ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
I like how in the Hall of Fame for Firestrike I'm surrounded by users using 4 Titans :D lol
npew.png

IOJqrZw.jpg

Slipped on the buy button yesterday, and added another 290.

Updated the PSU to a Seasonic X 850 and updated the waterpump as it was getting on and didnt want to have any risk of one failing.

Inferno 182 CUP
Okay, shoot me down into millions of pieces.

Im a newb & i want to build myself a PC.

A proper animal spec machine to last ages and play serious games on. Linked to TV via HDMI.

Where does one start?!

Is it simple as plugging it all in and turn it on and install?

Budget? - god knows - lets try to keep it small and see where we go, size wise? smaller the better .. HELP! :(

RX7 FD
The 2 things that clash in your statement Danny133.

Animal spec machine and budget starting small haha! You really need to set a budget to give us a point to start with :)

Evo 5 RS
Slipped on the buy button yesterday, and added another 290.

Updated the PSU to a Seasonic X 850 and updated the waterpump as it was getting on and didnt want to have any risk of one failing.

Nice setup :) What sort of temps do you get overall with two cards on that loop now?

Was bored on Friday so put on a custom non boost BIOS on one of the 780Tis. Managed to get a better score with the v-droop stabilised at 1.21v. Need more volts to go higher.

1235Mhz / 3930Mhz

I've got the Classifieds on order though, naturally :D

58f0.png

Nice setup :) What sort of temps do you get overall with two cards on that loop now?

Was bored on Friday so put on a custom non boost BIOS on one of the 780Tis. Managed to get a better score with the v-droop stabilised at 1.21v. Need more volts to go higher.

1235Mhz / 3930Mhz

I've got the Classifieds on order though, naturally :D

58f0.png

Mining is a bit nasty at the moment, I did have the water up to around 46C (and gpus around 60C) with the side door on, so have taken it off for now and I think it reaches about 37c, with the GPUs at about 58C :) so that's not too bad at all.

I did briefly try BF4 yesterday, and that was really nice running crossfire. Had everything completely maxed and didn't see it drop under 100fps, but still annoyed with the reg of bullets so won't be playing it much still.

I will try a benchmark tonight - what software do I need, futuremark ?

Evo 5 RS
Agree on the hit reg, the amount of times I've got the jump on people and nothings registered. Yes it's 3DMark 11. Firestrike mate. Note that's with one GPU not Tri SLI so your Crossfire score will be higher I'd hope :D.

Think my highest score for SLi is 24,500

Ok cheers, I'll give it a go tonight!

Yeah I was really expecting it to be fixed, it actually felt better in the beta which is why I bought it (and premium), but since it came out properly I've been really disappointed.

The higher FPS seems to help on some servers, but I think that's just different servers being the fix more than anything.

Guess I'll stick to XBone/LoL for now, and wait for the next big thing lol.

Evo 5 RS
I know what you mean. I'm not particularly impressed with AC4 either. Just more of the same, and the graphics aren't all that either.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Just starting to buy bits slowly for matx build (money's tight)

Got silverstone tj08e case
Got cooler master silent gold 1200w psu

Need the rest lol

Agree on the hit reg, the amount of times I've got the jump on people and nothings registered. Yes it's 3DMark 11. Firestrike mate. Note that's with one GPU not Tri SLI so your Crossfire score will be higher I'd hope :D.

Think my highest score for SLi is 24,500

Hmm looks like we need the pro version? Just downloaded the demo now and I couldn't specify which benchmark etc!

RX7 FD
Just had my first bash at overclocking.

Got my i7 4770K to 4.4Ghz at 1.3VCore with an H100i keeping temps mid to late 70's. More testing later to make sure it is stable. Doesn't seem to be a great Haswell chip but if it stays stable then I'd be happy with that. I did want 4.5 GHZ but unsure if I really want to push the VCore higher still.

Got to flash my 7990 next then I can actually start playing some games!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Unless I'm not up to speed on these processors, but mid to late 70's seems high to me as well.

Bumder With A Buffer
I need to do mine properly.

I let the OC Genie do it itself and its at 4.2 and 1.x (can't remember!) Volts.

I had it at 4.5 and 1.275 before updating the BIOS I think

Bumder With A Buffer
Hmm looks like we need the pro version? Just downloaded the demo now and I couldn't specify which benchmark etc!

No you can. Well I could when I downloaded it. Think it went through them all to start with and then I realised you could select them individually.

I can't remember how though I'm afraid :(

RX7 FD
Hmm, 1.3V seems like a LOT for 4.4Ghz, you sure you need it that high?

Unfortunately it seems to be the way with my processor. It is not stable at 4.4 with out 1.3V. I had to tweak my Ring Voltage to 1.2 and VRIN Override to 2V to get a general stable platform. So far I have only done about 15 minutes of AIDA testing but the temps are well within the acceptable norm it seems. Obviously if I can start to lower them I will, but I want a base stable overclock before I go hunting that sweet spot.

Unless I'm not up to speed on these processors, but mid to late 70's seems high to me as well.

Haswell runs extra hot it seems (Thanks Intel). The processor does not throttle until 95c I think. So I'd be happy at low 80's if I was to push higher. But if my overclock is stable and the temps remain at the 80c mark it should be fine.

Haswell do run hot yep, I can see high 60's when mine is under load even though the water temps are ~35C!

Ahh that's a shame, maybe you can get it slightly lower, I did used to run 1.3V but I was at ~4.7, and the temp increase from 1.25 to 1.3 was quite insane!

RX7 FD
The stupid thing is I had a lovely stable 4.2 overclock at 1.25! I just wanted to push it a bit more, considering the H100i and great air flow of the Carbide 540R it should be able to take it.

This is my first time overclocking and finding it quite fun, but I need to know when to stop. Stress testing the cores at 100% is all well and good but as long as the rig is stable for 3/4 hours of BF4, then I am pretty sure it will be ok!

The stupid thing is I had a lovely stable 4.2 overclock at 1.25! I just wanted to push it a bit more, considering the H100i and great air flow of the Carbide 540R it should be able to take it.

This is my first time overclocking and finding it quite fun, but I need to know when to stop. Stress testing the cores at 100% is all well and good but as long as the rig is stable for 3/4 hours of BF4, then I am pretty sure it will be ok!

Pretty much! Good to see you're using AIDA though, no other stress test actually tests Haswell properly, and as you say if it's stable when gaming who cares!

I don't even bother to test mine now really, I go for known good figures and see if it doesn't crash when playing :p

RX7 FD
Pretty much! Good to see you're using AIDA though, no other stress test actually tests Haswell properly, and as you say if it's stable when gaming who cares!

I don't even bother to test mine now really, I go for known good figures and see if it doesn't crash when playing :p

Haha that makes me think of this "Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy" Overclocking!

The real frustrating thing is having to be at work, when I want to be at home tinkering and getting everything set up so I can smash up BF4. I still have to flash my 7990 for optimum performance. On all my other builds I never bothered with any of this and just got on with gaming. I love PC's!

Bumder With A Buffer
Whats weird with overclocking is my new rig is/was overclocked to 4.5 and plays Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 and everything else with no crashing.

YEt the rig I built last year with nigh on the exact same spec would crash like hell at anything over stock. Clearly the OC was unstable somehow but I never got to the bottom of why it was unstable.

Big Dave I see you have a 7990 too?? Does yours whine as well? Mine does like a biatch but I just ignore it and put the headphones on. Also whats this about flashing it?

I updated to the latest AMD drivers and thats sorted my random GPU 1/2 useage it seems

RX7 FD
I have only played about an hour or so of BF4 but I did hear some whine. But with my headphones on I do not notice it at all.

I disabled ULUPS in MSI Afterburner, which helps GPU2 to work properly, but it is currently at stock apart from that. On Overclockers there is a chap who has made a custom bios which stops the card throttling and keeps it in the boost state to improve performance.

FF RB 182
Anyone recommend me some games to get to test my new laptop out, used to play CoD 1, cod UO and cod 2 competitively clans etc when i was younger. Downloading Far cry 3 at moment, just to play around. Need to get a mouse really not sure what FPS will be like using track pad..?

specs are I think i7 4800, 16gb ram and 770m 3gb nvidia card.

IMAG0891.jpg

1453216_10202200989842112_371588635_n.jpg

F82 M4
Nice laptop mate! As Cookie says you definitely need a decent gaming mouse and mouse mat. Take a look around at what takes your fancy :cool:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... my current PC died tonight. It's been a bit flaky for a week or two now. Hence an upgrade is in order. Well, not so much an upgrade - more a new build. I like to think I'm fairly clued up on modern hardware but thought I'd run it past guys here as some tend to change their setup every other week... Silent_Scone :p I'm interested in what spec you'd go for given my budget and requirements (not through laziness but more as a lot of guys here are cutting-edge when it comes to current tech)!

First of all my budget is ~£2,000 tops (obviously the cheaper the better). So no uber-systems as I have too many other commitments to go bonkers! In a nutshell, I need a tower and the components to go inside it; all peripherals and monitors are already covered.

My requirements are quite straightforward. :p The system is primarily for development (and possibly a game or two here and there). I work with and write software that is distributed and heavily parallelised - i.e. multi-core/threaded and, at times, heavily computational. Primary development is for visualisation systems and algorithms - both realtime (using DirectX 11 / Shader Model 5+) and non-realtime (raytracing, software rendering/rasterisation). In addition to the coding, I will be using the machine for graphic design (which in this case means Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and similar). I'm not worried about overclocking.

The only thing I insist on having in the system is an nVidia 780 Ti (or something very similar). Sorry, no AMD Radeon solutions though! I've nothing against them but some of the work I do requires nVidia specific hardware right now. :) Obviously the more memory the better, SSD essential (for operating system and maybe scratch disk) but all running on a quality motherboard and CPU, which needs to be Intel-based.

To summarise, I am looking for component recommendations for these (below) based on the above:

- Tower / case
- PSU (suitably powerful with a little headroom)
- Motherboard (with built-in audio, USB3.0, wi-fi and the standard shizzle)
- Intel CPU
- SSD
- GPU
- RAM
- Potential cooling recommendations (if deemed necessary over standard air-cooling)

Thanking you in advance. :)

Clio 172 PH1 (PH-Quick)
So... my current PC died tonight. It's been a bit flaky for a week or two now. Hence an upgrade is in order. Well, not so much an upgrade - more a new build. I like to think I'm fairly clued up on modern hardware but thought I'd run it past guys here as some tend to change their setup every other week... @Silent_Scone :p I'm interested in what spec you'd go for given my budget and requirements (not through laziness but more as a lot of guys here are cutting-edge when it comes to current tech)!

First of all my budget is ~£2,000 tops (obviously the cheaper the better). So no uber-systems as I have too many other commitments to go bonkers! In a nutshell, I need a tower and the components to go inside it; all peripherals and monitors are already covered.

My requirements are quite straightforward. :p The system is primarily for development (and possibly a game or two here and there). I work with and write software that is distributed and heavily parallelised - i.e. multi-core/threaded and, at times, heavily computational. Primary development is for visualisation systems and algorithms - both realtime (using DirectX 11 / Shader Model 5+) and non-realtime (raytracing, software rendering/rasterisation). In addition to the coding, I will be using the machine for graphic design (which in this case means Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and similar). I'm not worried about overclocking.

The only thing I insist on having in the system is an nVidia 780 Ti (or something very similar). Sorry, no AMD Radeon solutions though! I've nothing against them but some of the work I do requires nVidia specific hardware right now. :) Obviously the more memory the better, SSD essential (for operating system and maybe scratch disk) but all running on a quality motherboard and CPU, which needs to be Intel-based.

To summarise, I am looking for component recommendations for these (below) based on the above:

- Tower / case
- PSU (suitably powerful with a little headroom)
- Motherboard (with built-in audio, USB3.0, wi-fi and the standard shizzle)
- Intel CPU
- SSD
- GPU
- RAM
- Potential cooling recommendations (if deemed necessary over standard air-cooling)

Thanking you in advance. :)

I think your needs suit the X79 platform fairly well mate. If I get time later I'll price it up but here's a run down to what I'd go for component wise

ASUS X79 Deluxe MB

4930K processor

32GB memory kit of sorts (maybe 1866)

EVGA SuperClocked 780 Ti

Superflower Leadex 1000W (for plenty of headroom in case you want to add another 780Ti)

Case and cooling is obviously subjective, but I think if you can't be bothered with a custom loop your best bet is one of the corsair solutions. That should come well within your budget :)

P.S I'm rebuilding my loop into a 900D, and spent over £1,800 last night :X

RX7 FD
^^

A vote for the Corsair H100i. Has been a great cooler for my CPU so far under all my testing. I did replace the stock fans though with some Alpenfohn beauties mind :)

Evo 5 RS
Cheers Sconey-fella-me-lad. :)

BigDave - the H100i is exactly what I have pencilled in as I like the fact it's hassle free and pre-filled, etc.

No worries mate.

My new loop is going to be fairly heafty in the 900D.

2x 480mm and 1x 360mm run on two D5s.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Custom loops quickly get expensive, I wouldn't like to build a £2000 PC with a custom loop, Corsair solution is best and air cool the rest (spend the money on components).