ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thermostat not opening

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
on my f4r engine the thermostat is not opening when its the car is running, but i just tested it in boiling water and it will open.

does anyone know why it wont open when on the car but will when test off the car.

also i had bled the system so to make sure there are no air locks

ITB'd MK1
prob just means it's working properly and not opening too early. they take AGES to open when they're new, if it opens too soon, it's stopping the engine getting up to temperature

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i might have bottled it a bit early then but the valver gage was getting mighty high was near to where the fan used to kick in.
do you recon now ive "broke it in" by boiling it should now open easier.

ITB'd MK1
stock gauges aren't the most accurate way to see what's happening really. did you wire in the OBD port with the engine loom?

I've had a new stat not open for over 20 minutes of idling before, remember that it will warm up faster when you're driving with some load on the engine

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
i haven't fully yet got to do from connector block to odb port.

it was idleing for about 20 mins when i chickened out.

is it worth refitting and holding out till it open or till temp reaches top of the gauge