ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The ultimate road spec 172/182

Clio Cup 172
Lots of people have built amazing track cars, but I am interested in the ultimate spec for a 172/182 that will spend all its time on the road. So no roll cage, or ultra stiff suspension. But to be used in anger on B roads and driven in town. I am not interested in how it looks, in fact closer to standard looks the better.

I currently have a 172 Cup with
Recaros
OMP Steering wheel
Quick shift (thanks Cro!)
a Radio/Cassette player ;)
and have some Conti Sport Contact 3s on way.

Future mods would prob be some Proline springs...

Lets hear your suggestions?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine fits that bill nicely IMO.

Mk2 172 (lots of creature comforts)
H&R coilovers (handle well but not too stiff)
4 pot brakes
Recaro Trendline seats.
K-tec stealth.

So comfy, easy to drive and still practical!

That's all going to change now, as I'm planing on changing nearly everything ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Tunst, i don't entirely disagree. I owned a Trophy a few years ago, i guess it is the ultimate standard car.

The 1*2 is an all round great car as standard imo.

But if i had the cash mine would be pretty much like Fletchers

Standard seats would have to go, as would the steering wheel. Then get some good stoppers and sticky tyres and you're away.
Oh, and a CG lock.

The above would still apply to the Trophy, IMO.

260% JCW
^True, dont think the Trendlines are any good IMO and the steering wheel is from a London bus. The Recaro seats in the 197/200 are miles better.

Clio 197 RB
Not really worth spending money on engine Mods on these cars really.
As what has been said before, better off spending the money on brakes and tyres!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'd maybe go for a remap to improve and smoothen out power delivery with an exhaust system, de-cat and matched inlets. Nothing major but enough to see a change in the way the car drives.

I'd improve the suspension, billstein dampers with eibach springs or stiffer. You may want to go with fully adjustable coilovers, then you can taylor the ride for your needs and set the car up for the type of driving you do.

As for brakes, 4 pots would be ideal but I'm sure a set of Pagid Blue pads would do the trick on the standard brakes with some braided lines all round and a brake fluid change.

I'd upgrade the engine mounts as well while you're on, the standard ones fail enough and I've heard the drive is a lot better with less 'flex'

Other than the sticky tyres I think that would leave you with a pretty spot on clio, interior if you're fussy maybe go with some fixed back buckets as they won't break the bank, recaro trendlines arent the best for lower support and the newer recaro's found in the 197/200 are much better for that purpose.