ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
How you finding it? Looking at the 49" version in Currys as we on a budget now.

Coming from a 6 year old 40" it's going to be a big change!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...t-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-49-led-tv-10145518-pdt.html

Think I read only 1 HDMI is UHD? Might have seen that wrong!!

Opinions would be great from am owner!

Sorry dude

Missed this! I haven't actually used it for very long ATM it's going in a renovated room which isn't ready yet I've had it out the box and watched a football game in 4K and it was awesome!

That's the only time I've used it so sorry I can't be of anymore help!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
That LG is good value, I looked at it, but its not a 10 bit panel and apparently does fake 4k.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Got my 49" lg coming today, Wanted an Oled but they were just too expensive. Went for a pretty good super ultra hd instead! Because super ultra sounds super ultra cool.

It's the 49uh770v if anyone's interested, managed to get AO to price match it at £600 too so £50 off

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
We got a Samsung UE55KS8000 on "Cyber Monday".

It's replacing the 48" Samsung Curved 4K TV that we never really clicked with. got it for a good price so bought it in April but should have researched it beforehand.

The new TV however is awesome and it seems to have solved the Sky Q issues we were having and surround sound problems also.

HDR games on the Xbox One S look immense on the new TV.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
Hisense 55M7000 is great value for money. 10 bit HDR and 4k - was £640 when I got mine.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Hisense 55M7000 is great value for money. 10 bit HDR and 4k - was £640 when I got mine.
+1 i've got one too, epic TV for the price.

followed the below calibration guide and it's spot on!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Never heard of Hisense either, but I've not bought a TV for 8 years!
With the new Xbox pre-ordered, I'm looking at something 4K, around 55" and up to about £800.
Anyone have any advice?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The Sony one looks to be a good choice. Looks like last years sorta flagship model (I find this method of buying to be best bang for buck) so will be an excellent choice for the X.

We have the Samsung UE55KS8000 and really do rate it (though speakers aint the best).

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The Sony one looks to be a good choice. Looks like last years sorta flagship model (I find this method of buying to be best bang for buck) so will be an excellent choice for the X.

We have the Samsung UE55KS8000 and really do rate it (though speakers aint the best).
Same old story with LG/Samsung with the speakers then, nothing new there. I have a 5.1 system so would just use that for movies etc anyway.
I'll give the Sony and Samsung a look, cheers

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have a sony bravia now just not 4k and its 3 years old but the speakers were crap so did have to get a sound bar. I think its the norm with most these slim tv's now tbh.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I have a sony bravia now just not 4k and its 3 years old but the speakers were crap so did have to get a sound bar. I think its the norm with most these slim tv's now tbh.
Yup. Same when I bought my LG years ago. The profile of them doesn't allow for good enough speaking. You have to sound bar everything.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im thinking of a sony for around £800-1k. My 8yr old LG has started switching itself on and off randomly.
Any decent 4K Ultra HD deals around, ive not had to look for a tv for years.

Snap

I went into richer soups and they recommended this

https://m.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia...inch-with-freeview-hd-youview-black/p/3167698

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cream%20Of%20Mushroom.png

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'll ask in here.

Wall mounts, are there any better than others, doesn't need to be particularly adjustable and to hold a 49" tv.

What brands are the go to, never put a tv on the wall before so I'm not clued up.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'll ask in here.

Wall mounts, are there any better than others, doesn't need to be particularly adjustable and to hold a 49" tv.

What brands are the go to, never put a tv on the wall before so I'm not clued up.

Just look for something that is 400x400 VESA certified and pick one that suits your budget and aesthetic preference.

EDIT: Assuming your tv is a fairly modern set with VESA mounting points! :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Just look for something that is 400x400 VESA certified and pick one that suits your budget and aesthetic preference.

EDIT: Assuming your tv is a fairly modern set with VESA mounting points! :)
Its a 2 year old LG so guessing that'll be 400x400?

Ok I'll have a browse on the web

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I would have thought so mate, but check your TV manual to make sure. VESA mounting standards have been around since the late 1990's (albeit by different names and updates to accommodate the increase in tv / monitor sizes and weights).

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
My folks are in their 70s and want a replacement TV. Given the state of their hearing most of the budget will be going on a soundbar, with whatever's left on the set itself.

Tech like 4K will be wasted when all they really want is something they can pause then resume without going down the Sky/Virgin/etc route.

Does anyone have any guidance on a brand/UI best suited to 'viewers of age'?

Any reason not to go for something like this:

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/samsung-tvs/samsung-ue40m5000.html

Cheers

133T
Any of you guys have experience with the soap opera effect on tvs? My dads bought a Toshiba 55U6663 and after a lot of googling I can’t seem to find a way to turn this off or reduce it. My dad doesn’t notice but my mum does with the soaps and the like.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Any of you guys have experience with the soap opera effect on tvs? My dads bought a Toshiba 55U6663 and after a lot of googling I can’t seem to find a way to turn this off or reduce it. My dad doesn’t notice but my mum does with the soaps and the like.

It'll have motion smoothing turned on, so turn that off in the settings. After a quick google apparently it's called ClearFrame or ClearScan on Toshiba TV's..

Soap opera effect is because everything looks like a soap opera and too "real", shouldn't be less of an issue on an actual soap as they are recorded at higher frame rates than movies and other tv shows. So you may or may not be experiencing soap opera effect, however give the above a try.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
you could also try playing around with turning off things like either 4k/digital upscaling and noise reduction.

133T
It'll have motion smoothing turned on, so turn that off in the settings. After a quick google apparently it's called ClearFrame or ClearScan on Toshiba TV's..

Soap opera effect is because everything looks like a soap opera and too "real", shouldn't be less of an issue on an actual soap as they are recorded at higher frame rates than movies and other tv shows. So you may or may not be experiencing soap opera effect, however give the above a try.

Thanks Jonny. I can't find anything in the settings relating to ClearFrame or ClearScan. Noise Reduction was there though and I did amend this but seen no difference.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Thread resurrection!

Interested to know who on here is serious about their home cinema, or at least knows the different between OLED and CRT...

What kind of setups are people running?
TV, receiver, surround sound, set-top box?
and a picture!

LG OLED65C8
Logitech z906 5.1 surround sound
Apple TV
2019-03-06 16.55.41.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Can’t help with the above, but..

I was on the hunt for a budget sub 50’ TV, and Richersounds ended up persuading me to buy a Philips 6500, only use will be for Xbox. Seems ok so far. Wanted another Hisense, but couldn’t find anything

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Thread resurrection!

Interested to know who on here is serious about their home cinema, or at least knows the different between OLED and CRT...

What kind of setups are people running?
TV, receiver, surround sound, set-top box?
and a picture!

LG OLED65C8
Logitech z906 5.1 surround sound
Apple TV
View attachment 1429952

Is that straight out the box?
If so find the fine tuning video I linked a while back & you will see it come alive.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Can anyone help.. so this is my little games room set up. It’s great for most games, but on Fifa 19 there is a slight blur on players when the ball is passed.. almost like it’s struggling to keep up. It’s on ‘Game’ mods. Any tips? It’s a Phillips 6500 43’.

DFD2F353-8CE0-4C63-BE0D-07CB2206DAD1.jpeg

RS Clio 182
does anyone know the difference between these two TVs? Apart from the base? The technical stuff seems to be the same..

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Different bezel and stand by the looks of things. The actual tech seems identical.

RS Clio 182
Can anyone help.. so this is my little games room set up. It’s great for most games, but on Fifa 19 there is a slight blur on players when the ball is passed.. almost like it’s struggling to keep up. It’s on ‘Game’ mods. Any tips? It’s a Phillips 6500 43’.

View attachment 1434354

Just mess with all the settings - our LG 55 inch in our lounge does it,im not sure why - but i havnt changed any settings. I have an older 2014 LG and it doesnt do it, which is odd - im looking at a new TV atm and im also wary about this ghosting issue.

RS Clio 182
Different bezel and stand by the looks of things. The actual tech seems identical.

Im looking at one of them for my next TV,with the PS5 coming next year - they look ok yeah? Im just wary about this ghosting issue you get with fast moving objects in games. Would rather keep it LG as i have the soundbar and limit is 49 inch.