ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rob Quantrell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Learnt so much from reading this thread, amazing work!

I’m in Roydon so pretty close to you, would love to pick your brains sometime? I pick up my car this week.

Cheers!

Rob

Learnt so much from reading this thread, amazing work!

I’m in Roydon so pretty close to you, would love to pick your brains sometime? I pick up my car this week.

Cheers!

Rob
Thanks Rob (great name!)

These sites are great for learning stuff aren't they. I think I must be subscribed to about 20 different build threads on here. You can never know enough!

Happy to help if you have any questions. I can't guarantee I'll have all the answers but 2 heads are better than 1. Give me a shout any time.

Not too much to report at the moment although with the pre season test looming mid March I'm going to have to crack on soon. Just snowed under with work at the moment which is not normal for this time of year and I could do without it!

Anyway, a small addition to the weight loss program this week...

IMG_4636.jpg

Standard Cup spoiler 2.35kg. Fibreglass one 770g. Just a question of whether I bite the bullet and change to the fibreglass bootlid too. If time and money were no object there would be no question but I need to prioritise the work to be done before the season starts.

And in other news, despite my test of the spare starter motor proving it fired up without smoke bellowing out of it, after a couple of hours cursing trying to install it the bloody solenoid is fried and spins the starter up the minute you turn the power on. So back to square one and a new one arrived last week. Just need to muster up the motivation to get it fitted.

IMG_4639.jpg

Spoiler is nice addition with or without the FG boot I think.
What do you do for living if you don’t mind me asking?
I have an interior design and refurbishment business with my wife. We do high end interiors and occasionally build houses or renovate old ones.
We designed and built this one which we fiished at the end of the summer. But Kitchens and bathrooms are our bread and butter.

A million miles away from racing Clios!
IMG_3144.jpg

Finally managed to make some progress this weekend. Starting with fitting the new starter motor which I thought should have been plain sailing but after bolting it up I flicked the kill switch to check it and it engaged straight away and started turning the engine over.
After and hour or so of thoroughly checking the cables for any breaks or shorts I decided to have a closer look at the starter motor in situ.

IMG_4728.jpg

Very difficult to see from under the car but I finally spotted that the large connector is touching the stud above it. So some careful work with a cut-off wheel in a dremel sorted it and I finally have a car that starts with ease. It's never been as good as it is now since I rebuilt the engine.

Next was a simple job to knock up a new bracket for the air temp sensor after the old one failed at Silverstone last year.

IMG_4734.jpg

After this and with a car that hadn't started since The Birkett I was able to drive it out and give it a good clean.

IMG_4738.jpg

And now I can start with the improvements..

I've ordered a T7 lightweight heater to replace the standard one and also a new Cartek XR Battery isolator. This looks simple enough to fit with just one wire running to the ECU to kill the engine, the rest being done by cutting the negative.

T7 heater.jpg
T7 bulkhead fitting.jpg
XR-KIT-RED.jpg

So I made a start on relocating the Fire extinguisher external pull to the near side scuttle and this is where I will also mount the external Cartek cut-off button.

IMG_4746.jpg

4mm Ali plate should be strong enough to reinforce the plastic scuttle cover. It was always a bit ropey when the extinguisher pull was mounted on the other side. When you pulled it the plastic cover just unclipped!

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

This will be finished off properly when the Cartek kit arrives.

Next big investment is the D2 Dash...

D2 Dash.jpg

When I remove the dash and heater I will have the unenviable task of picking through the butchered wiring loom to start removing all the unnecessary wiring, fuses and relays.
I'm not an expert at wiring by any means and having inherited the wiring from the previous owner who installed the Emerald ECU it's going to be a voyage of discovery. Starting with removing all of the steering column controls and ignition barrel. My only worry is that I get in too deep to go back and hit a problem that leaves me without a running car on the 22nd March for the pre-season test day.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Photos of my car aren’t deceiving, it looks scruffy and needs some tlc! I’m at Donington the same day, for a first run in the car after installing a new PMS unit, so hopefully I will be ready for the season in Castle Combe Hot Hatch and an occasional run out with the WSSCC. It needs to go well after destroying 2 units last year and only managing 6 racing laps all season! Good luck for the season ahead.

Photos of my car aren’t deceiving, it looks scruffy and needs some tlc! I’m at Donington the same day, for a first run in the car after installing a new PMS unit, so hopefully I will be ready for the season in Castle Combe Hot Hatch and an occasional run out with the WSSCC. It needs to go well after destroying 2 units last year and only managing 6 racing laps all season! Good luck for the season ahead.
Your new engine should be solid. Did you run it in on the dyno or does Nick do that?
I feel your pain re last season. I had one of those a couple of years ago, I think we had 5 race meetings where we didn't get further than qualifying.

Hope it goes well for you.

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
Nick built the unit and I installed it before taking it back down for Sandy Brown to map it. I think we ran about 50 litres of fuel through it before he declared himself satisfied with everything and having arrived at 9am, I left at 5.30pm, so the unit is well run in now and basically just needs fresh oil and filter before the 22nd. The car had so much work done to it over the winter of 2017, it will be interesting to see how it all goes, because other than a very wet qually and 6 laps at Combe, I really haven’t done anything to set it up.