ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Isn't it just bliss to fettle and tinker rather than project a car. Make her mint as intended and then just enjoy. The current path is the correct path

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: #165 is staying. It is very much "Andy's Car" now. Or "Sharky's Car". I quite fancy a riot, though... :unsure:
Have you scribbled your name on the underside so the next time it's on a ramp they don't forget who it belongs to?
06-Bota-de-Woody.jpg

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't it just bliss to fettle and tinker rather than project a car. Make her mint as intended and then just enjoy. The current path is the correct path

Yeah, it is mate! Especially now I'm getting on a bit (so people keep telling me...) :LOL: Joking aside, I don't miss the stress and frustrations of it all. Not one bit. She will never be a minter, but she's no munter either. I'll get her back to as good a state as can be whilst simply enjoying it as is. I'm not too precious that it's a Trophy, although I can and do respect what it is. But I don't care about the residuals, the mileage, etc. as I don't plan on #165 being sold on for a VERY long time. And I want to have the means to constantly hassle and frustrate Mick over the coming years too.

Have you scribbled your name on the underside so the next time it's on a ramp they don't forget who it belongs to? View attachment 1549517

:p It is written in Sharpie and WaxOyl mate! I might also take note and write my name on the sole of my shoes. Just so the emergency services know who is trapped under the flipping thing when Christine #165 is next on said ramps. Or off them as would be the case here.

Don't polish the side skirts too much, the fading will make placing the new stickers so much easier 😂

I'm relying on them as a placement guide mate! I think I'll clean and apply the decal first, then be extra careful to correct and detail around them. 👌

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
:p It is written in Sharpie and WaxOyl mate! I might also take note and write my name on the sole of my shoes. Just so the emergency services know who is trapped under the flipping thing when Christine #165 is next on said ramps. Or off them as would be the case here.
You should do that, we don't want to see reports of Damon Hill being trapped under a pink Clio 😂😂.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
UPDATE

Despite the minor setback with the rib injury I have been making slow and steady progress on #165. I am due to start working again soon and really wanted to tick as many things off the to-do list as possible. Some things have been started, some completed, some in progress and some are yet to begin.

To start with I have bought a new plate. "T44PHY" will be staying on the Porsche, much to the dismay of quite a few people it would seem! I couldn't really find anything too similar (or, at least, for sensible money) so compromised on something slightly different. Or the same. And totally irrelevant and void of any particular meaning! :LOL: I'm sure it will become known soon when the change has happened and photos posted.

One of the BIGGEST things to happen recently, marking the end of an era, was the removal of the tax disc. I was tempted to leave it but ultimately decided it had to go. It made cleaning the windscreen easier, too. That tax disc alone gives some indication as to when I last actually had the car in my possession and was able to drive it. Briefly. Until it went tits-up again.

View attachment 1549504

Having now spent some time looking at the exterior there are quite a few dents and dings that need sorting.

View attachment 1549505

Well, they did need sorting but all is good now. The local PDR guys paid me a visit yesterday and removed the worst of them. It has made quite a pleasant difference. I can't get over how many different shades of red / pink there are on the tailgate though... :ROFLMAO: Talking of the rear, I did find that my spoiler has cracked / split on the right side near the fixing points and the boot struts were not stopping the boot short of fouling against the roof edge. This must have been happening over some years now as the affected area has been scratched all through the clearcoat and well into the paint layer. There's not much I can do about that until I decide to get it resprayed (perhaps).

A quick shot of the fleet in the sweltering 32 degree heat. I'll state now that, in case you were wondering, it is not typical of the Welsh weather.

View attachment 1549506

As can be seen in the pic above, I had to break-out the dust sheets to offer some level of protection from the sun whilst I worked on deep-cleaning the inside. It took a while as there were stains on the seats, oily fingerprints on the headliner, excessive dirt on the touch points, snail shells in the carpets, gunk and smelly s**t in and under the rubber trims... it was grim! Thankfully Mick had given it a quick going over and got rid of some of the crap for me (and he kindly got a valeter in prior to that to give it a quick going over).

The steering wheel is melted (no surprise) and will be refurbed, and the heater panel fascia is flaking and will be replaced. After some serious elbow grease and discomfort the inside came up quite nicely. The boot area is now clean and stain-free, as is the cabin. The rear bench seat is pretty decent too and the Recaro Trendlines have come up beautifully. No rips, no tears, no blemishes. Just a few scratches on the rear plastic backs of the seats where things have rubbed against them during... well, during whatever happened in the time before it arrived at Mick's.

View attachment 1549507
View attachment 1549508

In truth I was feeling a bit deflated recently as I had really wanted to get on with sorting #165, but the rib discomfort and lack of sleep was getting to me. The excessive heat didn't bother me too much but it still was draining. Then, out of the blue, I received a fantastic gift from a good friend on here - with this lovely piece of artwork very kindly crafted by his daughter. Honestly, it made my day. And then some. A totally unexpected letter through the door, but an extremely kind and generous gesture and a very welcome pick-me-up. No lies, I was cutting onions at the time. True story... :unsure: Again, thanks for this wonderful drawing.

View attachment 1549509

Erm... what else...? Ah yes, I decided to finish off refurbing the carbon splitter. Wet and dry with 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit, 1800 grit and then DA rotary polisher with compounds and polish to finish it. Once that was done it was given 3 or 4 coats of clear lacquer and the result was as pictured below. It's still not perfect, but it looks a LOT better and helps freshen up the front end!

View attachment 1549510

Talking of freshening the front, I also gave the headlights another quick going over to remove some of the fogging / clouding but I think I'll get new items in the future.

The only other thing of note right now is that I removed the old 'Ring stickers and my old car club stickers. and also removed the damaged and faded side Trophy decals on the skirts. I have replacements that will be going on once I have had a go at correcting and detailing the paintwork. 3 hours. THREE hours to get the decals off! Despite the 32 degree heat, and the use of my better half's hair dryer, the glue just would not relinquish its hold. I was worried about scratching and even warping the plastic due to the heat I was directing towards it. Another 30 seconds and the decals would probably have burned and become ash! This pic doesn't show it too well but you can see "TROPHY" on the side skirts in the car's original colour. :LOL::ROFLMAO: To be fair, they haven't faded too badly!

View attachment 1549511

I think that's about it for now, more to follow soon.

See the footrest I made you has survived all this ordeal unscathed 🤣🤣🤣

Get a snappy wheel retrim👌

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So... it's still alive and bits are slowly getting done on #165! Alas, I've been too busy with work, had a bit of bad health, and the weather has been absolutely pants (even for Wales) so it's nowhere near as far along as I'd hoped it to be. Thankfully all mechanicals are sound and it's mainly cosmetic stuff that needs tidying up. It also needs a decent set of new tyres but trying to get a decent set in 205/45/16 is proving incredibly frustrating these days.

20220103_132332.jpg

20220103_132101.jpg

(Sorry, the Porker is a photo whore and I can't help myself).

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That would be cool if you could, would love to see them in person (and meet yourself of course)

Fingers crossed! I'm trying to get either my missus or a mate to bring the Trophy along and I'll be in the Porker. I don't quite trust anyone else yet! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

EDIT: Likewise, it would be great to meet your good self too!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE // 17-JAN-2022

I wake up restless
as the mercury struggles to raise itself above zero degrees C. It's cold, damp, icy. A wry smile briefly flits across my face as I realise it's pretty much a reflection of my mood. A light breakfast of fruit, washed down with a mug of Douwe Egberts finest, does little to ease the restlessness. I find myself instinctively reaching for the car keys and, plucking them from atop the oak console, am greeted by a warm feeling; a feeling that the day may not be so bad after all.

20220115_154619-edit01.jpg

I pull the door closed and settle into Trophy #165's Recaro seat. Despite the growing eagerness to take it out, I temper my enthusiasm - briefly - and quietly sit in silence. It's been such a long time since we last enjoyed a real drive together. It feels good, it feels familiar. It feels a lot more special than a 16-year-old French hot-hatch has any right to. With one hand on the London-bus sized steering wheel (with the obligatory 'melting' thumb grips) my other hand turns the key in the ignition. The fuel pumps prime and the heater fans spin - a familiar precursor as #165 awakes from her slumber. Together, we cautiously make our way towards a favourite ribbon of tarmac. Steady, easing into it. We are both getting on in years now and aged track day tyres ensure I treat #165 with heightened respect. Slowly we start to wake up and #165's eagerness begins to make itself known through the throttle pedal. Almost there.

20220115_154819-edit01.jpg

Within 100 yards, the outlying houses vanish and we are greeted with nothing but a vast expanse of pure south Wales beauty. The road is empty, both car and driver now fully alert, as it begins to wind its way over and through the mountains, hills and valleys. The tyres surprise me as they afford a level of grip that I wasn't expecting; no wheel-sawing as we take a tightening radius left turn at a healthy pace before unwinding the wheel in the opposite direction to navigate a climbing right-hander. No-fuss, no dramas. #165 tucks in her nose and settles, allowing me to liberally press the loud pedal earlier than I had anticipated. The road gently winds and climbs, my attention being drawn to roadside movement some distance ahead. Sheep. "Welcome to Wales", says the voice in my head. Fortune favours our cause and the dishevelled pair of sheep move further from the road, and we maintain our progress as we enter a gentle right-hander... Boom. The money shot. Stunning views for mile after mile across south Wales. Alas, the real beauty - today at least - is in the drive, my focus instantly returns to the road ahead.

20220115_154759-edit01.jpg

The road drops and we enter a mildly off-camber left-hander, made all the more perfect by the fact I hit my first perfect heel and toe downshift of the day. A right, then a left, followed by another right and a sweeping left. The steering feels surprisingly good and the engine is singing as we head over the summit and down towards the valley below. Still, the road is clear and a few wild ponies fleetingly raise their heads to acknowledge our presence. I have to press the brakes a little harder as I set the car for the downhill, off-camber left-hander - #165 goading me to push just a little more. Carving our way through the bend we drop further still and are greeted by a right-hand hairpin. Here, the front wheels scrabble momentarily as I ask, fractionally, for too much of the tyres. It's not a problem and #165 maintains a nice arc and healthy pace through the bend. I am unable to resist a quick squirt and indulge myself, before jumping heavily onto the ample brakes in order to slow down for the fast-approaching cattle grid.

20220115_154855-edit01.jpg

We enjoy a brisk canter down to the village below, #165 pinging and popping and an ear-to-ear grin etched across my face. Realisation dawns and I find myself thanking the car for the experience; I needed that badly and I was not disappointed. I absolutely love my Porsche GT4 but today was all about the Trophy. On these roads, in these conditions, the GT4 wouldn't have stood a chance. And I can't think of any car I'd rather be in as we reach the t-junction that marks the end of the road. I glance right, left, and then right again before swinging the car around through 180 degrees. It would be a shame not to get at least another run or two in, wouldn't it?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE // 15-JUN-2022

So I figured that it was about time
that I provided an update on #165. It's been a while since I last documented what was/is going on and how it is doing. Lucky you, eh? :LOL:

20220507_190018.jpg

To be perfectly honest... not a lot has been happening with #165. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I've simply not had the time to finish off some of the little bits and pieces that I wanted to address in time for the summer (i.e. now). The paintwork still needs doing, fresh decals still need applying, the steering wheel is in dire need of a refurb, and a few other odds and sods. On the plus side, it is still driving beautifully and manages to coax a smile despite the recent ups and downs that life can bring. Well, it was until recently at least!

It's been a workhorse of late, and it's seen more than a few miles of late, too. I think I racked up something like 1400 miles recently over the space of about 10 days. And, credit where it's due, it didn't miss a beat. But - alas - that did not last. Having returned home following those busy aforementioned 10 days, I woke up the following morning and wanted to grab a couple of plants from the local garden centre. Jumped into the Trophy, turned the key in the ignition, and then nothing. It was trying to turn over but the fuel pump was not having any of it. I called AA to take advantage of their HomeStart service and had no luck there, either. In fact, by that time, things had worsened and there were no comms with the ECU at all. And so the car remained stranded on the bottom part of the driveway until I had the strength to push it back up later in the day!

20220602_155310.jpg

I was pretty pis- miffed as I really needed the car to be reliable given everything else that was/is going on. I got straight onto the phone and booked it back in with Mick at Diamond Motors - he knows Le Clio Bast*rd Rouge better than anybody - to get it looked at and fixed. He was pretty sure he knew what the problem would be right away. I was also on the phone with Dan "The Man" Cole who kindly provided his services and would transport #165 up to Mick. It was a bit of an effort getting a dead Trophy onto the trailer, especially as both Dan and I are struggling with shoulder injuries!

20220607_094702.jpg

A couple of days later and #165 was pulling up at Mick's workshop. In true Mick style, he had the bl00dy thing running before Dan had even undone the tethering straps. He was right, he did know what the problem would be and he - of course - would be able to fix it. The problem - surprise, surprise - was the engine loom. In returning the car to standard, and not being able to buy a brand new loom, I had to take a punt on a second-hand item and it seems that I have bought someone else's problems. Possibly. Mick had already had to patch and repair some of the loom prior to getting the car back to me before and, sadly, the loom was the source of this latest issue too. After a quick chat, Mick had a solution involving a custom connector and fresh wiring that - hopefully - would resolve the issue. The bottom line is that I didn't want the hassle and expense of another secondhand loom and the potential issues that it may bring - and ending up back at square one again. Moving the story forward a day or two later and - hey presto - #165 is purring and running nicely once again.

Whilst in Mick's care (he should probably charge me rent/storage fees) the car also had a couple of minor bits addressed - such as a failing exhaust hanger and the standard heatshield rattle. He also kindly offered to remove my flaking heater control panel and replace it with one of the two spares I have in my possession...

...and that immediately backfired. Having bought two spare heater control panels (with the manual AC button, poverty spec, for the Trophy) I'd never actually opened them before. And I've had them for years. Imagine my surprise, and annoyance, when they both turn out to be the wrong items and have no AC whatsoever. FFS. I can't really go and ask for a refund seeing as I've had them for 6-7 years sitting on a shelf. The problem with getting a replacement is that they are hard to come by and are no longer available. Hmm. On the off chance, Mick made an attempt to get me a brand new one from a contact in France (even though no longer available) and they found one in stock. Brand new. Unopened. Unused. Bonus. But at £210 (give or take) my ar$ehole is still stinging.

20220615-WA0000.jpg

In summary, another expensive bill is on its way. And it's why I'm having a bit of a wobble and considering selling it. Sure, it drives great, it is still capable of providing plenty of smiles, it's in great condition for a 17-year-old car, and it has a low-ish mileage engine in it (<70k, even if it is the 3rd, 4th, 5th engine - I've lost count!) We shall see. I might give it another chance. This is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things but it's still another significant bill that grates, especially after what we've been through together! With a bit of luck, #165 will be home in a week or so and I'll then decide what I'm going to do with it.

Massive thanks to Mick and Dan - legends in their own minds! And to me, too. :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a hell of an update. Hard to know what reaction to choose! Happiness because it got fixed with the help of some utter legends, sad because it broke, angry because of the wrong heater controls!

I just hope the next update is ‘Yep, it’s fine, it works brilliantly, it’s beautiful, and I love it’

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely use her over the summer, before you make your mind up. I can't imagine you not regretting selling her some time down the line. Plus we wouldn't get any more well written updates!

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
The like I have is for the update, not necessarily the topics covered! Sorry to hear it has not been reliable but great to hear it has been sorted. Hopefully you’re able to sell the heater panels though not sure many people will want non-ac buttoned one :(

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a hell of an update. Hard to know what reaction to choose! Happiness because it got fixed with the help of some utter legends, sad because it broke, angry because of the wrong heater controls!

I just hope the next update is ‘Yep, it’s fine, it works brilliantly, it’s beautiful, and I love it’

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up on it just yet, but each 'setback' gets closer to the line. I know it's only a relatively minor thing given the car's history, and you have to expect issues with older cars, but it is still frustrating nevertheless. On a positive note, #165 is running nicely again and Mick is putting a few miles on it to ensure all is good. He mentioned something about, "sending it at Donny" so I guess it held up ok. :ROFLMAO:

Hopefully, the next update won't be too far away and will be a bit more positive. That's the thing, it still drives scarily well when it works!

Definitely use her over the summer, before you make your mind up. I can't imagine you not regretting selling her some time down the line. Plus we wouldn't get any more well written updates!

I'm not going to make any rash decisions mate. This little issue aside, it has been a rock over recent months and been invaluable in terms of shuttling me to/from South Wales and North Nottinghamshire (on many an occasion, sometimes daily!) If it does go, there will be regrets no doubt. I'm not sure what I'd replace it with.

The like I have is for the update, not necessarily the topics covered! Sorry to hear it has not been reliable but great to hear it has been sorted. Hopefully you’re able to sell the heater panels though not sure many people will want non-ac buttoned one :(

Cheers, mate - do you need a heater panel? :ROFLMAO: I'll probably let them go for the cost of postage/delivery as I have zero use for them.

@SharkyUK

Met your mate. Forget his name but does windscreen repairs lol.

Ah yes, he did mention it mate! :ROFLMAO: He couldn't remember your name (or didn't know it) and referred to you as Subaru Impreza guy... it was quite easy to put two and two together! (y)

@SharkyUK You can't give up now!!. Isn't that a small bump in the road for this car?. I do hope you keep it.

Even brand new cars can give headaches from time to time believe you me.

Indeed sir, a small bump. The frustration really is that the small bumps have big costs these days and I feel it owes me a break and a fair few quid back! But I do agree, even new cars can bring their own issues and headaches. Absolutely.

probably more!

You certainly can and do hear horror stories!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE // 20-JUN-2022

I have some good news!
The Trophy is now stripped for track use and will be sold before it gets within 25 miles of a track! :p:ROFLMAO:

Joking aside, the old and flaky heater control panel is now out...

IMG-20220618-WA0003.jpg

...and the brand-spanking-new panel is in.

IMG-20220618-WA0002.jpg

It was hard work... instructing Mick (Diamond Motors) to do the work for me. He came through as he usually does!

I've also decided to give it another chance hence it will NOT be going up for sale. #165 will be returning home on Friday all being well. :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE // 24-JUN-2022

And, once again, #165 returns home! Fingers crossed that the engine loom niggles have been sorted for good (or a good while at least). I'm hoping that I can make a start on tidying it up a bit now as it really does need a bit of TLC to get back to a standard I'm happy with. Given the neglect and lack of care it received whilst in the hands of a certain specialist I'm surprised it has held up as well as it has, but here we are and I'm looking forward to cracking on.

Again, a massive thanks to Mick at Diamond Motors for sorting Le Clio B*stard Rouge's latest round of niggles and a massive thanks to @Daniel for transporting it to and from Mick's workshop. Thank you, gents. :)

I also noticed an extra little modification that Mick carried out for me whilst the car was with him. Easily an extra 8bhp.

20220625_163226.jpg

:ROFLMAO: (y)

20220625_163202.jpg