ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Anyone else getting scratches on their s8? I'm ultra careful with mine, and have a case on it, and I'm still getting scratches on the screen. Looking online it's happening a lot, they're saying it's because the new glass is softer to make it less likely to break if you drop the phone.
I've got a screen protector on. I was considering taking it off because it is peeling at the edges

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Samsung ones are nice if you like slim and to leave it feeling normal.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else getting scratches on their s8? I'm ultra careful with mine, and have a case on it, and I'm still getting scratches on the screen. Looking online it's happening a lot, they're saying it's because the new glass is softer to make it less likely to break if you drop the phone.

Nope although I never put anything in the same pocket with my phone's and I'm usually extra careful. Don't lay it face down either even with the case on.

Have been looking at getting a tempered glass screen protector though as it helps protect drops too from what I hear.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The problem with Gorilla glass as it has evolved is that in their attempt to make it more shatterproof they have opened it up to becoming less scratch resistant.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I'd rather have it less shatter proof, for the very unlikely chance that I might drop it I'd just claim on the insurance.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Samsung ones are nice if you like slim and to leave it feeling normal.
What screen protector do you have, if any?
I've just ordered a spigen clear case, £7...

Oh...

IMG_20171028_181525.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely! I don't have a screen saver mate. I will regret saying this obviously but I'm pretty careful with stuff.

My note 4 had a little thing on my bedside table so I could sit it on whilst charging and it wouldn't get marked.

I just like to look after things! My missus has a protector on her s8+ from Samsung. Any others just ruin the screen quality. The note 8 is class leader screen wise so I'd hate not to be getting the full benefit.

Most marks to screens aren't caused from dropping but from carelessness imo.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I don't mix pockets and I'm fairly careful in the car with phones, but working on a boat isn't the best for trying to keep things nice and tidy!

I'll see how thing go. Just charging it before i set it up. Hopefully it's fairly straightforward coming from the Nexus.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I'm doing now

Not keen that you still can delete certain Samsung apps.

How do you stop the lock screen notifications showing "contents hidden"?

Fingerprint sensor isn't anywhere near as good as on the 6p for position or recognition imo, it's too small and not as responsive.

I'm sure I'll get used to it though soon enough.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Wow this Nova Prime is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't struggle with the finger sensor for some reason but it's been in he Samsung case a lot which makes it so much easier to find!

Also you can disable or delete most of the s**t on there mate. My one is super streamline. Also the app drawer is great because it means you can hide most stuff in there and only have a few folders on show. Clean lines innit!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I'm doing now

Not keen that you still can delete certain Samsung apps.

How do you stop the lock screen notifications showing "contents hidden"?

Fingerprint sensor isn't anywhere near as good as on the 6p for position or recognition imo, it's too small and not as responsive.

I'm sure I'll get used to it though soon enough.

Lock screen & security > Notifications.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered the Pixel 2 XL yesterday.

I know there are a lot of complaints with the screen but I'm not too fussed. As and when Google fix it I'll RMA and get a new device.

Screen burn in was around on the 6P too. Mine is fairly bad but it doesn't bother me

200 RS 2010
Sony XZ Premium, had it since August.. but it just updated to Android 8.0 :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
What default apps on Samsung are people disabling and what are they replacing them with?

I've just got Nova launcher and I'm loving that so far but would like to know what else people are doing with their Samsung's. for reference i'm using an S8+ if that makes a difference?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What default apps on Samsung are people disabling and what are they replacing them with?

I've just got Nova launcher and I'm loving that so far but would like to know what else people are doing with their Samsung's. for reference i'm using an S8+ if that makes a difference?
Pretty much all of them with Google apps. My phone is a pixel in a Samsung body and Samsung running gear.

My FIL just got his pixel 2 delivered. It's too small for me. I prefer the XL but what a lovely phone. So smooth!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Funny I thought chrome was the bees knees and now have gone back to Samsung internet browser and its much better.

Nova Prime is excellent as is Textra

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
As Gally says, any Samsung app that can be binned off I have done.
Some can't be uninstalled unfortunately. I did uninstall the dialler by mistake when I first got it. Took me a while to get it back 😂

There's a few things available to replace the Bixby button with Google Assistant but I've not managed to get them working right. I'll have another look later though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just turn bixby off and use Google ass. The button can be turned off all together anyway.

I think you can disable or uninstall most apps these days guys. My phone runs very sleek. Very little background work.

I reckon Facebook is the cause of most phone issues. That and messenger must rape phones constantly. Thank f**k I don't use it.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve been an Apple iPhone user for many years but thinking I’ll make the switch to Android.

I’ll be switching from a tiring 5S so anything will seem like a huge improvement but which is the ‘best’ to go for? I’m thinking S8 but don’t know much about the Note, Pixel 2 etc.

I’m not a hardcore user of my phone so just a good camera, good screen and decent music capabilities is all I really need oh and a decent battery life.

200 RS 2010
So I’ve been an Apple iPhone user for many years but thinking I’ll make the switch to Android.

I’ll be switching from a tiring 5S so anything will seem like a huge improvement but which is the ‘best’ to go for? I’m thinking S8 but don’t know much about the Note, Pixel 2 etc.

I’m not a hardcore user of my phone so just a good camera, good screen and decent music capabilities is all I really need oh and a decent battery life.
Sony XZ Premium mate... End of :tongueout:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

I'd suggest the Note 8 as it really is a beast. Awesome camera, amazing screen, expandable storage (So good for media) and good battery life (In my circumstances).

You could get the S8 or S8+ as these are very similar but the Note does have the extra RAM which helps a lot with multitasking. I use the standard Touchwiz launcher with the Pixel icons and its blazing fast. The current issues with the Pixel 2XL's screen would stop me from buying that until they start using Samsung OLED screens instead of the LG ones currently fitted.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
People suggesting the note I understand why, but coming from a 5S I think it'll be a little bit too big for him.

I'd go and look at a Pixel 2. Not the XL as that'll be huge for you, but Pixel 2 will be spot on size wise. I really wish I hadn't got used to the larger phones back with the nexus 6 came out. I will really struggle to go back.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There's not very much in it between the Pixel 2 and 2XL size wise.
My note 8 is pretty much the same size as my nexus 6, just a tad narrower.

I've had a moisture warning come up on the note (It's never been wet or near moisture). Apparently it's quite common after looking online. Not the best design to be waterproof/ resistant but once it gets a bit of moisture in it, fails to charge via a cable.
Luckily a restart sorted it but I've read of people having to wait days before they can charge their phones.

As I'm typing this, it's come up again. Might be going back to the shop today.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There's not very much in it between the Pixel 2 and 2XL size wise.
My note 8 is pretty much the same size as my nexus 6, just a tad narrower.

I've had a moisture warning come up on the note (It's never been wet or near moisture). Apparently it's quite common after looking online. Not the best design to be waterproof/ resistant but once it gets a bit of moisture in it, fails to charge via a cable.
Luckily a restart sorted it but I've read of people having to wait days before they can charge their phones.

As I'm typing this, it's come up again. Might be going back to the shop today.

I've had the moisture warning on my s8. All I did was give it a wipe with a tissue using a pin to get it in the gap and it was fine again.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've had the moisture warning on my s8. All I did was give it a wipe with a tissue using a pin to get it in the gap and it was fine again.
It's not good for a 2 week old phone.
Tried wiping it last night and it didn't do anything. It's gone off on it's own accord this morning after probably 30 minutes.
And it's back on.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Tried wiping it last night and it didn't do anything. It's gone off on it's own accord this morning after probably 30 minutes.
And it's back on.
At least it isn't bursting into flames.... yet

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
And it's back on.

I'm not sure age has anything to do with it? Unless it's a poor sensor then it's probably doing what it's meant to be doing and turning off the charging rather than risk damaging it. Only thing I think could be wrong with it is if it's over sensitive to humidity or something. When mine did it I had spent the night in a hot and probably humid nightclub....

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe it's over sensitive.
It was off charge and in my hand when it came on (my hands aren't sweaty) and then it came on again today whilst it was on a desk.

Battery hasn't been great either the. Under capacity according to Accu battery and dropped 15% during a 20 minute commute listening to music then browsing on here for 10 minutes.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Could just be a faulty one. They sell millions of these things! My one has been flawless touch wood!

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Not had that with my S8, and I take it in the bathroom with me when having a bath/shower, so I'd say there's a problem with yours.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did you buy it in-store? I'd just return it while you're there tbh.

When I had the Note7, as lovely as it was hardware wise it was riddled with QC issues, probably fixable by updates, but I wouldn't have another Samsung. Nexus/Pixel if you want high-end Android (for all their issues) or something like Motorola/OnePlus if you're sticking to a budget.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It's on contract.
Had a replacement as it flagged up with us fault on his checker. Another 28 day "no quibble" returns guarantee on this handset now.

I was waiting for the pixel 2xl after having various Google phones in the past but I didn't like the sound of the screen burn after reading a few reports.
The note is ok tbh, not as good as it's made out though imo. Pretty quick, just need to restore some apps and remove some shite.