ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

2014 Focus Titanium
Managed to pick up a second hand Asus VG278HR for £195 off AV forums, it arrived today and is perfect for my needs (mint condition too!). Absolute steal at that price, they retail around £350!

One very happy bunny indeed.

@Wilkeh im currently running gtx680 in sli. I see you recently upgraded to a gtx980, was it a worthy upgrade im considering upgrading to a palit gtx980 at £390. be grateful if you could offer an opinion on real world performance compared to your previous cards.

F82 M4
@Wilkeh im currently running gtx680 in sli. I see you recently upgraded to a gtx980, was it a worthy upgrade im considering upgrading to a palit gtx980 at £390. be grateful if you could offer an opinion on real world performance compared to your previous cards.

To be honest with you mate I upgraded because I knew I was going to get a 1440p monitor and knew the 680's wouldn't cut it with only 2GB VRAM. Since upgrading I have been nothing but impressed with the performance of the 980. I was maxing the VRAM on the 680's previously on games like BF4 etc, even at 1080p. The 980 in my experience has delivered more consistent frames and a generally smoother gameplay overall. I'd highly recommend you make the jump, single card is always a better option anyway. Less power, heat etc. Do it and you won't be disappointed. :)

A shiny black one.
My latest creation, built just into the new year.

Spec
  • Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
  • Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME X99 Socket 2011-v3 8 Channel Audio eATX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-5930K 3.50GHz Socket 2011-V3
  • Hyper X Predator Series16GB 2133MHz DDR4
  • HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5inch SATA-III
  • Seagate Desktop SSHD 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6
  • Cooler Master V8 Dual PWM Fan Cpu Cooler Heatpipe Vapour Chamber (black)
  • Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound
  • 2 x Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme 4GB GDDR5

74A6FCF0-2C46-4140-A807-1281CE456C2E_zpsonhezomd.jpg

A562CCE5-1E9A-4A91-A39B-2C4A75B4AFAD_zpsfir2l47d.jpg

F55C7ADB-2F44-407B-BB36-7783E21783D6_zpsdcqpt7ay.jpg

I chose this case as most of the cables can be managed in the rear compartment along with the ssd drive and psu. The graphics cards have green LED's that pulse when they're not under load.
FC04E922-84F1-4D5D-BE1C-72C66514FE1E_zpsn9xd1h8j.jpg

And pulse red when they are.

Thanks for looking.

A shiny black one.
Thanks.

I have no idea where to begin with water cooling, I'd love to do it as I think it'll look great.

Next is a 4k monitor.

A shiny black one.
Thanks for the pics mate.

I take it there is a reservoir/pump in the other compartment?

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of that wc setup? Where did you buy from?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
After being out of the PC scene for about 6 years now other than through work, and after having bought myself a PS4 in November I decided I wanted to get back into PC gaming, specifically CS:GO as I played a LOT of Source and 1.6 previously.

I decided to go for a mix of second hand parts to build a budget rig and see how I got on.

Spec:
CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.4Ghz
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix VLP DDR3
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X
Case: Corsair 200R
Boot Drive: Kingston 120GB SSD
Storage: 2 x WD Green 2TB (RAID 1)
PSU: Cooler Master G650M
Cooling: 2 Front Case Fans, 1 Rear, H100i AIO CPU Cooler
Keyboard: Corsair K70
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 (I've had deathadders, Lachesis etc and still prefer this)
Headset: Hyper-X Cloud
Speakers: Logitech Sub/Speaker combo
Monitors: LG 23MP75 IPS LED, Samsung SyncMaster 931c

Reason for the VLP RAM is because the 200R isn't meant to have a top mounted H100i as it fouls on the RAM. I started with 1 8GB stick of Mushkin memory that came with the MoBo and CPU and had to cut part of the standard fan out. I got the VLP RAM today along with 2 SP120 White LED fans to replace the standard ones.

Few pictures:

16741528338_f8e4b0242b_z.jpg
Fan bodge for RAM
by welshname, on Flickr

16927852076_02f2d24145_z.jpg
New RAM vs Old
by welshname, on Flickr

16766314920_f8e9302ddd_z.jpg
RAM Clearance
by welshname, on Flickr

16766105418_58a4ac3c25_z.jpg
LED Fans
by welshname, on Flickr

16929196885_be2b6a3b2f_z.jpg
Desk
by welshname, on Flickr

16927906612_95fbc75e76_z.jpg
CPUID
by welshname, on Flickr

Nowhere near as impressive as the stuff in here but I'm glad to be back owning a PC and gaming again.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Rocking the intellimouse 3.0 :cool:

Easily the best mouse in the day!
Its incredible...until you have just achieved a 5 man clutch and you're defusing the bomb only for your scroll wheel to do its usual trick of clicking over an extra step and making you stop defusing and you lose the round.

Bloody love it though.

2014 Focus Titanium
Awesome Welshname! Looks a decent enough set up for CS:GO that's for sure, but you will deffo want at least 120hz monitor once you get into it, 60hz is just painful on CS :(

Also, you mention you've had 3 death adders but prefer the MS 3.0, were any of the DAs thr 2013/14 version? They improved the sensor a tonne so it doesn't suffer with LOD problems now and it's an amazing mouse. I rocked an MS 3.0 for years right up until 4 months ago when I switched to the new DA and I haven't looked back. The worst thing about the MS 3.0 is the 125hz USB polling, I did used to overclock my port to 500hz but can't do it on Windows 8.1 which is what forced me to make the switch. Can't deal with that lag y0!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome Welshname! Looks a decent enough set up for CS:GO that's for sure, but you will deffo want at least 120hz monitor once you get into it, 60hz is just painful on CS :(

Also, you mention you've had 3 death adders but prefer the MS 3.0, were any of the DAs thr 2013/14 version? They improved the sensor a tonne so it doesn't suffer with LOD problems now and it's an amazing mouse. I rocked an MS 3.0 for years right up until 4 months ago when I switched to the new DA and I haven't looked back. The worst thing about the MS 3.0 is the 125hz USB polling, I did used to overclock my port to 500hz but can't do it on Windows 8.1 which is what forced me to make the switch. Can't deal with that lag y0!
Cheers pal and nope not tried the new one.

For me I'm a very low sensitivity player so I pick the mouse up a lot to rotate further. I find that with the death adder the shape doesn't lend itself very well to it even though its relatively similar, it just seems to drop on one side a little which makes the sensor see the movement as an input.

But yes I will be swapping to a better monitor at some point. I just wanted to keep the budget lower lol.

2014 Focus Titanium
Keep am eye out for second hand monitors, there are some bargains to be had if you're patient!

Also one thing I didn't mention is that the 2013 DA is quite a bit lighter than the original, much better for low sens players!

2014 Focus Titanium
I've got the DeathAdder 3.5G whichever that one is. It lights up blue. It works just fine and is the comfiest mouse I've ever held!
That's the old one, suffers with LOD issues and is a touch heavy. If you like that then you'd love the 2013 DA.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The only reason you'd buy a MS mouse in the first place is that you didn't want to spend £50 on a Razer one in the first place.
WEELLLLLLL you're wrong.

I had a Lachesis as my first mouse if you remember them. Then I moved to a death adder but found that even at the lowest DPI I was turning my sensitivity in game down to 1.

Then I got the 3.0 after having spent well over £100 on those two mice. Now I use a higher sensitivity than I did back then so I may look at the deathadder again.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
WEELLLLLLL you're wrong.

I had a Lachesis as my first mouse if you remember them. Then I moved to a death adder but found that even at the lowest DPI I was turning my sensitivity in game down to 1.

Then I got the 3.0 after having spent well over £100 on those two mice. Now I use a higher sensitivity than I did back then so I may look at the deathadder again.

I'm fairly certain that if you use the Razor app to turn sensitivity down on the DA it's like having your mouse stuck in mud and can't imagine actually needing it that slow. I do admit my overuse of "first place" is poor.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm fairly certain that if you use the Razor app to turn sensitivity down on the DA it's like having your mouse stuck in mud and can't imagine actually needing it that slow. I do admit my overuse of "first place" is poor.
It wasn't just the DPI that was the issue, it was the weight and LOD.

Now that's resolved and I play at a higher sensitivity it won't be an issue.

If you look at my mouse mat which is an original Mantis Control one full swipe of that used to be 180degrees for me.

I think I've posted this pic before but for benefit of @Ben.S here you go buddy

Some WC in an Air 540, only my second WC build (well moved from my old full tower case) also slightly changed up since then and moved HDDs to the back, need to upgrade my GPU soon too.

16362950758_375a407a9d_z.jpg

16548940221_60e7bae83d_z.jpg
Best case IMO,
Carbide 540 FTW, I will never change mine

My PC,
3770K @3.9Ghz (up to 4.4possible)
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Palit 670GTX Jetstream
AX750 PSU
@1080p i have no need to change anything at all! Play everything well above 60FPS usually on high, New BF was on high @54fps, No need for anything new unless you go 1440p<

Anyone in here delidded their ivy bridge CPU?

Tempted to do it as people have seen huge temp drops allowing clocking up to 4.9ghz
thought about it, but really more hassle than its worth i think.

may be worth doing now as they are getting older but i dont think id see super gains off 4.4ghz, @60degrees