ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'What MPG Do You Get?' Thread

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I would post up in here for once, I've just done a 1781 mile roadtrip 3 up with luggage and tools, 3 laps on the ring and 1 session on the GP track and the trip computer recorded an average of 38.1mpg over the whole trip...astonishing.

I am going to take note of the gallons used and work it out manually but I think that is excellent even if I'm in the ballpark.

I've got a 1.2 as in my picture used to get 45mpg

Since fitting my K&n air filter and 3" exhuast I can't seem to get below 47mpg even after putting my foot down or just pointlessly revving it

Averaged 41mpg on the trip up to Falkirk from West yorkshire sitting at 75mph all the way on the motorway

1.2 16V here, filled up with super unleaded, have a bigger exhaust and K&N air filter, reset the trip computer, after 100 miles it was telling me 51.1 mpg. On a run

Through town about 47

clio172cup.civic mb4
52 172 cup no abs/ac version and mine gets on the m1 50 mph 5th gear and I only get about 19/20 mph if I'm lucky on the computer display anyway. Around 14-16 with exuberant driving. If it's right that's laughably crap on go juice but it's so much fun I don't care 1 bit it's still better than my old 5.3 v12 xjs at 11 mpg and 6-8 with a lead foot.

330i. E30 Touring.
52 172 cup no abs/ac version and mine gets on the m1 50 mph 5th gear and I only get about 19/20 mph if I'm lucky on the computer display anyway. Around 14-16 with exuberant driving. If it's right that's laughably crap on go juice but it's so much fun I don't care 1 bit it's still better than my old 5.3 v12 xjs at 11 mpg and 6-8 with a lead foot.

That's broken.

Should be doing 40-50mpg at 50mph tbh. 35mpg min around down.

clio172cup.civic mb4
It sounds fine, feels fine on the road, no pops or bangs, no oil leaks, no codes showing at all it needs a service on the brakes doesn't loose power in any gear doesn't cut out at low revs no knocking from engine so as far as I'm concerned for the moment I'm chalking it up to the electronic gremlins that often plague french older cars.for now but when I do have the cash I'm planning on taking it to rs in leeds for service and health check so I'll know for definite then. But I do agree there is a problem somewhere as mpg is woeful for a 2ltr shoe.

clio172cup.civic mb4
I did change the shite aftermarket exhaust that popped and banged like a tractor sounded crap! for stock when I brought it so could be. I'm saving for a high flow cat and I'll change the lambda pre and post when I do that. Nothing wrong with the cat or with intake or downpipe as fa as i can tell anyhow. Like I said as soon as funds are there its service, new cat, new lambdas plus Im going to have them fit new clutch, possible lightweight fly depending on funds and results of checkup.

clio172cup.civic mb4
So is a belt change!. but I will have enough for all to be done when I get paid the clutch and fly are an afterthought if all is well.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Recently picked up a 172 so after a few weeks of driving semi-sensibly :)smile:). My drive is country roads to and from work, a typical day it will do roughly 38-41 mpg. However over the space of a week due to traffic and spontaneous driving (It's tough not to) it lowers the MPG to 35.
Getting around 300 miles in a tank though.

Listerine & Poledo
Recently picked up a 172 so after a few weeks of driving semi-sensibly :)smile:). My drive is country roads to and from work, a typical day it will do roughly 38-41 mpg. However over the space of a week due to traffic and spontaneous driving (It's tough not to) it lowers the MPG to 35.
Getting around 300 miles in a tank though.

Thats abourt right.
On a very long drive on motorways, you might just get 45 to the gallon, by the computer.

PH2 172
mpg mpg.jpg mpg miles travelled.jpg mpg gallons used.jpg mpg mph.jpg
Driven as an exercise a couple of weeks ago.
Trip computer reset in the Shell station in Epping & driven home to Luton using M25/M1.
Included some driving in some town traffic,but not exceeding 50mph on the motorways.
Not typical driving I know,but still very good for a Ph2 172 with 103k miles.

mk1 Octavia VRS
55mpg!

I've seen about 47 on the computer on a motorway run, keeping below 70. Normally around 40 on the road and around 20 on track.

PH2 172
55mpg!

I've seen about 47 on the computer on a motorway run, keeping below 70. Normally around 40 on the road and around 20 on track.

Does anyone know the official mpg figures?
I drove 10 miles at 56 mph the next day and got 54.5 mpg.
Got down to 16mpg at the Renaultsport evening at Beford in June though!

Clio 172, Abarth 500
I think official MPG figures are always going to be off, because you will never be to replicate the same drive twice. Your MPG will change based on many factors, temperature, cargo, how fat you are, avg. speed etc etc.
The reason it is so good on a motorway is because your not constantly accelerating to bring the car back up to speed, ie not using as much fuel! If you were to do 90 on the motorway you would be using more fuel to stay at a higher speed and your MPG would be lower..

This is why threads like this are so good because you can read how people drive vs what MPG figure they get, then compare (or sometimes decide to buy a car!).

Listerine & Poledo
fill tank, note actual amount going into FULL tank
reset trip counter

when next fuelling to FULL, note actual miles covered.

apply maths.
Actual MPG

That said, your speedo probably reads 10% over, at least, so whatever your maths said, knock off 10% your final MPG figures

mk1 Octavia VRS
Does anyone know the official mpg figures?
I drove 10 miles at 56 mph the next day and got 54.5 mpg.
Got down to 16mpg at the Renaultsport evening at Beford in June though!
Autotrader says this for the 182:
Urban - 25
Extra Urban - 45.6
Average - 34.9

From my experience and what I've seen on this thread those figures seem quite fair.

PH2 172
Autotrader says this for the 182:
Urban - 25
Extra Urban - 45.6
Average - 34.9

From my experience and what I've seen on this thread those figures seem quite fair.

Thanks,to be honest,I`m pushed to get those figures day to day,though I don`t think the official figures include any cold starts,or taking a hour+ to get from the M3 to M40 on the M25 during the rush hour.(Think I might start a thread on that).Also the extra urban test is only 4.3 miles long?
If I get a clear run to one of the fairly regular North Weald meets (42 miles )& stick to 70,I do now get 44mpg on the run.
This seems to have improved from 39mpg 10k miles ago last year.I did replace the air filter & got the belts done,but neither resulted in an instant improvement.
The car has been run on Momentum 99 Ron or a budget no brand 97 Ron from a 200 yds down the road petrol station,with odd tank of V power.
I`m not sure if the fuel has cleaned up the engine,or a couple of track outings have done that.

Renault Clio 1.5Dci
54 plate 1.5DCI 64mpg average 59 if driving it hard and about 70+ on duel carriage. Getting about 800 miles from a full tank :)

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I have done a 1000 miles in the last week and it says average is 34 I seen it as high as 40.7 mpg

Ph2 172

Impreza & Clio 172
This is great used the 172 everyday this week for work filled up with £39 of shells finest and done so far this week 209 miles and still have just under 3/4 of a tank left.

This Clio lark for daily use I going to save me mega bucks compared to my Impreza.

BG Clio 182
Getting around 33 on B roads on the way to work, lots of varying speeds due to slow lorries and otherwise slow, inconsistent drivers in front of me. 10 miles each way.

Skoda Fabia VRS
40 miles at 65 on the M4 (averaged)
15 miles with combined speeds between 30-60mph
3 People in the car

I averaged 37MPG over a total of around 55-60 miles

Clio 182 Cup
In my 182 I get about 28 to 29 mpg for my short 3 mile commute to work and general running around (without trying to drive economically) and then and about 38 to 42mpg on motorway trips doing 70 to 80mph keeping it steady.