just as well loved as other makes of car, it's just that we're well aware of the problems they have and kid ourselves it's "character" lol

You'll be aware of a similar thing with your italian car tendencies ;) :p

GW Stage 2 R26
ive noticed the exact same this tbh. lots of tongue in cheek atitude towards the cars on here. problem wise i gues ive been luky 2 182s and the vee and no real problems. all been v reliable

LY V6 with Recaros
Both my clios have been very well loved.

Not had the vee long enough to comment really but never had any probs with the 182, was always very reliable and rattle free.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
All my cars get love! :)

Admitedly i drive them to the limits but they always get serviced every 3-4000 miles and so far (touches wood) i've not had any problems.

My old phase-1 172 was faultless in the 18 months i owned it and did 3 track days in it!!

This is a very good forum though ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
haha, I love my 197 but wont argue with other people about it. I think maybe french car owners have a thick skin because I constantly get 'its OK, but its french' :(

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
Ive never thought my clio is a "french piece of crap". I love everything about it. Never had any problems with it either. Id like to have a 197 or vee in the future depending on funding. Its a great little car and if Im having a bad day theres nothing like a b road blast to cheer me up.

True. Some people dont realise how good these cars are. If manufactures stopped making hot hatches, people would be up in arms lol. It amazes me how people say they are slow etc. A reality check in a 1.2 Clio might help change people minds. I also think the people who do whinge about them dont drive them properly. Ie are stuck in traffic commuting all the while. Mine is for pleasure only as i have a works van, and i FULLY apreciate (sp) how good all RS Clios are. ( had a 172 Cup, 182 and now a 197 :)) Yes there are better cars out there, but not in the same class and price bracket. Point to point down a B road, nothing comes close for smiles per miles :)

On the same wavelength as me.

I commute 50 miles a day, depending on my shift I can either have a blast down the back roads, a quick scuttle up the motorway or sit in traffic watching people turning their heads as they pass me!.

The car really suits me and I'll probably stick to the Cup until the Kids come along, then it might live in the garage and come out for me time :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I hear you brother lol. Just had my first positive comment from a random chap at the petrol station before. It made me feel warm inside lol.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Good thread here, Im quite enthusiastic about my car (having been driving for only 4 years, and owned 2 renaults, 1 Honda, 1 Citroen) I really take care of my cars.

If im honest i love it, a car that weighs little over a ton shouldnt go as fast as it does but it does, and it does it well, sure it rattles and squeaks but so what. You couldnt have the same fun in a 30k Audi IMO.

The fact that people look at it and think because it is a Renault they seem to think its an inferior car, i challenge any BMW, Merc and porsche driver to drive a 172/182 and tell me its not fun. Its a cracking car and ill definatley be swapping my 172 for a 182.....

Providing the g/f keeps taking the pill lol

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
I think you have to have a sense of humour to run a french car. It probably costs as much over a year to run as somthing Jap or German that uses a little more petrol etc, due to maintenence costs, but hey, it means you get a deeper knowlege of the car and an understanding of it's character. The reason this forum is so good natured is because anyone without a sense of humour soon tires of the squeaks, rattles, rumbles, breakdowns, flashing lights, idiosyncratic seating positions and chocolate paintwork, and b*ggers off in a howl of V-Tec...

Their loss! I love the fact that clio's are viewed as a bit of an underdog :)

ibiza cupra
i love them all and im proud to say it. i get the p*ss riped out of me somthin silly at work as i work in the car trade but i dont care. the clios are such a great fun car to drive and i think that that is why i love it so much its like clarkson said on top gear you will not get anything else that fast for the amount a rs will cost you. its not always about how fast it can go either, ive had a go with a corvette knowing i never had a cat in hells chance but it was just a bit of fun, then i whooped his ass as he couldnt get his power down on the wet road lol he wasnt pleased that his 40 grand car had been beaten off the lights by a 3 grand hatchback.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
i think it's got some thing to do with the clio is an under dog, but puts up a very good fight to all other cars! so ppl **** off their car so when it excells they are more happy:rasp:

and its french;)

Don't get us wrong part of loving something is to accept it warts and all. Fair enough as others have said, the Sport Clios have had their share of problems but I've had less stress with this car than with previous cars from Ford , Citroen, Rover in a similar price bracket. Pound for pound the Clio has delivered the most smiles and still makes me feel proud everytime I go for a drive. I love the performance, the way it looks and spend far too much time and money on it.

In conclusion, as a 182 owner, I am honest enough to admit that there are better cars out there but for what I want and need, the Clio ticks all my boxes. If I'm on this site I also don't have to shout about the car to convince anyone else how good it is as all the people on this site know the car's capabilities.

Anyway it's only Cup owners who go on about their giant killing feats in the twisties.:rasp:

Elise 111R
In conclusion, as a 182 owner, I am honest enough to admit that there are better cars out there but for what I want and need, the Clio ticks all my boxes. If I'm on this site I also don't have to shout about the car to convince anyone else how good it is as all the people on this site know the car's capabilities.

I would agree with above and also like to say for many of us who are I would say 19 - 24 the 182 or 197 is a stepping stone to our first proper sports car. There seems to be a lot of us who buy one of these and go onto Elise's, boxters etc. I'm looking to do and been looking for the past 5 months.

I think the problem for many and myself included is realising the true capability of the car. Today I fitted a roof rack to my car now not only can i do the work run, shopping run, Blast out in the country side i can also now go to wales (150 miles away from me) in comfort, speed and with all my bike gear strapped to my car.

Do i love my car.... YES .... do i feel the prat and the kid in the (unfortunately senior) office for having a french hot hatch GOD YES.... but when you contemplate the more grown up options there's always something telling you the 182 is all you'll ever need. :D

Clio 172 mk2
The 172/182 is so everyday and even practical that it doesn't really warrant the pampering etc that a lot of other cars do. tbH that's one of the things I like the most about it

On all of those forums, without exception, people seem to be a lot more proud of what they own and trust me, some of the cars I am talking about here are a proper heap of problems! There was always fierce rivalry and people would fight their car's corner to the death and beyond!

Dont mention the CTR :rasp:

Clio Sports are great because they are cheap and tacky, and thats why they work so well. They take all the abuse you can throw at them and still make you smile! A true versatile performance vehicle, it can do a little bit of everything :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hardly tacky...... very subtle. Think more VXR for tacky, stick on spoilers slashes etc ;)

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
My car is like me...does what it's told ,doesn't complain
and always makes yer smile .

I had a friend who was a huge Renault fan, 5turbos, willy's and the like. I guess it was when he got his ph2 172 brand new that I got my interest in them. I like the subtle but sporty look and the fact you can embarass a lot of BMW drivers who think you're in "just a little clio".

It's got more character than my old Astra SRi and girls love it, which is always a plus! ;)

It makes going to work more enjoyable too, only downside is the journey is over too quickly now.

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
I joined this forum well before I got my Clio and was amazed even then at how many people on this forum 'under rate' the 1*2.

People are always saying, there are faster cars or better cars etc etc and it may be true, but for how much more money? And are you getting something significantly quicker or more fun to drive for the extra cash?

I doubt it.

You only have to pick up an old road test when the cars were new to hear how the press raved about them.

Iceburg 172FF
Cant speak for everybody but I love my 172 to bits, looks great, sounds great and is quick as fook! Never fails to put a smile even when driving to the shops and back :D

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I think its fairly crucial for people to actually use their cars as often as they can in an envoironment that highlights the car's capabilities.

Using my Cup as a commute tool can be a real pain as all it leaves me doing is dwelling on all its faults as it crashes, knocks and rattles over the shockingly poor roads we have to endure in and around towns and cities.

But on a recent trip to the Isle Of Man, all of those negatives washed away whilst absolutely nailing the car around the TT course.
In those moments the car made complete and utter sense, and all i wanted to do was drive those roads over and over again.
Chunky (Nick) will know what im talking about.

So i've decided im going to get a bike to ride to work on....and let the Cup make sense more often on the types of road where it belongs.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I love my Cup, and couldn't give a flying f*** what anyone else thinks of it. It never gets cleaned, but it is maintained, religiously, above and beyone what Renault recommend by the finest in the business.

Paintings are for looking at, cars are for driving.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I love my Cup, and couldn't give a flying f*** what anyone else thinks of it. It never gets cleaned, but it is maintained, religiously, above and beyone what Renault recommend by the finest in the business.

Paintings are for looking at, cars are for driving.

Amen to that. :approve:

Hyundai i40
i love my clio would change it for the world (well maybe for my old 106 gti in standard condition!).....cant fault it at all

182/Bora V5/S1 RS Turbo
good thread!. i too have had lots of cars.mainly VWs. I bought the clio just cos i love the twin exhausts. ive spent a lot on it so far-which ive never had to do with my VWs but i still love driving it....and yes the driving position can only be described as "ODD". I whinge like mad about the car but deep down its good!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I love my clio to bits, and I'm always thinking of the next mod or improvement, thats why i'm a member on here because we are all a bunch of clio petrol heads.

I have had 5 RS clio's and have never been let down by one of them except once when the battery went on my current ph1 clio. Apart from that my ownership experience of clio's has been very good.

dont understand the comments about the 'cockoit is a nice place to be'?? its about the worse c**k pit i've been in bar the seats lol.

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
I have a Clio 182 with Cup packs as my everyday car. I've had a 172 Cup as well which was an everyday + track car.

Personally, I enjoy the practical and quick nature of the cars, but I can see why people don't pamper them. At the end of the day they are a shopping car with a big engine in them and a few running gear tweaks. That is not meant in a demeaning way, but people don't really aspire to owning Clio's as a brand or icon. I have a TVR as my other car which is an event everytime I even start it. I've had Lotus', Porsche's and other sports cars also. They are not great everyday cars, but you aspire to own them, meaning they are often much more cherished by owners.

I take care of my 182 fastidiously, but at the end of the day, I see it as fairly disposable and not really special. For me, Civic Type R's, Mini Cooper S's etc all fit in the same mould.

I'm glad the manufacturers make them as they are all great cars enjoyed by many and enrich the whole performance motoring scene. I have great fun in mine every day, but the above would be my explanation for why a lot are just used and sold on without being fantastically cared for or cherished.

Clio 1.2 Billabong
tbh i love my clio. ive only been driving since thursday so the novelty there hasnt worn off yet but everyone whos driven my car comments on how nice it is to drive, its even got my mum wanting one.

its funny to see how surprised people get when they see how nippy the 1.2 is as well. kept up with my mates 1.4 ibiza sport no problem last night