ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

banther

ClioSport Club Member
As appropriate a place as any to post this.

What would you do? Smashed my iPhone 5 this morning. No insurance, Sim only contract. Definitely 100% f**ked.

Options - 2nd Hand iPhone 5S, Switch to something Android based (Good 2nd hand or new buys?)or Purchase new iPhone 6. Although I need one before the end of the week so I guess the latter is out of the question.

I do own another phone, a Moto G+ that will see me through but really I need 2 phones up and running.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
If you are willing to spend the money on a 6 then you pretty much have the options of any handset (based on price)

If you want to go Android then I'd give the Nexus 5 a shot. Still a very capable phone.
There's the LG G3, the Note (although a new one is out soon) and the M8.

The Nexus 5 can be had nee for a coupe of hundred I think.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry - should have made myself clear. The budget for a 6 is very much for a 6. I will be purchasing one, I just cant get my grubby mitts on one for 3/4 weeks. Basically, ignore the 6 unless there is anyone with stock right now.

Whatever I buy now will be a stop gap, then will replace the Moto as my second phone when I get a 6.

I like the look of the M8, but have not had fantastic experiences with HTC in the past. I guess that has changed.

The nexus looks good. Will try to find one at a decent price.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
You have to decide OS, then you can decide on the phone.

Do you want to stay with iOS, or switch to Android?

I've explained myself a little better. I need iOS for work, but can get by on Android for the short term.

I thought iPhone 6 wait times were only for contracts. Not if you wanted a handset for cash.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think you could walk into Apple and buy one tonight if you wanted.

Hey I've got a oneplus one and two invites because I brought one if anyone wants an invite let me know you have to buy the phone within 24 hours of it though pm me

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not as fast as a wired wall charger and the charge pads (decent ones) are pretty pricey to.

Personally I can't ever see me using it and the same with the IR blaster. It's great for a few minutes but then you're back to using the Sky remote again.

Gives the Droids something to claim as a victory against the Fruits though I guess.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I quite like having the wireless charge feature, I'm forever getting up and wandering about on the phone in the office so its nice to be able to just pick it up and pop it down without having to mess around with any wires.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Those two will come hand in hand. You won't get L before the new Nexus.
There is talk of a Google event on October 16th with the new Nexus phone being available from November 1st then the L update being sent out soon after for other users.
It'll also show the new tablet made by HTC.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Finished setting up my Galaxy S5, really happy with it. For me it's better than my old 5s iphone.

Also works better with both audio/phone bluetooth systems in my 200 and the Abarth.

Just thought I'd chime in since having the OPO for a few days now.

Few words to describe experience so far - absolutely fantastic!

Flashed over a new ROM, but on stock kernel (you can never beat stock for battery life), absolutely awesome phone + battery life combined. Way better than my old S4 imo (but shhh I'm selling that now).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking of the Sony Z3 again when it comes out.

I looked at it also but definitely decided on the Note4. Spec is insane. No doubt will look at the G4 and new M8 once released.

I love the fact that they've come on leaps and bounds. Offers an alternative to the Apple monopoly from years ago.

On the android/stereo thing, I think i've seen in reviews etc that android has always been better at syncing and working.

I cant wait for the returned my note 4 thread.

For what, to replace it with this?

bent_iphone_e2d5b1afdf337b6e423402062e63cf32.jpg

Somehow I doubt it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm pretty sure not even gally would replace a terrible phone for a bent/broken one. So i'd agree with you there.

With L literally round the corner i'm not sure why you'd plump for anything android until it's announced.

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Because of the Notes insane spec. Obviously...
The z3 has a similar spec, but iirc, it's not flagship enough for Gally.
I'd be waiting for the new Nexus before anything now.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Because of the Notes insane spec. Obviously...
The z3 has a similar spec, but iirc, it's not flagship enough for Gally.
I'd be waiting for the new Nexus before anything now.

Exactly, wouldnt suprise me if a 64bit K1 powered monster phone appears.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure not even gally would replace a terrible phone for a bent/broken one. So i'd agree with you there.

With L literally round the corner i'm not sure why you'd plump for anything android until it's announced.

It'll get L and great specs to run it. I did say I would sell and replace it with a HTC or LG flagship. I've played with and discounted the rest.

The only thing I didn't like about the M8 was the front design. The little speaker holes kept catching my eye. Kinda ruined it for me.

I may hate the Note. Still holding their money very well on the Note3 though. Nice to try something different.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
It'll get L and great specs to run it. I did say I would sell and replace it with a HTC or LG flagship. I've played with and discounted the rest.

The only thing I didn't like about the M8 was the front design. The little speaker holes kept catching my eye. Kinda ruined it for me.

I may hate the Note. Still holding their money very well on the Note3 though. Nice to try something different.

I went for an S5 for your reason.

'To try something different'

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The screen on the S5 is also really nice. Great size also.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
5.2 screen according to the image. I'll not be trusting that though as Shamu has been touted as the name for the new tablet, not the phone for a while across various sites.

antutu.jpg

Edit. Just read article again and there were updates. I still don't think it'll be 5.9 inch though.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I really want a new phone, i'm tempted to get the LG G3 and then upgrade again in the new year if the Nexus 6 comes out.

Saying that i probably should just wait another 5 weeks until the expected end of october beginning of november announcement / release. I will however be massively disappointed if it has a 5.9" screen. Thats the main reason i wont be going Note 4 even with the specs.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe it will be a monster. I'd be shocked if it was.