ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking about going for a mk1 172

EP3 Civic Type R

hi there.... im thinking about trading in my 150bhp 106gti for a mk1 172... ive seen them for around the 6-7k area and I really like the look of them in silver... id leave it standard as im after a standard car now.... cant be doing with exhausts and malarky !! Just wondering if someone can fill me in with regards to 0-60 0-100 and what sort of standing quaters they do... do they all come with climate control? trip computer?

thanks in advance !! any pics would be nice too !

mk1 has aircon mk2 climate

0-100 about 16.5 seconds

1/4 about 15.2 ish

all have trip

mk1 sh*tty headlights and naff dash

mk2 nice dash and xenons

golf

Dogmaul! The head lights are not sh*tty if you change the bulbs mate! Their better than my WRX bug eye morretts were! Dash is not that bad! Hell of alot better than a 106/206 dash! Would you not say?

EP3 Civic Type R

Ive never been in a 172.... I think I might have to go drive one... ive had a go of a CTR though, and that was fairly impressive, the 106 dash aint that bad... better than the paxo one imo

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Coming from me who drives a fast tin can... whats the difference between aircon & climate anyhoo?

mk1s are nice. Though I love my vts, I wish Id have bought a mk1 172.

EP3 Civic Type R

HAHA, I dont know... I love my 106... it can hold its own with a 172... capable of 15 dead up the 1/4 .. but im after something that does not rattle and shake... toys etc ...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

something that doesnt rattle and your buying a clio!?! are you mad?!

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 13 November 2004

Coming from me who drives a fast tin can... whats the difference between aircon & climate anyhoo?
Aircon is able to give air below air temp but you adjust it yourself.

Climate adjust itself you just tell it a temp.

hi 106gti, i was in the same boat is you but sold my gti last wednesday, should be getting my 182 next friday, cant wait. I think off the line to about 60 the 106 and 172/182 are about even but after that the gap widens, also i expect the clio to have loads more torque which is where the 106/saxo fails miserably. Im sure youll make the right choice is you take one out for a test drive.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Ive owned both and Im of the opinion that the MK1s are better built than the MK2s dont know why but my MK1 doesnt rattle, squeak or have any problems...love it to bits and I had it RRs and it was only a smidge off 172bhp at the flywheel! :D

I have got a mk1 & a evo 5

The clio is just as much fun to drive & it can give a bug eyed scooby a good run for its money.

It is more torquey than the civic R

Arctic Blue 182

I used to have a Mk1. felt faster than my 182, not quite as good handling though. Still a great car nonetheless. Better than your 106.

172beast

Love my mk1 172 an all, lot rawer then the newer 172s, quicker an all, not to start a argument either but I pulled from a 182 a few weeks back, 1/2 car lengths to 120 ish, but Ive got a panel filter and exhaust, qtr miled mine at 15.07 as standard, should be late 14s now. Awesome fun to drive, totally awesome fun, done 1 trackday in mine and loved it, got another at Donnignton this weekend. Build qualitys shiet, it doesnt rattle or owt, but at 30,000 mile it needed a new box and Ive just had 1 new wheel bearing, apart from that its fine. Bought it on 26,000 for 7k 7 months back, its now on 41,000 mile so been around a bit.

Brakes are awesome and I mean awesome, very very fade resistent even on track, handlings good but not on par with a Cup or 182 Cup imo, both left me on corners round track.

Nice interiors, comfy seats, aircon, leather, just quality cars really. Plus there the only ones to come with the vastly superior coloured Renaultsport logo hehe

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/172_New_Pics/28-03-04f.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/172_New_Pics/Pics of mine

CTR EK9 turbo

I used to own a mk.1 172 - loved it to bit. Know what you mean about gearboxes though! Managed 15.1 first time at santapod standard car with loads of crap in it, 3/4 tank fuel and a dodgy bogged start.

Loved the car, didnt love the fact i had to use the warranty to the full. (mainly for gearboxes!)

Its not all about 0-60 accel either or quarter mile, its in-gear and overtaking capabilities were great and above 100 still seemed to pull (airport permitting) well.

172beast

Well mine was out of warrenty so I had to fork the bill, came to a grand in total, included new clutch as well, gearbox is a reconned unit, 1 year unlimited mileage warrenty, clutch 2 year unlimited mileage so not got a lot to worry about with that now. Can rag the fook out it and get it replaced for free hehe

Still love it though, theres quicker cars for the money, dont get me wrong, but for sheer fun to drive its fecking awesome, dont get it if you want summit easy to drive quick tho. Found mine difficult to get the best out of, itll rip your arm off if you aint careful when booting it down country lanes and it oversteers easily and quite progressivly I found on the original Pilot Sports. If youve never been in a properly driven one, get out in one and youll buy one. First time i drove mine I shat it, coming from a 1.4 Clio I would though hehe

Just fanally got mine right, it has a grp n ecu, Custom made de cat exhaust.

It feels so responsive & torquey its weird, dont know why it pulls like a train from 2000 rpm. the only problem is wheel spin through 1st & second in the dry.

on damp road it will try to break traction in 3rd.

It feels like it has a turbo, i am totally mistified because it has never ran like this before, Just had it RR & it gave 157 bhp at the wheels.

was looking to trade ity for a 182 but i think i will hold off while it is running this well.

golf

^^^^ As above! With regards to 172beast comment on the handling. I know what you mean bud but a think a set of slightly stiffer springs would sort that out?

172beast

Aye quite possibly, stiffer springs, coilovers owt would sort it out no problem. I do a lot of miles though so happy with how comfy it is, rides very good considering how well it handles as standard.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Get a Mk1 172 exclusive ;) then you will have the best colour and a full leather interior to!

clio 172 cup

Ive got a mk1 172 in silver, had it 2 weeks now and i love it, id say definetly go for it. I had an 03 reg Punto HGT, before that an 02 reg VTS and id say the clios the best car out them all.