ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...dator-g3-605-gaming-desktop-21656659-pdt.html picked this up earlier (had a credit note for 700) will it run bf4?

As above.

It will run! I guess that's the main thing.

Also..

Mate you will not look back. Seriously the difference between 60 and 120hz is like night and day, every game looks immense and smooth. The only problem is once you're used to 120hz you will never want to use anything but 120hz and it makes everything else look s**t :cool:

You were right mate!

Everything is just so much smoother and (for want of a better word) fluider with the 120hz monitor.

Colours took an age to setup, but it was worth it.

Gaming is a pleasure on it.

Tried out 3D Vision also.. Hated it. Strained my eyes like mad, looked like I was crying, was water running down my face.

I'll stick to plain old 120hz. I never was a fan of any gimmicky 3D stuff anyway.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is there a way for you to return it and sell the credit note/buy some appliances or a tv for someone and take the cash? You could do better buying the bits yourself for 700

Is there a way for you to return it and sell the credit note/buy some appliances or a tv for someone and take the cash? You could do better buying the bits yourself for 700

not really i got it to use as a family computer so thought to get this and give a few games a try on this to see if i like playing on the pc, if i do like gaming on it then yes i will end up building one.

Evo 5 RS
Few shots with Mrs camera.

8eem.jpg

dmcf.jpg

7mvw.jpg

7d52.jpg

ufsq.jpg

l6q1.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So I've decided to go half budget with my aim being to make it for the rest of the year and look at what 2015's chips bring.

i5 760 into my existing 1156 mobo
Corsair H100i to overclock the above as much as possible
MSI R9 290 4GB

Should run BF4 a treat.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Mine has been refreshed now with new tubing, new power cables throughout and the correct size (one inch version) fittings for the Hydro Coppers (had to buy them from the USA!):

PC_zps5668abfa.jpg

Only got an iPhone pic at the moment, need to find the strength to take it off the table and take decent pics ;)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
So I finally bit the bullet and bought....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-430-OE

CA-099-BX_400.jpg

With;

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Red Case to go with my desk
250gb SSD
2 TB Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2048 graphics.

VAT free too which helps ;)

Thoughts welcome although its a bit late to change anything. I have also bought a seemingly high spec BenQ monitor (
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-088-BQ ).

MO-088-BQ_74528_350.jpg

I'll probably be bugging you guys with n00bish questions over the next few weeks, if thats ok.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Tidy spec, enjoy! :)

I really fancy a monitor upgrade, for no apparent reason, but can't justify the cost of 3 and a Triple stand atm :'(

Great!

I've been shying away from validation as I shelled out already haha. They were really helpful at Overclockers on talking me through things. Dont think I got spun a line but it was within budget anyway. I will definitely be recommending them and using them again.

The monitor was really important to me, purely by chance that it went nicely with the colour of the case.

Only thing I dont have yet is any games - recommendation for something that will make my jaw drop?

Great!

I've been shying away from validation as I shelled out already haha. They were really helpful at Overclockers on talking me through things. Dont think I got spun a line but it was within budget anyway. I will definitely be recommending them and using them again.

The monitor was really important to me, purely by chance that it went nicely with the colour of the case.

Only thing I dont have yet is any games - recommendation for something that will make my jaw drop?

Hmm, for graphics or gameplay?

Titanfall is out next month and should be good judging from the Beta! Thief is out the end of this month and I think it's meant to have good graphics, but not too sure about this. BF4 looks pretty nice too!

Graphics-wise, Crysis 3/Elder Scrolls with mods will make your draw drop, but sadly I think the games leave a little to be desired (not sure why I couldn't get into Skyrim), though it's a ballache to get it all installed.

Yeah the guys at OcUK are useful, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews but they're my primary retailer for anything PC related tbh, and I've never had an issue!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Tomb Raider if you've not played it.

I'd like a monitor upgrade also, but I'd want 2 x of atleast 27" as that's what I have currently and am used to the size.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, for graphics or gameplay?

Titanfall is out next month and should be good judging from the Beta! Thief is out the end of this month and I think it's meant to have good graphics, but not too sure about this. BF4 looks pretty nice too!

Graphics-wise, Crysis 3/Elder Scrolls with mods will make your draw drop, but sadly I think the games leave a little to be desired (not sure why I couldn't get into Skyrim), though it's a ballache to get it all installed.

Yeah the guys at OcUK are useful, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews but they're my primary retailer for anything PC related tbh, and I've never had an issue!

Graphics primarily - I know quite a bit about gaming just not what works well on this sort of set up.

I've been meaning to give Skyrim a crack anyway so I think I'll go for that. I think theyre chucking in a couple of free games with it but cant for the life of me remember what they are.

I'm looking forward to going a bit nuts on Steam - man maths says is have £100 to spend as thats what I didnt spend on my budget :evil:

Tomb Raider if you've not played it.

I'd like a monitor upgrade also, but I'd want 2 x of atleast 27" as that's what I have currently and am used to the size.

Yeah I think 27 would have been a little too big for me as I wont be that far away from it - I stuck a 28" TV on my desk last night just to confirm that it was indeed far too big.

I'll have a look at Tomb Raider.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I dont think they're as bright IRL I remember seeing one, but they are still quite bright.

If need be just transplant it into a black case :p

That would be a disaster waiting to happen haha.

I shouldnt have reposted it - making me too excited!

Not that it will be very interesting as its a standard computer but I will post some pics up on Monday when I get it.

ST1050, 320d
I'm going to order one next month, looking at a budget of around £700. OC have some decent looking AMD builds, seem to get more for your money.

F82 M4
Nice system @banther, you'll be very pleased with it mate :)

+1 for Tomb Raider, such a great game. Looks absolutely fantastic on the PC. Do you have a 360 pad by the way? A lot of the games on the PC are much better with a pad like racing and 3rd person games. I see you have an Xbox ONE but I don't think Microsoft have utilised the Xbox ONE controller to work on the PC yet.

Keep an eye on the Steam sales as well, you can pick up some serious little bargains. Add me on Steam when it's all set up by the way, my details are under my avatar.

Can also recommend this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098VNKDQ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Every C&C made for a mere £10!! :cool:

Just something on the system, is it possible to change just one thing? Or is it too late? If it's too late it's nothing major anyway:)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm going to order one next month, looking at a budget of around £700. OC have some decent looking AMD builds, seem to get more for your money.

I did a build with a similar budget a few years back (albeit spent quite a bit more on accessories). If I could have done anything differently I'd say:

Buy a decent motherboard so you can buy a better CPU on eBay and drop it in there and have the option of overclocking.

Get a decent Haswell mobo, drop an i3 in there for now and get a half decent graphics card.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Nice system @banther, you'll be very pleased with it mate :)

+1 for Tomb Raider, such a great game. Looks absolutely fantastic on the PC. Do you have a 360 pad by the way? A lot of the games on the PC are much better with a pad like racing and 3rd person games. Keep an eye on the Steam sales as well, you can pick up some serious little bargains. Add me on Steam when it's all set up by the way, my details are under my avatar.

Can also recommend this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098VNKDQ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Every C&C made for a mere £10!! :cool:

Just one thing on the system, is it possible to change just one thing? Or is it too late? If it's too late it's nothing major anyway:)

I can call them and ask? What is it.....?

Every C&C for a tenner!!! Bargain! I used to love Red Alert.

I do have a 360 pad knocking around. I've bought a gaming keyboard but I like pulling triggers for FPS

ST1050, 320d
I did a build with a similar budget a few years back (albeit spent quite a bit more on accessories). If I could have done anything differently I'd say:

Buy a decent motherboard so you can buy a better CPU on eBay and drop it in there and have the option of overclocking.

Get a decent Haswell mobo, drop an i3 in there for now and get a half decent graphics card.

I could probably spend a little more on a i5 build? Will it make that much of a difference on gaming?

Bearing in mind that I will be running it through a tv as a gaming/media set up at 1080p and at a couple of metres viewing distance, so crazy resolutions aren't the be all and end all for me. 60 fps would be nice at high settings for most current gen games.

F82 M4
I can call them and ask? What is it.....?

Every C&C for a tenner!!! Bargain! I used to love Red Alert.

I do have a 360 pad knocking around. I've bought a gaming keyboard but I like pulling triggers for FPS

It's nothing major mate so if they can't I wouldn't worry about it. I've just noticed that for an extra £40 you could have a 770 instead of a 760. The 770 will max any game in Ultra details, it's basically a rebranded 680 with higher clock speeds. The 760 is still a cracking little card though and will run all games at high settings. It's just the extra FPS will show well on your 144hz monitor you see :)

That C&C bundle is great for £10. I'd pay £20 just for Red Alert 2 and Yuri's revenge. Easily the best C&C there is :cool:

I could probably spend a little more on a i5 build? Will it make that much of a difference on gaming?

Bearing in mind that I will be running it through a tv as a gaming/media set up at 1080p and at a couple of metres viewing distance, so crazy resolutions aren't the be all and end all for me. 60 fps would be nice at high settings for most current gen games.

An i5 will make a lot of difference over an i3 for gaming for sure!

If it's £700 just for the tower you'll do it easy!

Rule of thumb you'd be better off saving a bit more now and just buying a higher spec rather than buying a newer cpu later in the year, mobos right now are tied to cpu-series very much so (next series out soon won't be supported on mobos due to just 2 pin reversals...)

ST1050, 320d
An i5 will make a lot of difference over an i3 for gaming for sure!

How about against AMD processors though? Say AMD FX6-6300 vs i5 4670k?

The chances are I wouldn't bother upgrading for a fair old while anyway so I'm not too concerned about that aspect of it as such.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
It's nothing major mate so if they can't I wouldn't worry about it. I've just noticed that for an extra £40 you could have a 770 instead of a 760. The 770 will max any game in Ultra details, it's basically a rebranded 680 with higher clock speeds. The 760 is still a cracking little card though and will run all games at high settings. It's just the extra FPS will show well on your 144hz monitor you see :)

That C&C bundle is great for £10. I'd pay £20 just for Red Alert 2 and Yuri's revenge. Easily the best C&C there is :cool:

Sorted it. Thanks for the recommendation.

As for the game pad - wheres the force feedback with a mouse?! I'll give it a go.

F82 M4
It's 99% certain. Just waiting on a confirmation email.

Aww that's awesome mate, you'll be very pelased with the performance of the 770, it's a beast of a card!

Like I said though it was nothing major as the 760 is still great, was just thinking of making the best use of the BenQ that's all! ;)

Plus it's more future proof :)

How about against AMD processors though? Say AMD FX6-6300 vs i5 4670k?

The chances are I wouldn't bother upgrading for a fair old while anyway so I'm not too concerned about that aspect of it as such.

From the benchmarks I've seen the i7's trump AMD's cpus, but there's plenty of benchmarks around for that kinda stuff - not too sure with that cpu off the top of my head :)

Evo 5 RS
unsure of what RAM to get. Ditching the C10 1866 and going with either C10 2400 or C9 2133. C9 2133 dom plats seem like a nice sweet spot for 24/7 as they run at 1.5v

Can always try and push em with more volts.