ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The latest Norris Designs Evo Crash (Castle Combe)

CB600FS
I've never seen the point in putting sub 2.0 litre Saxos/VTRS/Clios against 500bhp+ Evos etc anyway. Do the drivers themselves choose what group to go in? - As in Novice/Intermediate/Expert?

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I think he really has nothing like the experience to be doing this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no rev-matching changing down a gear (and he actually unsettles the car in several corners), or heel and toe'ing if you will, either?

No, the more I think about it and the more I look at his videos the more I think that getting that level of race licence is far too easy. He just relies on straightline power, no cornering finesse whatsoever.

Sounds bang on to me - Just doesn't seem smooth atall. This bloke seems to be anchoring up 50 yds before the red cars even thought about braking. Soon as the red Evo overtakes he just goes into keep up at all costs mode, and catches him out.

106 GTi
Classes are decided by engine size etc.

Class A (4wd up to 3500cc)
Class B (2wd 1801cc to 3500cc)
Class C (2wd 1401cc to 1800cc)
Class D (2wd up to 1400cc)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Think that a very one sided and exceptional case, Simon is very well respected in the EVO circles. In terms of engine development he is been well in advanved of everyone for a while (and still is).

Tuners just **** each other off, EVO or Clio it always happens.

He may know his evos, but he obviously doesnt know his silvias.

b****cks, u will prob find simon didnt even work on the car and if he did it wouldnt of been shoddy... my 200 went to nd and the work was fine and i have seen the work he does, fastest s13 in the uk had work done on it there...

norris knows his s**t and has to much to loose to do shitty work... he charges a f**king fortune but he does good work...

I've never seen the point in putting sub 2.0 litre Saxos/VTRS/Clios against 500bhp+ Evos etc anyway. Do the drivers themselves choose what group to go in? - As in Novice/Intermediate/Expert?

Financial viability, mainly. If multi-class racing didn't exist then there would be far fewer Championships and opportunties to go racing in this country.

As I mentioned the last time he crashed, the speed/time differential in the CC Saloon Car Championship is hardly any different from many of the other mixed-class Championships that visit Castle Combe (or any other circuit) each year, I did a little check on various Championships around the countru and and there was an average of a 20-25% difference generally, in the CC Saloons it was 19%. And anyhow, the Astra of Mark Wyatt and the Ibiza Cupras (all from Class B) can easily mix it with the lower to mid end of Class A, yes they have plenty of power but they are also driven brilliantly.

The difference in the other local championship (CC Special GTs) is far far greater, but those races pass without any major problems time after time.

And anyway, for this particular race the Class C and D cars had their own seperate race, so that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Financial viability, mainly. If multi-class racing didn't exist then there would be far fewer Championships and opportunties to go racing in this country.

As I mentioned the last time he crashed, the speed/time differential in the CC Saloon Car Championship is hardly any different from many of the other mixed-class Championships that visit Castle Combe (or any other circuit) each year, I did a little check on various Championships around the countru and and there was an average of a 20-25% difference generally, in the CC Saloons it was 19%. And anyhow, the Astra of Mark Wyatt and the Ibiza Cupras (all from Class B) can easily mix it with the lower to mid end of Class A, yes they have plenty of power but they are also driven brilliantly.

The difference in the other local championship (CC Special GTs) is far far greater, but those races pass without any major problems time after time.

And anyway, for this particular race the Class C and D cars had their own seperate race, so that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Really, tell me another championship series that has cars with 1400cc 115 hp to top class 700hp..........

Yes multi class racing is the norm but the power/speed differential here is just f**king dangerous. The series shouldnt be scrapped but should be changed, 34mm air restrictors would do it.. ;)

Really, tell me another championship series that has cars with 1400cc 115 hp to top class 700hp..........

I didn't say power difference, I said speed / lap times. Doesn't really matter if they have 700bhp, Tim Hanlon threw a 1.8 205 GTi around the track (in a race) in just 2 seconds less than those front-running Class A guys.

I'm very very sad and I spent an hour working it out (as people didn't believe me!), average difference from a random selection of championships around the country was no different to that of the Saloon Car Championship at Combe.

I'm happy to show you some figures when I have a bit more time :)

Clio 172 mk2
Ant, i was watching him on the day and tbh he is a f**king liability.

Over avonrise where the car has no weight due to a bump in the road, he was steering AND braking. The car was twitching all over the place. That has not nothing to do with the cars power or the brakes, its down to a lack of control.

I'm not saying i'm a better driver than him, i'm just pointing out that he is not the man to be driving that car.

+1

All about being smooth which he's not

Builds f**king great engines/cars though

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
how does an evo run a 12.9 with 841bhp? worst driver on the planet .He must of been in reverse

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

I didn't say power difference, I said speed / lap times. Doesn't really matter if they have 700bhp, Tim Hanlon threw a 1.8 205 GTi around the track (in a race) in just 2 seconds less than those front-running Class A guys.

I'm very very sad and I spent an hour working it out (as people didn't believe me!), average difference from a random selection of championships around the country was no different to that of the Saloon Car Championship at Combe.

I'm happy to show you some figures when I have a bit more time :)

Its the power differential that causes the crashes not the differential in time.

Group B rally cars 600hp where band as they were too out of control (LOTS OF SERIOUS CRASHES), Current WRC cars have 300hp and are quicker but easier/safer in the hands of Joe Bloggs.

The main point is that for anyone less than the STIG to drive, 700hp evos will just be a balistic crash waiting to happen. Championships should not allow drivers of limited ability to drive these tyes of cars. The FIA well MSA should sort it.

Its the HP thats the issue, the top catagories should be limited on engine hp.

Its the power differential that causes the crashes not the differential in time.

Group B rally cars 600hp where band as they were too out of control (LOTS OF SERIOUS CRASHES), Current WRC cars have 300hp and are quicker but easier/safer in the hands of Joe Bloggs.

The main point is that for anyone less than the STIG to drive, 700hp evos will just be a balistic crash waiting to happen. Championships should not allow drivers of limited ability to drive these tyes of cars. The FIA well MSA should sort it.

If it's not speed but power then it's purely a driving issue, as closing speeds would be irrelevent. How do you deal with that though? Castle Combe as a racing club are certainly limited in their powers to do anything as the overall regs (licences etc) come from higher up. BHP limits are interesting and would be preferred, but are very very hard (if not impossible) to regulate every race of the season.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying btw, I was just quoting facts, I've hardly missed a Saloon Race for 4 years now and it was much better before Keith Murray turned up in his A4 (which was what kickstarted the Class A thing).

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

If it's not speed but power then it's purely a driving issue, as closing speeds would be irrelevent. How do you deal with that though? Castle Combe as a racing club are certainly limited in their powers to do anything as the overall regs (licences etc) come from higher up. BHP limits are interesting and would be preferred, but are very very hard (if not impossible) to regulate every race of the season.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying btw, I was just quoting facts, I've hardly missed a Saloon Race for 4 years now and it was much better before Keith Murray turned up in his A4 (which was what kickstarted the Class A thing).

Easy - air restrictors like in Rally car / Gt cars say 36mm. Job done no 2ltr EVO / SUB / COSSIE will get over 310 hp but will have lots of torque....

The cars are too powerful for the drivers to handle, theres always a risk but motorsport safety is about limiting risk. This Championship is very high risk, i certainly would be entering it.

He may know his evos, but he obviously doesnt know his silvias.

b****cks, u will prob find simon didnt even work on the car and if he did it wouldnt of been shoddy... my 200 went to nd and the work was fine and i have seen the work he does, fastest s13 in the uk had work done on it there...

norris knows his s**t and has to much to loose to do s**tty work... he charges a f**king fortune but he does good work...

You're confusing anecdotal evidence with facts.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

norris knows his s**t and has to much to loose to do s**tty work... he charges a f**king fortune but he does good work...

No i think you are, 100s will say great things (with facts) and 1 says hes crap with not much detail behind the issue......

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

the fact simon has worked on my 200 is fact enough... now go suck eggs somewhere else.

Nippy white cup
how does an evo run a 12.9 with 841bhp? worst driver on the planet .He must of been in reverse

Different motor m8...runs 9`s in the green and black beast. Does it say that one from the vid does 12's or have I missed something on the posts. 12.9 isn't much better than a standard Evo RS (4 iirc) so if it is the white one then he still is doing something very wrong

Chris

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Regardless of how good he is at engine building (pretty irrelevant), he looks like a rich fool with too powerful a car. Cornering one handed, left hand resting on gearknob when he's not shifting. WTF? It's a race, not a drive through. Most people with limited knowledge know that shifting mid corner is a no-no.

MY10 R35 GTR
we were at the time attack yesterday at knockhill and the commentator was talking to one if the car owners. Cant remember which one but it went along the lines of that he knows the PRO cars are seriously quick and he's way out of his depth in one hence why they get a driver from outside to some in.

Alot of car owners and developers are doing that..................... maybe somit Mr Norris should consider.

The red/orange evo looked pretty sorted, apart from 1 or 2 mistakes. He wasnt all over the track dropping the wheels off the tarmac every 2 seconds like MR Norris

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Different motor m8...runs 9`s in the green and black beast. Does it say that one from the vid does 12's or have I missed something on the posts. 12.9 isn't much better than a standard Evo RS (4 iirc) so if it is the white one then he still is doing something very wrong

Chris

I dont really know mate.I read this from the pages that followed on in youtube.Where someone said that he ran these figures.I could be wrong

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Chris

I dont really know mate.I read this from the pages that followed on in youtube.Where someone said that he ran these figures.I could be wrong

Yes you are.

In a stroke of genius Combe solved the Simon Norris problem today.

The solution...?

RAIN!

Qualified 23rd (17 places behind any of his class rivals) behind 106 Rallyes and 205s etc and then finished the race in 17th 5 seconds behind Will de Claudio in the 106 XSi who started behind him.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
PMSL! All these people that stick up for him can stick it up their bumholes. I've said it before and i'll say it again... THE BLOKE CAN'T DRIVE FOR s**t!

How did Chrissy get on rich?

Megane Trophy
I saw his new car in scrutineering this morning and then at the end of the day when the exhaust fell off.

Hats off to any of you who stood around and watched the racing, I was cold and soaked and I was working.

Saw quite a few clios in the paddock must say!

106 GTi
I felt sorry for all the Caterham drivers out there in the rain ! The tin top boys have it easy!

I went unprepared with no coat lol - lucky I borrowed one.

Megane Trophy
I felt sorry for all the Caterham drivers out there in the rain ! The tin top boys have it easy!

I went unprepared with no coat lol - lucky I borrowed one.
Drivers were fine it was us poor sods standing on the wall with pit boards for 30 mins!

1 win in race 1 anyway for my guy :D
Then 3rd in race 2 for other driver :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't suppose you know how Dave Kift got on do you??

He rang me 20 minutes before his race and about 10 minutes after but i missed his call! Feel quite rude now!

Black 205 gti?

106 GTi
Don't suppose you know how Dave Kift got on do you??

He rang me 20 minutes before his race and about 10 minutes after but i missed his call! Feel quite rude now!

Black 205 gti?

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg