ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think I ruined it...

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Decided to spray the mark on my bumper where I accidently scraped my house - Don't ask me how!!

Don't think it has turned out as I had hoped... You can see the outline of the paint where I masked the area off and after 3 -4 coats of lacquer, it still isn't shiny!!!

Think I should leave bodywork and paiting to the pro's!! Gutted now :(

80MPG BEEZA
sand it down mask a bigger area but dont spray to the edge you blend it out like you would with a paint brush! when using laquer wait till it looks wet and quickly move to avoided running leave to dry a day then u have to really buff it up hope it helps mate :)

Try to get the blend to an edge or a corner too. I couldn't get the knack of the lacquer either on my 16v ( this was only the grill too!!). Do the best you can and save up for the pro's to have a go!

Mini Cooper S sport
Oh dear, we've all been there :(

It started off as a small scrape on my 172's bumper, then every time I sanded it down and tried to make a better job of the laquer, it got worse so I thought 'f**k it' and bought a 182 instead.

If you'd rather take a less drastic measure, a pro could sort it out for you no problem.

Elvis - Biarritz 1.2
Racing Blue said:
It started off as a small scrape on my 172's bumper, then every time I sanded it down and tried to make a better job of the laquer, it got worse so I thought 'f**k it' and bought a 182 instead.

Hahahahahahaha :D

You could always try colouring the whole bumper a new colour.

M

mij29

Try chipsaway mate, they have just had a look at a scratch on mine, said they could do it for £90 +vat, sounds a lot but it's better than making a balls up of it yourself. they will come out and do it at your home or work. They are in the yellow pages.
Mines booked in for the 27th of july so i can't tell you how good they are but they do have good reports. Good luck to getting it sorted.

yeah that shiney effect is an ar5e to try and get i did it on my first RT didnt do a bad job but it still wasn't very glossy!

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Thanks guys - May just give Chipsaway a call - how do they quote? Do they need to see it first?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Tbh mate you've probably made his job harder , rather than just a touch up he's looking at rectification work so it " might " cost you a little bit more .

I had a scrape on my iceberg silver 172 bumper and was quoted £70 , apparently silvers a bit of a b*stard to match .

Give em a bell , he'll come and look and give you a price . Your under no obligation to give him the job so you've got nothing to lose letting him have a look .

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Chipsaway man has been and quoted me £80 - getting it done on Thurs, time to take the tins back for a refund I think ;)

Chocolate Bar™
chips away never charge that much to rectify as they can remove your paint without damaging the two pack paint (of your car underneath)

got to give it to you for having the balls to have a go tho :)

M

mij29

let us know what kind of job he made of it. i've got to wait till thursday after for mine,
wanted to get it sorted quicker than that really.
keep going out to look at the scratch, pisses me off the more i look at it!
just lookin at your picture have you got 182 cup wheels on there? if so do they fit straight on? WANT SOME!!!

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
No mate, they are Wolfrace Zen's in Shadow Chrome or something... 17's but the standard 182 "cup" anthracite wheels fit all RS's - I had them priced at the dealer but they wanted £800... pick em up from here or Ebay for 300-500ish

Attachments

• 02 zen_shadow_chrome.jpg
    02 zen_shadow_chrome.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 44
  1.6 focus zetec....
Easy to keep the shadow chrome clean??? Sorry its off topic but im having a set of wolfrace is shadow chrome in a few weeks...

Kiza

Monaco Blue Mk2
ooo, nezza, your in Chester yeah? Which chipsaway guy are you using? Need some work doing on 2 cars. Could you let me know, name, location, number and that, and what you think of their work? Thanks.

Does anyone know what they like on dents?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
kiza1986 said:
Easy to keep the shadow chrome clean??? Sorry its off topic but im having a set of wolfrace is shadow chrome in a few weeks...

Kiza

Bit of a pain - I use Auto Glym Wheel cleaner - but takes a little more effort if I have left them get really mucky!!

They do look amazing when they're clean though :)

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Blue4Ever said:
ooo, nezza, your in Chester yeah? Which chipsaway guy are you using? Need some work doing on 2 cars. Could you let me know, name, location, number and that, and what you think of their work? Thanks.

Does anyone know what they like on dents?

Well I work in Wrexham so its being done there - Guy's name is Steve Williams, Number: 07841 238140

I'll let you know how good a job he makes on Thursday! :)

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
No actually - I asked the guys that fitted them and they said to use standard polish. but have never tried it!! Might do before the winter...

Clio Mk1 1.4RT
MRBILLYUK said:
apparently silvers a bit of a b*stard to match.

Yeah it is, I've just had some custom paintwork done and I wanted another part done the same silver and the painter said "no way buddy" "there are too many different silvers, couldn't possibly match it unless I redone it all again in one silver." So I'm now going for black and red.

Monaco Blue Mk2
nezza said:
Well I work in Wrexham so its being done there - Guy's name is Steve Williams, Number: 07841 238140

I'll let you know how good a job he makes on Thursday! :)

Thanks mate, where abouts is he based?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Chipsaway guy is just sorting my bumper out now... so far looks great - Will let you know the conclusion when he has finished!!

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Absolutely chuffed! He's made a really good job of it, would never know it was ever there!!

I can recommend this guy to anyone in the Chester/Wrexham area - He's now doing another 4 cars from my work!! I should get commision!!!

M

mij29

nezza said:
Absolutely chuffed! He's made a really good job of it, would never know it was ever there!!

I can recommend this guy to anyone in the Chester/Wrexham area - He's now doing another 4 cars from my work!! I should get commision!!!

Thanx for letting us know mate. My mans comin this thursday, hope makes as good a job on mine.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hhhmmm i need i few jobs doin on mine too, does he do dent removal?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
gt_gaz said:
hhhmmm i need i few jobs doin on mine too, does he do dent removal?

No, but he knows a man who does... Gave me a business card for someone I work with...