ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The runabout.. Staying standard. Well was.

That was good reading Chip, thanks for that :)

I was at Surrey RR at the beginning of this year and from speaking to Charlie and reading what I've read on here his is the only dyno I'll be using. Seems to give very fair results that aren't covered in BS horsepower numbers!

Im planning on building an engine at the end of next year if funds allow as a bit of fun. So if an RS2 comes up at the right price at the right time I'll more than likely go for that and see what I can make. Like you said earlier in the thread, good fun pushing an engine you don't 'need' as such ;)

Last question for now, promise! Does the stock ECU have enough scope for making changes on say a high comp/RS2/197 cam'd engine or would I need aftermarket?

Sorry Dan, cluttering up the thread :eek:

No worries, It provides nice detail for people to read IMO :)

I'd say the stock ecu would be able to cope with it well enough, Chip and Mikes mapping of the RS2 is epic IMO.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Very interested in setting mine up with 197 cams after seeing your gains, out of interest how much would it cost to fit 197 cams?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
belts were done about 7000 miles ago, but I suppose I would need new belt if fitting cams?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
true, so about £350 for new belt and fitting the cams. Then the cost of the cams and the mapping after?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That was good reading Chip, thanks for that :)

I was at Surrey RR at the beginning of this year and from speaking to Charlie and reading what I've read on here his is the only dyno I'll be using. Seems to give very fair results that aren't covered in BS horsepower numbers!

Im planning on building an engine at the end of next year if funds allow as a bit of fun. So if an RS2 comes up at the right price at the right time I'll more than likely go for that and see what I can make. Like you said earlier in the thread, good fun pushing an engine you don't 'need' as such ;)

Last question for now, promise! Does the stock ECU have enough scope for making changes on say a high comp/RS2/197 cam'd engine or would I need aftermarket?

Sorry Dan, cluttering up the thread :eek:

Will cope fine mate, just avoid 421s or hotter as the intake pulses leave the ecu confused due to the fact it's using Manifold Absolute Pressure as its main load sensor in the fuelling algorithm. You need to swap from this speed vs density setup to speed vs throttle angle for big cams no matter if its on standard inlet or an rs2. 438 I would expect to be ok as they are timed differently but I've not actually tried them on an rs2 personally.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Yes £350 fitting, cams can be had for less than £100. And mapping after.

So about £750 all in, would be nice to get it close to the 200 bhp mark. This is the car's power at the moment -
IMG_9370.jpg

Small update, solid top mounts fitted last night. They are the compbrake ones, which according to here will make my rear wheel fall off and give my mum the flu. TBH I've had compbrake ones on my LCR with no issues of them loosening off, so I'm not that worried.

Old setup:
AA010086-A548-4DE9-82A3-386CD0361231-13112-0000097CB0024C11.jpg

Cleaned, fitted, and ready to go on..
DF8254F7-4D2B-4F33-9862-E08F947D8DFE-13112-0000097CBAC8FABB.jpg

Must admit, the drive home was alot harder than it used to be, and the turn in has certainly improved. Just waiting for my camber bolts to arrive to be able to set it up properly.

Little present for the F4R, mainly so it doesn't go bang when on the rollers.

291203D0-790B-40A1-8213-53B7DA586A0E-4596-00000329F1D0E7FC.jpg

Being fitted this afternoon as we have no work in(onless some parts have arrived for a customers car)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice one, sorry I couldnt chat earlier when you popped round to collect them, despite the dressing gown I was hard at work on some software Im writing!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nice one, sorry I couldnt chat earlier when you popped round to collect them, despite the dressing gown I was hard at work on some software Im writing!

Was it Silk? Were you smoking a Cigar? Were bitches led all over your gaff?

Well, While waiting for a customer to turn up to collect her car, I got mine in to do the ARP's.

B4F87955-7331-4C2E-B53C-484CCB7C3AB7-4596-00000362C64A7DC3.jpg

All others done, Got some camber bolts to fit and fitted a new ballast today aswell as the passenger one started playing up.

53 Clio's & counting
Drove this at the weekend - combination of the RS2 and 197 cams is eeary - It pulls hard from low revs, but where as in a standard car it pulls ok, then comes the 'kick', and you get the usual tail off, this doesn't have a kick - it just pulls, then pulls, then pulls some more lol. It is so weird, it has the best of both worlds - the bottom end of a large CC engine (How a V8 would deliver it's power) combined with the top end of a small high revving engine - with no change is power delivery.

Definately suprised me! Oh, and power wise it pulls VERY well! (Must be the good mapping ;) )

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Definately suprised me! Oh, and power wise it pulls VERY well! (Must be the good mapping ;) )

Glad you approve mate :)

I'm pretty happy with how its turned out TBH :)

Did require a lot of patience from Dan though, basically ended up taking about a month in the end for me to map it as was just a case of a little bit here and a little bit there etc, FLOL
Would have been SO much easier on aftermarket not the standard ECU! But at least the end result is good.

53 Clio's & counting
It really is mate, really suprised me how linear the power is - you have said many times it makes track driving even better and I can see why with that power delivery!

I've really got it to a stage where it's a brilliant daily driver IMO. Suspension/seats/engine work so well together.

I've also picked these up today.
5CE5B14A-ACE2-4283-9B06-593ED9197C1B-19878-00000D601108C6AF.jpg

I must thank you chip for putting up with my moaning about little flat spots, but after server all tweaks and its finally perfect. It's back on the rollers tomorrow with a higher rev limit, so hope to crack the 200 mark. Or die trying ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will be interesting to see if the extra rpm yield a few more BHP or not, it certainly looks like it should given the amount of fuel its still taking at those rpm with a sensible AFR etc, but things dont always work exactly as expected!

Good luck though mate :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Great progress mate, love the TD 1.2's too!

Im gutted to have sold them TBH, really suited my car, but we've decided to go over to just OZ F1s for everything as it makes it so much easier with swapping between sets etc so have been selling off all the other different wheels we had like these 1.2s and some TD 1s and some Monzas etc.

Come to think of it, being good friends with chip is expensive.

£1400 for the RS-2/197 combo and mapping after going out in Lesley's
£80 for ARP's after seeing nearly 200bhp. Needs extra rev's.
£450 for wheels and tyres after he mentioned he was selling the 1.2's

Lol, and that was after the car was staying standard. Lol.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Come to think of it, being good friends with chip is expensive.

£1400 for the RS-2/197 combo and mapping after going out in Lesley's
£80 for ARP's after seeing nearly 200bhp. Needs extra rev's.
£450 for wheels and tyres after he mentioned he was selling the 1.2's

Lol, and that was after the car was staying standard. Lol.

That never happens lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flol. Dan managed to spend fortunes on his LCR with no influence from me, it's just an excuse him blaming me, Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dan gets through birds even quicker than he does cars so none of them are around long enough to moan about the cars.