ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The loudest rattle in the world

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
My car has developed the loudest rattle in the world....EVER!

It sounds like it's coming from the dash, just above the glove box.

It's booked into the stealer's for a look at but wondered if any one had any pointers as to what it could be.

Thanks

Steve

VaVa
Not the silver trim above the glovebox is it?

I took mine off and shove some bubble wrap behind it to dampen it diwn. Worked a treat. lol.

Bye Bye 182....
dunno I got a nasty rattle from the clock section but when i put my hand on the dash at the top of the pod it stops? Any ideas

Oyster Card
I've given up trying to beat the rattles, as soon as I stop one another starts.

Currently got the old sunroof rattle, passenger door card and driver door speaker rattle on the go.

SLK 350
Volume up, rattles gone!

You checked the passenger side tweeter grill? Mines a b**ch so i glued it down.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I have had both of those rattles. The first one Renault sorted under warranty. It turned out to be the computer which was loose?!?!

The one by the clocks though I still have as its only just happened recently, build quality is crap lol.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Oh nooo!!! I lay claim to the loudest rattle in the world!!! I'll record a quick vid of it tonight. My centre section has gone and when at traffic lights or at a stationary stop...i actually sound like a tin can gone wrong :eek: .
Bloody awful,lol.
John

VaVa
4k rattle!! Mucho embarrassment and f**king annoying too. Mine went on a 350 mile trip to Cornwall.... grrrrr!!

SLK 350
Aye, i feel like a right idiot when i boot it. People just look at me and i know they're thinking "wtf is wrong with that car" amazing what a loose manifold bolt can do :(

ClioSport 182
ozzyo99 said:
Volume up, rattles gone!

You checked the passenger side tweeter grill? Mines a b*tch so i glued it down.

I've got the same rattle with the passenger side tweeter grill. What did you glue it down with, superglue? and how? Did you remove it first or just squeeze the glue liberally into the gap?

No it's not the trim nor the glovebox front. It's inside the dash.

Steve.

I've got the same too. Try pressing upwards and hard on the top of the inside of the glovebox when it is open (near the catch). Does it still happen? I don't know the cause, but I reckon the dash will need to come off to find it ... probably a trailing lead or something.

KnightAzul

SLK 350
My tweeter grills come out if you twist them enough, so it was just a case of lightly adding superglue around the connecting parts and et voila...no more rattling.

ClioSport 182
Wasn't sure if the 182 grills were supposed to pop out or not. Would hate to unplug the tweeter too and have to then take the dash off ...

KnightAzul

Best thing I've found to use to stop rattles is clear silicone sealant, like the stuff you put around baths and sinks, but clear. It moulds to the shape of to surfaces and then dries to a rubbery-type material. Plus it means that unlike superglue you can still get the dash apart afterwards if you need to...

I've done my tweeter grills, windscreen vents, trim along front of dashboard - everywhere I could basically - to try and stop all the rattles. I failed.

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
KnightAzul said:
I've got the same too. Try pressing upwards and hard on the top of the inside of the glovebox when it is open (near the catch). Does it still happen? I don't know the cause, but I reckon the dash will need to come off to find it ... probably a trailing lead or something.

KnightAzul

Yup that's it.

In the stealers next Thursday.

Steve

ClioSport 182
I took the dash off today and didn't see anything suspect in that area. The airbag lead was shrouded in foam and probably isn't the cause. Other than that there was not much there above the ceiling of the glovebox.

Will be very interested to know what Renualt can find ...

KnightAzul

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Well the stealer tried to tell me that rattles were not covered by the warranty! I told him that there were no such exclusions in my warranty book. He then said ah yes, rattles are covered for one year and agreed to carry out the work.

When I go to collect the car tomorrow I'll challenge him about where in the warranty terms and conditions it says that rattles are only covered for a year.

I'll let you know what happens.

Steve

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi has any one stripped the dash? i just had a head unit robbed n they prised the dash on both sides to get the thing out. any one replaced the grey plastic on the centre console due to theves before?

ive got a heatshield underneath rattling, oh and a rattle by the instrument panel, that a hard tap stops lol, the exhaust squeaks against the back bumper, umm the list goes on lol, oh but no creaky suspension!

ClioSport 182
One annoying rattle from the dash comes from the air vents (mostly from the passenger side on my 182). After removing the dash and having a good look there is fook all one can do about it. It's basically the plastic structure of the air vent which is "creaking" against itself - design intent!

Never heard of a 1 year rattle warranty! You are probably better off hunting the rattles yourself and learn how to fix them ... some take ages to find and the stealers will never invest that my time with you.

KnightAzul

soon to be a 200
I don't think the air vents come off but I pushed some vaseline under the vent and this seems to work.

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Sorry, forgot about this thread!

The mechanic who worked on the car wasn't there when I collected the car so I never did get to know what the cause was. It's gone though....

...and a new rattle has emerged from the passenger door area. I'll tackle that one myself!

Steve

silver cup packed FF 182
typical french cars for you! ive just bought a 182 on a 05 plate and thought id get away with a rattle free car,but having owned for 3 days ive got an annoying rattle at the top of the dashboard passenger side right by the windscreen area/vent area aswell tried wedging a bit of card between the underside of the dash and something under the glovebox area to stop the plastic moving slightly but still rattled,just seems to come and go......

mines going in on saturday for the sunroof creaking (2nd time) all the rear trim in the back rattles with the stereo, whenever i park on a hill and apply the handbrake and get out it creaks really bad from the back of the car =/ anyone know what that is?

U can drive yourself insane trying to get rid of rattles, its an impossible job because a new one will just start anyway. Just turn the music up and forget about it!